extreme long range hunting shows?

buck460XVR

Originally posted by Brian Pfleuger:

I think it's a bit more than unfair to invent scenarios from nowhere and then chastise people we don't even know for committing acts of our imagination.

^^^this.

For someone with the equipment and the proficiency, taking a 600 yard shot at an Elk sized animal is no less ethical than the average "opening weekend warrior" shooting at a deer at any range. Comes down to what one is capable of and how much control they have over the muzzle, the trigger and their nerves.

tobnpr

I don't hunt, but do shoot long range. I don't see much difference in the two, except the decision to take the shot when an animal is involved.

All hunters understand the importance of a clean and ethical kill.

All long-range shooters understand that there are times when the degree of certainty of obtaining a POI within a desired range is diminished.

Seems to me, that the "ethical" range is a hypothetical, subject to the abilities of the shooter and the stick, in combination with the conditions on the ground at the time.

As mentioned, technology has take the guesswork out the ballistic solutions. With known range, and environmental factors (and consistent load velocity) the firing solution is absolutely precise. All that prevents the bullet from hitting the intended POI is shooter error, and wind variances downrange.

I've seen shows where a hunter pulls a shot and completely MISSES at 100 yards! Now how does that happen? Does that mean it was an "unethical" shot? "Stuff" happens- and in my mind, a hunter that breaks out his rifle for a few weeks a year, and shoots but a few dozen rounds a year at that, is more "unethical" taking a shot at 75 yards than a guy shooting at 600 yards that hasn't hunted in years, but sends a couple of thousand rounds a year downrange perfecting his skills.

BuckRub

I'm In the boat that long range paper is fine but I don't think a deer at 900 yards is

Last edited:

Todd1700

When people start laying back at longer distances on purpose just to see if they can still hit an animal at that distance I think you have stopped hunting and are just using the animals as live targets for your games. I've never heard anyone I'd consider a real hunter say, "We are too close, lets back off another 500 yards and see if we can still hit him from there."

I hunt whitetails in a place where they are pursued by gun hunters for about 2 1/2 months each year. The end result is that they are some of the most skittish, human shy whitetails in the country. But even here you would be hard pressed to spook one 900 yards away even if you were sitting in your truck honking the horn. So I find it hard to believe that anyone anywhere can't get a lot closer than that before they have to shoot. Lets face it, if you can't get closer than 900 yards....you suck at this.

I also do not believe that "ANYONE" can consistently place a clean kill shot on animals that far out. Too many variables under field conditions. At the range under pristine conditions it would be tough. In the field I think shots of that distance are unethical. You can bet that these long range shows only show you the hunts that turn out well. In fact I think The Outdoor Channel prohibits anyone from showing a hunt where the animal is not recovered. So you are never going to see the episode where they blow the antelopes front leg off from 800 yards away and never recover it. But you can bet your @** it happens.

BuckRub

Funny I use to shoot deer from close to 300 yards. The older I get now I shoot them about 30 yards behind the house then take the riding mower and lay them across the hood and drive back to the house. Might be Redneck but it works.

jimbob86

He told me that he shot a doe last year at approx 900 yards.

"Approximately."

With ranges that long, and any weapon with a trajectory that is more curved than that of a laser, then "approximately" is not near precise enough. A range estimation error of 25 yards = a miss. Misjudging the wind vector(s) will likewise = a miss (or worse, a bad hit).

markj

Longest shot I ever made on deer was like 50 yards. Why shoot waaaay over there when a deer is right here, less walking....

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Way-over-yonder deer? Well, when you're in rugged desert mountain country that has a sparse deer population and a sixteen-day one-buck-only season, and your odds are such that a 400- or 500- yard shot is not at all improbable, developing gear and skill becomes somewhat important.

If you want to eat deer meat, anyhow.

BuckRub

Maybe not you or me but there's a lot of people on here who can hit a fly at 900 yards. Every shot and with any gun. Even with a snub nose pistol or a .22 rifle. Lol:eek: just ask em they'll tell ya. :)

markj

Well, when you're in rugged desert mountain country that has a sparse deer population and a sixteen-day one-buck-only season

Ha, come to Iowa, pay the 275 and Iwill put you on as many deer as you want :) They come into my garden and eat away. They jumped on my wifes car and dented the trunk lid. agent didnt really want to go for that repair...

No reason to use a 100 yard gun here :) a slingshot and a rock will do just fine.

doofus47

art eatman
Back in the early years of the 7mm RemMag, I'd hear gunstore-commando hunters yap about 600-yard shots across a valley on elk. This was before laser range-finders, and these guys were just slinging lead until they got a hit somewhere on the animal. Several more shots for a finishing.

Yeah, there's a bit of that in any story. I was reading a wolf-protection web site and someone was quoting a rancher somewhere who was "'bragging' that he sometimes just gut-shot wolves so they'd suffer more before they died.'" I was thinking that writer has lost perspective on the human psyche in his righteous indignation: Basically some ranch hand saw a coyote across a field; he whipped out his truck gun and hit it. There was a blood trail and no find. Rather than just admit he made a poor hit, he put a little lipstick on the pig. If he were good enough to pick his shot, he'd probably rather hit it in the head and brag about how good of a shot he is.

I saw a long range hunting show once. 2 questions came to mind:
1. Wouldn't it be more exciting to see if you were a good enough hunter to get closer?
2. If you're 800 yards out across a canyon and have no intention of getting to the zip code of your game, what's with the camo?

Never watched a second one. I will admit that the people on that show are far and away (pun?, yes) better shots than I am or will ever be.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
:) Last buck I killed, I was halfway-ashamed to have used a rifle. Walked up on a nice mulie while he was napping. About 25 yards, maybe. Easy pistol shot.

Then there was the wet day I trailed a fat little 4x4 whitetail and eased up to about ten feet away. Hit him in the rump with a small rock. It's amazing how raucous laughter will seriously upset a deer.

markj

1. Wouldn't it be more exciting to see if you were a good enough hunter to get closer?

Yeah, we play sneak up a lot growing up. Helps me stalk game. Love to see the look on their face when I show myself :) turkeys are the funniest, their eyes open real wide, beaks open like OH No. :)

math teacher

I have a couple of gripes with the long range hunting shows. There seems to be a preponderance of them lately. It tends to make people who have never practiced at over a hundred yards or from field conditions think that it is OK to take extreme long shots. I am not criticizing those who have put in their time to learn the art.

Secondly the theme of some of those shows is just long range shots at animals. They never try to get closer, nor do they show them taking an animal they happen on at 50 yards. It is the current emphasis on long range hunting that I object to.