Fatal Shooting at the Range

Rant Casey

Says there is a SQL error.

edit - working now.

That's quite sad, I wonder what happened. You wouldn't think someone at a rifle range would make for an easy victim for someone.

Last edited:

Freakdaddy

Here's a link to a similar situation that happened 20 miles north of where I live. My dad and I used to go shoot up there quite a bit before this happened.

http://websolutions.learfield.com/d...?objectid=8F209DF0-5245-4F49-BA25E5BC923F0A1D

Ironically, I was talking with a retired State Trooper at my gun range this past week that helped work the case. These four guys were at a hardware store that sold guns/hunting equipment. The perp just happened to be in there as well. One of them bought a Browning rifle and pulled out a wad of cash, nothing out of the ordinary though. My guess is a tax return but not certain. They made mention of going up to the Marshall Junction shooting range to sight it in. The perp went up there and hid in the timber until they emptied their guns and then killed them. Even at our gun club rifle range, which is a members only club, this trooper always keeps a sidearm on him just in case. After talking to him, I think I'm going to adopt this practice as well. As the saying goes, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Stay safe.

brj

You wouldn't think someone at a rifle range would make for an easy victim for someone.

Exactly. The range is the one place where you're pretty much locked and loaded. Unfortunately, so is everyone else.

Our public range is very secluded. More often than not I'm the only one there. You can see and hear another vehicle long before it arrives. Even so, if someone is up to no good, you're still at a distinct disadvantage.

Even at our gun club rifle range, which is a members only club, this trooper always keeps a sidearm on him just in case. After talking to him, I think I'm going to adopt this practice as well. As the saying goes, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Stay safe.

+1

Tom2

What was the point? Just sicko work or was there a gun stolen in the process? Makes no sense to me.

hoytinak

I rarely shoot at public ranges, but even at our own privite club I always have a CCW on me. If I plan on shooting my main CCW that day, I replace it with another before I leave the house. You never know what could happen.

Darren007

Here in Colorado, there are "designated" shooting areas in and around the National Forests. Youre not limited to only shooting in these areas, but for the sake of convienance I sometimes frequent them as a lot of them are located right next to the road or highway; with only a short walk to the area after pulling over.

There are no range officers, your on your own, and because of that I have many friends who refuse to go anywhere near these "make shift" shooting ranges. Mostly, based on the fact that they are not monitored and you never know whos going to show up and do what.

Though I suppose you could argue the same over actual shooting ranges whether indoor or out...

You wouldn't think someone at a rifle range would make for an easy victim for someone.

I have met more people in condition white at gun ranges than I would have imagined, even "tactical" people. Many simply feel very comfortable with their fellow shooters who show similar interests. We are all brothers in firearms, right?

Then you have issues such as hearing protection isolating you from your environment (if you don't have electronic muffs).

I used to get a kick out of Garland PD SWAT practicing at Collin County Gun Range in Texas. The sniper guys would shoot then go down to inspect targets, leaving their rifles unattended.

44 AMP

Staff
Remember the Miami shootout?

Waay back in, what was it, 1986? Before being killed in their famous shootout with the FBI, the two badguys, Platt and Matix, cruised the Everglades, looking for plinkers and then killed them for their guns and cars. We know this because one of the guys they shot and left for dead in the swamp survived.

At a range I know of, one fellow, who was there by himself wound up shooting his own truck as it was being stolen! Or at least that's the story that got told. Cops did later arrest some punks, so it may have been true.

Two legged predators do not have any specific habitat limits, and can be found anywhere, even in the wilderness. When out shooting, I normally have a handgun I do not shoot (that day) on me. And I never shoot ALL the ammo I take with me for the guns I do shoot, just in case.

steveno

private ranges and other places where people go to shoot aren't the biggest secrets in the world. it pays to pay attention

MeekAndMild

I think that it's pretty telling that someone has dug up a handful of incidents like this; one report is from the mid 80's and another one a summary of a criminal execution which took place over a decade ago. Putting those few cases in perspective is the probability that there are over twenty or thirty million separate range visits per year.

Having said that I use electronic ear muffs at the range, go early in the mornings, spend a lot of effort to meet and talk to the other shooters and carry both an open and a concealed pistol when I'm shooting at the public range. The biggest threat I usually see is some idiot who decides to walk down to look at his target while the range is hot.

wayneinFL

"You wouldn't think someone at a rifle range would make for an easy victim for someone."

Why not? If it's a cold range- and I don't know of one that isn't- You can't have a loaded gun except on the firing line. Notice the guys who were shot were near their cars when killed, not on the firing line with loaded guns.

I have thought about this many a night when going out to my outdoor range to test fire my latest batch of reloads (new recipes only). I don't have any nice amplified ears so I would just literally park in the middle of the 300 range (25 yards away from the 150 yard berm) and shoot them in the open (with the berm on both sides) with no ears.

The RO was out one night and told me he often did the same thing when out at night alone. Every now and then a group of us will meet up at nightfall and have a night session.

I also make a habit to have a loaded weapon on me when I go downrange to change/post/paste targets. You never know...

AMX

I always CCW at the range. One day last summer, I was shooting my M16 and I noticed some guy kept driving past the shooting bay I was using, watching me. I figured he probably just wanted to shoot it so I waved at him about his forth or fifth time past. He just looked away and parked down the road a little ways.

When I left, I noticed him leaving with me. I decided not to go straight home, because I was either paranoid or he was following me. After making many turns he was still back there. Not following very close but still back there.

I came to a 4 way stop at the only town between the range and home and he was two cars behind me. I didn't stop though, just kind of slowed down and took someone else's turn through, pi$$ing everyone off (sorry). That gave me a big lead on him.

I nailed it, increased my lead and whipped it into the towns grocery store and waited for him to go by. I sat there in the parking lot for about 5 minutes after he drove past just too see if he came back but I never seen him again. The next week I told some of the board members of my club about the guy and described the vehichle.

Everytime I'm out there I watch for him. I'd like to get his plate number but have not seen him since. I keep my M16 in a safe but that safe don't keep people from breaking into the house.

jrfoxx

AMX- that doesnt sound paranoid at all to me. sounds like being very smart, and taking no chances.Good work keeping your eyes open.

tranks

i'm always pretty paranoid leaving my gun up on the bench and going to check targets.

it would be so easy for someone to grab it and run or to load it...

Yellowfin

I have got to get out of this communist overrun state so I can carry again. Ranges here are so few that it would funnel any such attention right to them. :(

Antipasta

i'm always pretty paranoid leaving my gun up on the bench and going to check targets.

I thought it was just me. One of the good things about being a RSO is that I can use the range whenever I like, and I frequently enjoy being alone. That long walk down to the 100 yard backstop always makes me think how far apart me and my firearms are.

Wuchak

My private club is at the end of a mile and half long private dirt road. We have an electric chain link gate that you must have an id card to open so no vehicles can get onto club property unless a member is in them or with them. The reader tracks who came at what time. Often I am the only one at the club so I never go without my CCW.

Prince55

I live about 100 miles from where this happened and have been really
trying to find out more about it.
There was no gate or chain and the place seems to be a gathering place
for drinking late at night and whatever else.
There had been several occasions where peoples guns were stolen when
they went out to check their targets.
A friend recently made fun and said I was to suspicious of everyone when
I told him I Always carry a .357 or other when I go out to check the targets.
News said that the pastor had been shot in the head and his body
dragged a distance away in the brush and his guns are missing.
Some are wanting the range closed now and say that too many drug-heads
hang out there.
Could be another instance where a few cause others to lose their rights.
They're not sure if he went to the range alone or what.