Extreme Lightweight Snubby

superspirit

I'll make another vote for the LCR, my 357 stays in my pocket in a desantos nemises holster with a bianchi speed strip in the other front pocket. great and lightweight combo. and the LCR 22 mag rides in the wifes purse. IMO you just cant beat a reliable Ruger.

fdreano

.38 LCR with a Hi-Viz front sight. Mine is with me daily and I have to make sure not to go certain places with it on as its so light (like the post office or my grand kid's school). If you use the Jerry MicKulik grip as shown in his revolver instructional video for snubbies then recoil is of no concern and accuracy goes way up!

BubbaBlades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaPUemCcXg

I have carried many of the S&W J frame lightweight revolvers over the years and found all of them to be very satisfactory. I am a big fan of Crimson Trace laser sights and when you put these sights on your typical S&W airweight J frame you have a $600+ package. I don't like leaving that expensive a package in my vehicle when I am in a no carry area such as the courthouse or even a gun show.
Enters the S&W BG38. I have a $375 laser equipped airweight and I can leave my 442, 642 or 638 at home. Several people have questioned me on the performance of the BG38. The above YouTube video shows me rapid fire shooting .38 +P ammo at a dangerous target with the BG38.

Mark

ScotchMan

Thanks. I guess I am on the right track with a 642 or LCR, but I may try to find a Bodyguard to handle if I can. One thing I didn't consider is grips; I would replace the LCRs and the only suitable option is the Eagle secret service grips. Many more options with the J. I especially like the laminate G10 grips from VZ.

I guess the hunt is on for a good 642!

Muskamoot

I have a 642 and it's my favorite pocket carry in a Mika holster.I installed a 9 lb hammer spring and a lighter trigger return spring along with a light deburr and polish of the action parts.Much nicer shooter with the insanely heavy trigger pull gone. The laser is a need to have option.

ScotchMan

Yeah I can live without the laser. But if it comes with the gun for the same price in the case of the BG, I won't say no I guess.

Dave Chuppa

My favorite lightweight guns are the S&W 442 and the LCR 357. I have the 442 in my pocket and the LCR AIWB. I also have a NAA Mini 22 Mag. The NAA is my Bathrobe pocket gun.

Last edited:

ScotchMan

Came across one of the Performance Center 642s today (two actually) at the LGS. Compared it to a normal 637. Man that is a nice trigger. Not sure it justifies the $120 increase over the normal 642 price though.

Also got to hold a Bodyguard. What a piece of garbage. The trigger failed to reset four times for me out of probably 10. Maybe it needed to be cleaned, I don't know, but I had to wiggle the cylinder just to get the thing to reset. The cylinder release is cheap and wobbly just like I've read, and the whole thing felt nothing like what I would expect from S&W.

Definitely down to a J or an LCR.

LSP972

As others have noted, the Ti-Scan S&W AirLites are going to be your lightest option. Unfortunately, they are priced accordingly. But trust me... the three ounces less they weigh make a world of difference when pocket carried.

I've had a 360PD for 11 years, and carry it daily. I'm amused by those who decry these things because of the horrible recoil, etc. Yep, the recoil with a full-house .357 is indeed horrible. But who said you have to shoot those? I carry +P .38s in mine. Make no mistake... even with the lightest target loads, these things are not fun to shoot. But a regular 15 ounce AirWeight (such as the 642) ain't no barrel of monkeys either.

The two Ruger LCRs I've handled did not impress me much. Both loosened up considerably after 100 rounds or so of target wadcutters. By that, I mean they developed some endshake (both yoke and cylinder) and the cylinder lock-up wasn't as positive as when they were new. Oh, they still work fine, and I have no reason to think they are about to fail; Ruger builds durable handguns. But polymer and revolvers is not a good combo, IMO. Witness that miserable polymer S&W "BodyGuard" revolver. Oh, wait... you did already... :)

I scored an early no-lock M-342 a while back; a delightful spare for my M-360PD. And I've missed out on two deals on M-340PD Ti-Scan guns, where the sellers apparently thought you had to shoot magnums, and they wanted no part of it.

Hopefully I'll run across another one someday; these guns carry like a dream.

Good luck with whatever you choose to get.

ScotchMan

Your comments remind me of a rental LCR I came across. The store was selling off all the rentals and replacing them. This LCR was in such bad shape, I wouldn't have paid $100 for it. And the guy said it hadn't been shot much.

Everything was loose, the trigger was a mess, it just felt like the explosion of a round being fired might turn it into a grenade. I'm sure it was functional. But I had forgotten that story until now.

Sgt127

I've carried a 642 for 20 years as a bug. Price, weight, reliability, shoot ability, I think it's the best package made. It's still not fun to shoot though.

In .357 Magnum, the Ruger SP-101 is the smallest, lightest gun I would shoot. Those awesome 12 oz .357's are like slamming my hand in the door of a 1970's Buick.

superspirit

I believe there are a lot of misleading statements about the Ruger LCR's. I have read in several posts that they are polymer guns and that is incorrect. I have read the owners manuals on the two I own and fact is the 357 version has an all stainless steel frame and cylinder, and the other models have an aluminium frame with a stainless cylinder and barrel insert. the only place polymer was used is in the grip frame and fire control housing. hope this clears it up. Personally I think they are the best pocket revolvers made. I carry the 357 while the wife carries the 22 mag. and yes I am a Ruger fan. but not to think they are the only game in town.

LSP972

I suppose it all depends upon one's definition of "polymer gun", i.e., how much polymer content is needed before making that designation, etc.

I seem to recall more polymer "content" than you described, but I have neither one to hand to examine them more closely. I'll take your word for it. Still doesn't change my (lack of) impression of the thing.

losixxx

I personaly own the LCR 38 I have fired a lil over 300 rounds in fact 150 rounds this weekend the only thing that seems to be wrong with it is me I can not hit the broad sid of a barn ;) all joking aside the thing is built solid couldnt ask for a better firearm if your looking for light weight thats just my oppinion

copfish

I carred a S&W 642 until I found a 340. Really makes a great pocket gun and a fun gun to let others shoot... With full-house loads...:D

I keep looking at the Ruger LCR in 22 for a truck/boat gun. But the ones I've handled at the local gun shop have really rough triggers. I have two of the S&W 317 snubbies, one a two inch and the other a three inch. The three inch has a better trigger abd gets sht more. Neither one spends time left in the truck or boat though...