Factory 6.5cm for a Vanguard

BoogieMan

What kind of groups have you been able to get out of factory 6.5cm with your Vanguard?
I have only tried Federal Non-typical 140gr sp. Best group out of a new rifle has been around 1.5". Plenty good for a kill. But, I would like to be under an inch at 100yds.
What do you recommend?

reynolds357

What kind of groups have you been able to get out of factory 6.5cm with your Vanguard?
I have only tried Federal Non-typical 140gr sp. Best group out of a new rifle has been around 1.5". Plenty good for a kill. But, I would like to be under an inch at 100yds.
What do you recommend?
I have never seen a Vanguard that would not shoot sub minute.

jmr40

For the money this is the best I've seen. My brother and his son-in-law don't handload and have been buying this locally for $13/box. There are a couple of places locally that carry it. I've seen them shoot some 4" groups at 600 yards with this ammo out of their Ruger Predators.

I tried a box through my Predator with sub MOA accuracy. But I can do a little better with my handloads. I can't load them for this price though.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020605499?pid=865833

The Hornady Match ammo will do as well as my handloads, but is over 2X the cost of the S&B ammo

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=fiochhi+6.5+ammo&userItemsPerPage=48

For hunting ammo this
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101693199?pid=259413

BoogieMan

I had planned on the Hornady 143gr precision hunter. When I bought ammo I was limited for time and couldn't wait for shipping.
I'll put it on my list for ammo order

std7mag

I have had a Vangard that was the worst shooting rifle i'd ever seen!

Only gun i was happy to sell!!!

I'll never own another Vangard again!
Howa either!

BoogieMan

@std7mag- sounds like you got a lemon. Howa/Vanguard have really good reviews and recommendations. But, every manufacturer makes a couple bad ones. You just got lucky

Hornady Outfitter (used to be Full Boar) with the GMX 120 gr. bullet worked really well in my Vanguard s2. Hornady Precision was sub moa at 100 yds. Hornady Whitetail was ok...can't recall exacty, been a few years.

CarJunkieLS1

I won't ever own or recommend a Weatherby/Howa again. Worst shooting rifle I ever had, and Weatherbys CS was no help at all.

std7mag

@BoogieMan,
Well that's one more than i've ever had with Savage, Ruger, or Interarms Whitworth Mark X, Browning, Mossberg, or Forbes.

I've heard of the Mossberg Patriot being hit or miss.
Hence why i never bought one of those (along with only offering a 22" barrel even for 7mm Rem Mag).

I've been bitten. I'm not petting that dog again.

BoogieMan

@std7mag- that's why they make so many flavors. I have heard lots of issues with Kimber and Tikka and some people swear by them. Only gun I ever owned that was bad was a Franchi.

reynolds357

I won't ever own or recommend a Weatherby/Howa again. Worst shooting rifle I ever had, and Weatherbys CS was no help at all.
I have had over 40 Weatherby rifles. Still have 17 or 18 of them. Most are 1/2 minute. All but one were sub minute. It was a Mark V 460 Wby. Truth be known, it might have been sub minute , but I had to shoot it off the bags with a death grip on it and it still thumped me pretty hard.

std7mag

Hopefully, when i grow up, i'll own a Mark V in 257 Weatherby Magnum.
Well, before i have great grandchildren... :rolleyes:

reynolds357

Hopefully, when i grow up, i'll own a Mark V in 257 Weatherby Magnum.
Well, before i have great grandchildren... :rolleyes:
I have a 257 Vanguard. I love it.
I only have Mark V in chamberings not offered in Vanguard. I got a deal on Mark Vs several years ago. My friend was sporting goods manager at WalMart. New store manager came in and told him to liquidate all the high end stuff. He called me and told me if I would take a lot of Mark Vs, I could have them for $425 each.

reynolds357

Bought more than 20. Still have all of them but 1. My friend kept bugging me for the 375 Wby so I parted with it. I am not a big 375 wby fan anyway.

Last edited: