Fatal shooting at indoor range in FL.

Superhouse 15

We had a fatal shooting at the range where I work a little while ago. Too early to be sure, but it appears now to be an intentional suicide rather than an accident. For the record, I wasn't there but heard from the boss and heard part of the incident on the F.D. radio.

Has anyone dealt with this situation before? We are concerned with the employees who were on duty as well as the inevitable publicity fallout. Any suggestions for the interviews and sound bites? Anyone had to deal with this before? We have not had to deal with this before, fortunately. We have had a serious injury there, but it was long before most of us worked there. Nothing like this. The employees are all heading there now for support, thanks for any advice or suport.

dipper

As an employee of the Range , you should say nothing.
Your range should have ONE spokesperson as far as speaking with press etc.
The police will interview everyone that was there and get their statements and they will release info. as they see fit.
I'm guessing the range has insurance and possibly/probably a attorney on retainer or whatever---I would let the BOSS speak with them and follow their advice.
In the meantime---everyone should keep their mouths shut except of course when speaking with the police investigators.

Dipper

Musketeer

Dipper has it right.

I hope this was not a friend of yours.

The less people talking the better. Have a statement expressing sadness and that the facility is fully cooperating with the authorities and shut up.

If any people who are not reporters (how do you really know...) come in and ask simply say it was a very sad incident. If it has been confirmed by the police a suicide I would state so to deflect any possible concerns about range safety and leave it at that. Don't be lured into asking any additional questions. If someone gets pushy on the subject you can respond with "if it was your loved one who committed suicide would you want us answering questions on it to anyone who asks?"

Musketeer

I've heard of this happening before.
Usually they rent the gun and then go boom with it.

From the online news reports that seems to be the case here.

Sorry for the deceased but these people really do piss me off. If you really feel you have to end it why go and mess up another man's place of business in the process.

Wild Horse

This sounds like my Daughter. She did the suicide thing at a range in the Tampa/StPete area last Monday. She got a friend to take her to the range, rented a gun and shot herself in the head.

I do apologize to all those present. I'm sure it was a horrible thing to witness. Once again I wish to extend my condolences to all of you who were at the range.

My Daughter was extreme bipolar/depression/alcoholic/drug user and I was not surprised when I got the news last Tuesday. The details are still a bit unclear but she apparently had this planned for some time.

As a point of interest I only learned of this incident through a private contact. I have yet to get any official notification from the Coroner, police et al.

This incident probably explains why many ranges require people to bring an operable gun to the range before renting one. Consider this, if she had gone to a car lot and taken a test drive only to use the car as the method for suicide, no one would blame the car. But use a gun and the entire shooting industry takes the heat. Something wrong with that picture in my opinion.

My concern is for the owners and employees at the range. I hope this incident is not the cause of any future problems. No one at the range is in any way responsible in my opinion.

tplumeri

If you really feel you have to end it why go and mess up another man's place of business in the process.

I agree with that, but maybe that was the only way to get hold of a gun.

as ive said before, last time i was on a public range was over twenty yrs ago. Is it that easy to just walk in and rent a gun? do you have to show any proficiency or past training?

I remember the range officer standing behind me while i unpacked my guns. he knew it was my first time there and kept a close eye on me.

Its kinda scary this happened. what if the guy decided to take out a few shooters first and eventually be killed? then its not a suicide and insurance would pay..........just a thought.

tom

JohnKSa

Administrator
I wouldn't make any public statements to anyone at this point, certainly not the press. There's still the possibility that someone will try to sue the range/employees for not preventing the suicide or for renting the gun to the person. The suit could also come from shooters/customers who were present at the time and feel traumatized by witnessing the event.

Also, be prepared for the possibility that a family member or friend of the person may call later and berate an employee or the range owner for the occurrence.

Musketeer

I am very sorry for your loss Wild Horse. The thought of such happening with my little girl chills me to the core.

On the issue of renting firearms... Many people who go to a range and rent often come from someplace where owning a handgun is not an easy proposition. NY, Chicago and similar lands behind enemy lines. I would hate to see the ability to rent removed because a very small percentage are using them for suicide.

Musketeer

McCarthy rented a .40-caliber Glock handgun and bought 100 rounds of ammunition. The victim fired about 70 rounds when another customer noticed him shaking and acting strangely, Barker said. Then the man dropped to the floor.

Why go through the majority of your ammo shooting and then shoot yourself? This is probably a suicide but I hope Superhouse15 can let us know what the final outcome of the investigation is.

I would hate to think this was a case of poor gun handling and "the hidden bullet" in an automatic. Powder residue and burns should indicate if it was a contact wound (almost certainly suicide) or if he was holding it some distance away and possibly trying to look down the bore (not saying it is smart).

dipper

Wild Horse,
I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that.
What a terrible thing to have happened.

Dipper

JohnKSa

Administrator
Why go through the majority of your ammo shooting and then shoot yourself?
A friend of mine used to run a range and had a suicide. The fellow shot for some time before killing himself. Maybe he figured he'd paid for the ammo & might as well use it--who knows?

Shorts

Sad to hear.

Wildhorse, my condolences to you and your family as well.

Re: renting guns. Some shops it is easy to rent a gun, some it isn't. My experience was in CA trying to rent a gun. I was accompanying my husband who was on a temporary TDY in CA from his permanent station in WA. Since he was working during the day, I figured to use my daytime to myself to go to the range. When I walked to the counter and asked the shop keep, he said I wasn't allowed to rent a gun since I was by myself. I was miffed that I he wouldn't let me. After all, I was just a law-abiding citizen coming in to rent a pistol. I also had my WA CCW, military ID, and a copy of orders. Still no good. (I cannot remember if being a nonCA resident made a difference or not). I left there, somewhat embarrassed that I had been denied a rental, heck, even felt like a bit dirty, scampering out of the parking lot as quick as I could in case 'someone new'. It was just embarrassing. So, I went back to the BOQ, my mind set on not stepping foot in that range/shop again, and I looked up another place in the yellow pages.

I understand why I was told no, but it was a hit to the gut no less. Anyhow, that's my rental story. In other ranges, we've had no trouble in WA or TX renting.

Yellowfin

Man that's horrible. My condolences to the family, and I hope all the people who were there are doing OK. I hope I never have that happen where I am. How do you spot something like that coming, or is there a way?