Extreme Lightweight Snubby

ScotchMan

I am in the market for a new J-frame-sized revolver in .38Spl +P. The primary goal is lightweight. This gun will be for throwing in a pocket to run to the store, or while mowing the lawn, etc. It won't be a primary carry or even a secondary carry. So lightweight is the top concern. I'd also like to avoid the really expensive Scandium stuff.

Currently the Ruger LCR (.38 version) is at the top of my list. 13.5oz. A 642 or 442 is 15oz, and is a close second choice. I'm not interested in other brands since I will not shoot this gun often enough to identify an issue that might be present with the lesser brands (maybe 5-10 rounds at the end of each practice session). I look at the Bodyguard .38 every now and then, but get turned off by all the less-than-stellar reviews, especially when compared to the LCR.

I used to have a 342Ti, the selling of which is one of my greatest regrets. So I know that there are out of production guns out there which may fill my needs better than the LCR or 642.

Are there any guns out there that I should be looking at for this role that aren't on my list?

Spats McGee

Administrator
I got some time with an LCR in .357 a while back, and I really liked it. At ~17 oz (IIRC), it's still plenty easy to carry, and I liked the trigger at the range. TBH, I did not enjoy shooting .357 loads all that much, and my groups were huge with them. Shooting .38+p was a whole differen story, though. Very manageable recoil.

hAkron

In December I bought a brand new 642 from my local gun store for the low low price of $359. I swapped the sticky rubber grips for a set of S&W magna/service grips and a brass "T-grip" (not sure if its a tyler or not...if it is, it's a newer one). I have a #4 uncle mike's pocket holster and it drops right in the pocket of a pair of jeans. It sticks out a little bit in a pair of Dickies work pants.

This is a great gun to grab when you want to take the dog out, or you want to run to the store, or whatever. Just toss it into your pocket and go. I carry it weak side as a backup to my CZ PCR.

It takes a lot of practice to master, and I'm not a great shot with it, but it goes to the range EVERY time...mostly because its usually already in my pocket. I do kind of with I had the 442 instead of the 642, but only for asthetic reasons.

PawPaw

I like my Model 38, for all the reasons you cite and it's the lightest revolver I own. Mine wears a pair of old Herrett grips which helps me control the little revolver, but also lets it disappear into the front pocket of whatever trousers I'm wearing.

Mod%2B38%2B02.jpg

I don't believe that Smith is currently making these revolvers, but they still make the 638, which at 15 oz is fairly light for a revolver. My son has a 638 and it's his favored pocket gun. His wife prefers the Model 60 because the all-steel frame, at 22 oz, tames the recoil of the ammunition. Either way, it's hard to beat a classic J-frame revolver for concealed carry.

Barney1023

Never handled the bodyguard but have a bunch of rounds through a 637. It's my primary carry in my front pocket no holster or nothing can't tell it's in there and out to 25 yards it shoots like a champ

Old John

LCR's

I bought 2 LCR revolvers, last year when they came out, a .38 special and a .357 model. I like them both. But, I prefer the .38 special LCR for carrying in my right hand pants pocket. I sometimes carry the .357 LCR in a high ride pancake holster. It's quicker to get it out than putting it in a pocket. But, you need an untucked shirt to cover it.
The .38 special LCR only weighs about 10.5 oz. It's the lightest revolver I have.

Obambulate

As you said, the 342Ti was just the ticket at under 11-oz unloaded. There really isn't anything available for $500 or less that is lighter than the LCR 38 at 13.5-oz. The regular alloy J-frames are around 15-oz. But the LCR is a little bulkier in a pocket.

I overspent for a S&W 351c, which is 11-oz, 7-shot, .22 magnum but costs over $600. It's super light and I like having 7 shots. It might be good for your needs of a quick run to the store, mow the lawn gun.

kahrguy

Old John now I am not completely doubting the weight of your revolver but the ones I have seen are 13.4oz and a little bit and if your weights 10oz you have removed a bunch of extra weight from something, maybe the grip. hehe.

slabside 1911

My Smith Wesson 340pd weights in at 14.8 oz. Loaded with Remington 125gr
357 magnum rounds. That's with the clipdraw on the gun. Can't beat that. Grat carry gun but a hand full to shoot with that load. Still love the little guy.

