Favorite 3rd Gen S&W

Wreck-n-Crew

I always thought they were a step or two down from glock, sig, and beretta. I believe the market concurred.
They were too expensive to manufacture for one. But they were ultra reliable. I own Glock's too but I cannot get the 5906 to fail. And accuracy? Awesome.

Accuracy and reliability in semi autos are nothing new. The Ruger Metal frame P series and the Metal frame S&W would chew through any ammo. Police used S&W almost everywhere when Glock came around. But there was the cost issue. S&W could not compete using a machined high cost frame. LE from that era can tell you they were great guns. S&W going to a polymer frame was like Glock building a metal frame revolver today. They might not struggle as much, but it's not their Forte.

History aside there is more flavor than just chocolate ice cream and it is nice to have all of these flavors to pick and choose from, to enjoy, and get a change of taste every one in a while. Eat cheeseburgers everyday as an only food source and sooner or later you might find yourself switching from McDonald's to Burger King and from Ketchup Pickles and Onions to Mayo, Tomato, Lettuce, Onions and Ketchup. Up next Wendy's for a Baconator!:D

leadcounsel

I discovered these just in time... at the bottom of the price market.

I've read these were $700+ guns when they were new, so by today's standards that would be some $1000+ new!

They recently (last decade) flooded the used markets having been overtaken by the plastic fantastic models... and you could buy them for $300-$400...

Any of the 3 or 4 digit models are awesome. I've only run into one that didn't suit me, a 469 that I simple could not shoot straight or get a good grip on. Other than that, I've found the 5906, 6906, 457, 4516, 4006, 4046, 4003, etc. are just well-made, solid and awesome pistols!

Prices are still low-ish, but climbing.

The only Smith semi-auto I have is a 4506. Former police gun.

I wanted one of the big semis since the 1980s, when I first saw a 645.

geetarman

I have a 5906 and a 4506. Both great guns but I don't shoot them much. Also have a model 59 that has less than 200 rounds through it.

Skans

Ahhh, why no love for the 2nd Gen S&W '...59's? With my 659, I can choose from an assortment of grips - can't do that with the 3rd gens.

P5 Guy

S&W 3906

I'd like to find a nice one with all the packaging and such. If it has a little finish wear I'd still be happy to give it a good home and plenty of love.
A CS9 would also get a good home.
I have a 39-2 and a 639.

Sevens

The 469 and 59 were actually 2nd generation guns.
No, the Model 59 was the First Generation double-stack and was introduced after the original Grand Daddy of them all, the Model 39. Like the Model 39, the Model 59 was ceased in 1982, when the Second Generation guns began.

Waspinator

I don't own one and only ever shot one 3rd gen S&W. It was in my CCW class. The instructor brought along his 5906. He said he had some trigger work done to it, but I had/have nothing to compare it to, so I will take his word on it. It was a very nice shooting gun and it was the first time shooting a semi-auto pistol ever for me. Every shot went into the X ring, touching each other, on a B27 target at 7 yards. That is still the best I have ever shot any handgun at the range, including the several I personally own now,lol

So, I can truly see the appeal for these guns, the one I fired was very nice and left a very good impression on me (if I'm in a LGS and see one, it will take willpower to walk away from it, I can tell you that).

mrray13

I don't own a 3rd gen, I've got the granddaddy as someone put it, a 39-2. I love that thing and got it just before prices went north. I've owned a m410, and miss it. Was the first .40 s&w I ever owned. I want a 45xx or maybe a 10xx, just gotta find the right one.

They are sexy little pistols.

Sevens

I want a 45xx or maybe a 10xx, just gotta find the right one.

They are sexy little pistols.
They may be sexy, but they ain't little on anyone's scale! :p

Opinions may vary as to WHY these guns are no longer made, but I truly believe it's simply because time and the market passed them by. DA/SA guns, and early versions of DAO all-metal handguns are simply NOT what the buying public is asking for these days. When Smith & Wesson finally decided that there was a -massive- living, breathing market for 1911 pistols and they capitulated and began building them, it rang the death knell for the 3rd Gens.

These guns are phenomenal, IMO, and historically noteworthy in so many ways. I have four of 'em - one 1st Gen, one 2nd Gen and two 3rd Gens, and I doubt that I'm done snagging them.

Their legend will continue to live on and grow as the enthusiasts snag them up here and there.

Onward Allusion

5946TSW. Gotta have that rail. :D

It has the smoothest DAO I've ever experienced in a semi-auto.

Next up is the 5906TSW. Still got the rail, but the DA/SA transition is a bit harder for me because I am a DAO kind of guy with semis and only shoot DA with revolvers. The light trigger, while helps with my accuracy, has me doing some inadvertent double-taps every now and then.

Onward Allusion

The 910, while based on the previous 915 - itself a less expensive variant of the excellent 5904 - was actually a cheapened "value line series pistol". Not as well made as the standard 3rd gen pistols.

The 915 is almost exactly like a 5904. It just has cheaper 3 dot plastic sights and a right thumb only decocker/safety. Now the 910 is junk by 3rd gen Smith standards. No full length frame rail for the slide. Plastic guide rod. Plastic sights. No built in barrel bushing lug. For these reasons, the 910 is not as accurate as the other 3rd gens.

hAkron

I have a bunch and I love them all. One of my more recent finds was a 4513TSW, original non-railed 6 shot version. One of the easiest shooting compact .45's I've ever handled. I would carry it if they still made them (I don't want to ruin my good one).

skoro

For me, it's the 3913. Compact and shoots so nicely. I prefer it to my M&P9c in all respects except capacity.

mavracer

I don't like slide mounted safetys so I actually prefer the 3rd gen smitHs with the frame mounted decocker. I have a 1076 and a 6926. All of the 3rd gen smiths are good though.

Amendtwo

My vote is for the 3913. I was lucky enough to find two of them last year, one of which is the TSW version. They are compact, reliable, and accurate.

Bart Noir

Yeah, I do like the 3rd Gens and have a bunch.

My 3914 is the rare black Lady Smith and I've carried it enough that the slide blueing is too thin now. I think I'll soon be getting the slide Ceracoated.

It's fat brother is a 6906 which has a stainless slide and a double stack magazine. The frame is marked "State Fire Marshal" so it a tad unusual also.

Am I right that the xxxxTSW models have had some extra work done on the triggers and sears etc? Or are they the same as all the others internally?

Until now I had never even heard of the 6926. Only made for one year, it seems.

Bart Noir