Jack19

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/PS/2013/170348_v3.pdf

Light enough to carry all day without noticing. Heavy enough for .38+P.

Shooting .357 in uber-light snubs is unpleasant, to me anyway, to the point of masochism; and I'm a guy who likes full power 10mm rounds in my Glock 29.

If you do want a .357 snub, take a look at the SP101, or the 640...all steel and added weight make them easier to shoot...and get hits.

Last edited:

.40cal

I have a charter arms off duty 38 special hammerless. I bought it for my wife to carry and I like it so much that I end up with it most of the time! I use it exactly as you described...throw it in a pocket and go.

No, its not a Smith, but the price isn't either. Great gun for a great price and they are widely available.

Also, I don't own a Ruger but I have shot the LCR. I absolutely loved it.

Last edited:

SF Mike

The bodyguards are sweet.
In VN I had a Model 60 with bobbed hammer and open trigger guard.
Stainless was a plus.

rodfac

Can't go wrong with any S&W J-frame....especially the 642. My wife has a 637 Airweight (with exposed hammer) and carries it in pocket or purse and has never (in training) had trouble drawing it. But a hammerless model makes more sense. The weight is negligible with sensible clothes or purse carry, but any hangun will make a bulge. HTH's Rod

Obambulate

The trick is to make it light enough that you can pocket carry in lightweight clothes. If you need sturdy pants with a belt so a stainless J-frame in the pocket doesn't pull your pants down, you might as well just carry on the belt.

The OP values the extra light weight that allows him to be armed even in a ratty pair of yard shorts. Maybe something like the NAA Black Widow or Pug would do the trick. Very lightweight and concealable, yet very well made out of high-hardness stainless steel. Affordable, too.

20u50n4.jpg

Pug versus J-frame 6.4-oz versus 15-oz

ClydeFrog

S&W J frame .38spl no lock 442/642, Ruger LCR...

I'd highly suggest checking into the S&W 442 or 642 without the dreaded "lawyer lock" & add a CT lasergrip or Lasermax red dot Centerfire; www.Lasermax.com .
The Insight laser/Bodyguard model is okay, but Id opt for the J frame without a security lock. The S&W 638 J frame is great if you want a "down & dirty" DA-SA system.

The Ruger LCR in .357magnum or .38spl with a XS front sight & or a Centerfire unit could protect you too.
My good friend who's new to shooting/firearms, purchased a new in box LCR in .38spl +P with a Lasermax Centerfire. He paid around $530.00 USD total plus a $20.00 FFL fee & $5.00 state background check fee.
That was thru the great website: www.GunsAmerica.com .

I owned a decent Total Ti .357magnum Protector in 2004/2005. It was lightweight and shot well. I didn't own it very long & only sold it due to $$$ problems at the time.
As for add-ons or gear, Id also suggest the useful; Tuff Products Quik-Strips, 5 round .357/.38spl orange-black-pink plastic strips &/or the Roo pocket rig with Quik Strip holder. That's handy for a J frame S&W revolver or Ruger LCR.

Other top holsters include the gunner fav; Mika rig & the well made; DeSantis Nemnesis(note; the holster will NOT fit with the red dot Centerfire).

As for ammunition, Id suggest the top rated Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P JHP, the MagSafe SWAT/+P, the Corbon DPX, the Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, Ranger T/T Series, Magtech Guardian Gold.

ClydeFrog

dahermit

Obamulate, Would you please explain this:
...made out of high-hardness stainless steel...
Did you mean that the stainless steel had toughness, high tensile strength, or scored about 50 or so on the Rockwell C scale? As easily as stainless steel guns scratch, I did not think that they could be very "hard".

Added note: "Hardness" does not equal "toughness." Such terms should be used with due caution inasmuch as they have specific meaning in regard to metallurgy.

Last edited:

qqq1

I'll vote LCR. I didn't like s&w's version (bodyguard?). Didn't feel right in my hand at all. My LCR is in my pocket about 90% of the time. Love it.