Expert Info Please!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I've noticed that there are several newbies here (myself included) looking for advice on first handgun purchase. Some of the terminology is misunderstood by some (or all) of us.

Can someone give a good breakdown of handgun terms and functions here, so we have it all in one place?

For example, DA, SA, DA/SA may seem obvious to some and be a minefield of confusion for others.

Some one who is an expert, please explain these terms (and any others you can think of), what they mean for the guy pulling the trigger and how they affect the working of the gun.

Not asking for much am I...:D:eek:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Ahhh, but what are the advantages of each? Which is better for CC? Target? Rapid Fire? Do guns of one type or the other cost more? More Reliable, Less Reliable?

I figured it had been covered to some degree, just trying to get as much as possible on one thread...

KCabbage

Greetings.
You should go to a range and try each of them.
I'm not sure what you read, but the SA is quicker and usually more accurate.
What guns are you interested in? What is the gun for?
Take care

teeroux

Really its just what you prefer when it comes to the variants.

SA tend to be thought of as the better target trigger and for rapid fire.

DAO tend to be a defencive varient usualy carried without safeties due to the heavier trigger pull.

DA/SA is just a combo of the two sometimes with a safty sometimes with a decocker or both.

Like i said though its just what you like and prefer some of the fastest most accurate shooters in the world shoot a DA and lots of people carry a SA for defence.

I dont know of any reliability enhancements of any of the variants of the same gun except that a primer that didnt go bang the DA variants give you another strike at the bum primer.

For price of each varient in the same gun there usually isnt any difference in price and if there is it is usually neglible.

Shawn Dodson

SA, DA, etc., describe the functions that occur when the trigger is pressed.

SA - pressing the trigger performs a single action: dropping the hammer. Thus the hammer must be cocked in order to fire the gun when the trigger is pressed. An SA auto pistol usually has just a manual safety. SA revolvers usually don't have a manual safety.*

DA - pressing the trigger performs two functions: it cocks then drops the hammer. The hammer can also be cocked to fire the gun in SA mode. A DA auto pistol can be equipped with a variety of "safeties": conventional manual safety, hammer drop safety or decocker. Revolvers usually do not have a safety.*

DA/SA - this is incredibly dumbed down terminology invented in the late 1990's for those who don't understand how a DA automatic pistol operates. To further explain, the slide of an automatic pistol cocks the hammer during recoil. Therefore the first shot is usually fired in DA mode, the slide cocks the hammer, and subsequent shots are fired in SA mode.

DAO - pressing the trigger performs two actions: it cocks then drops the hammer. The hammer cannot be cocked to fire in SA mode. DAO auto pistols usually do not have a conventional manual safety, hammer drop safety or decocker. They may, however, be equipped with an automatic safety (like Glock's safe action trigger).

*Revolvers may be equipped with a transfer bar automatic safety, which transmits the hammer's mechanical energy to the firing pin. A revolver so equipped cannot be fired unless the trigger is fully pressed. Thus a revolver with a tansfer bar can be safely decocked by restraining the hammer, pressing and releasing the trigger, and the hammer can be safely eased forward.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Alright, so I'm looking at:

Glock 36

Sig P229

S&W M&P .40Compact (or .45)

This goes along with my "First Handgun" thread...

(Someone Yell "GLOCK!"):D

Smaug

Hey, if you emotionally feel that Glock is the way to go, get a Glock. Otherwise, you will always wondering, and you WILL end up buying a Glock sooner or later anyhow.

I bought 3 Rugers, but originally my feeling was that Glock was the way to go. Guess what, I bought a Glock.

Half of us turn into those annoying Glock fanboys who thing everything else is unreliable scum, and half of us get it out of our system and get something with a good trigger. :D

Get the Glock. They're 100% reliable, have great capacity for their size, and are damned hard to screw up. They have the advantage of the revolver simplicity, but with the capacity of an auto. The accuray is among the best of combat pistols.

The S&W M&P is a DAO, as far as I know. I wouldn't want that full length trigger pull if it were me buying it.

Sigs are nice, but too expensive for what they are, unless you're buying used. Maybe get a Sig for your second gun, when you get curious about what a good trigger should feel like. :D

Another way to put this is this:

What is the highest priority for you:

a) 100% reliable under just about any imaginable situation?

b) 100% reliable as long as it doesn't get too dirty, but a better, easier-to-shoot accurately trigger the rest of the time --> b)

If it is a), you've got to go Glock. b) --> Sig.

If you just want to jump on the latest Glock clone bandwagon, --> M&P.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Sig is used...$449

NOT concerned about dirt, I take care of my guns. I'd rather spend more (or get a better used gun for price of "worse" new gun)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
A consensus of sorts seems to be forming around the Sig, although I will need some advice on concealment (the Glock 36 sure wins in that department)

AZAK

"Peetza Killa"

Some good info above.

I would say:
First) what is the primary use of the handgun? (Can make a big cut in the possibilities!)

Second) Definitely go to a gun store and/or range and hold, dry fire and/or shoot some of the possibles. (Again, can weed out a bunch more!) Everyone has preferences on many of the different variables on a handgun. Personally, I really dislike the trigger on a S&W M&P. Others will swear that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread or the internet! (Depends how old they are.)

Only once you start to actually handle the different handguns, and understand the differences, can you start making informed/experience based decisions. Then you can say, "You know after feeling the trigger pull on a X,Y, and Z I really like the ..."

It is truly great to have a forum like TFL. Tons of good info, and opinions. Just remember that you need to find out what you like.

Just a few thoughts, I am sure that there are many more thoughts from many others that will also hopefully help.

2ndamd

It is always hard for me as an experienced shooter to suggest what someone else buys. It really is a personal choice. I have owned so many different guns in my life before I found what works for me. I like DA (double action) revolvers, I like the .357 magnum cartridge, I like pump and double barrel shotguns, and I like lever action rifles.

I know many here and other forums who hate lever action rifles, as their banded barrels are suppose to not be accurate out to 300-500 yrds.
And others think the double action revo (revolver) is antiquated and old.
And the 357 magnum is too strong for some, and weak for others. About the only consensus I have found is that everyone likes a good pump shotgun. :) But, I am sure someone could state their preference for something else; even on that category.

So, the requests for you to shoot the gun and see what you like is not dismissing your request. Most of us still have needs to fill and are buying, renting and trying guns to find what we like as well. After 18 years of shooting and searching, I am pretty much done experimenting now. I know what I like. Now, I just need the money to buy two of everything I want :)

Good luck in your quest.

The 3 guns you mention are all good guns.
If you are planning on carrying the gun? the Sig.
If range fun and HD (home defense) I'd go with a 9mm for your first gun to save money on cost of ammo. First gun and all, the most important thing is to shoot and shoot often.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Hey, if you emotionally feel that Glock is the way to go, get a Glock. Otherwise, you will always wondering, and you WILL end up buying a Glock sooner or later anyhow.

It's not me that emotionally wants to buy a Glock, it's just that every time somebody says "Hey, I was thinking about buying..."

Somebody goes "GLOCK! Ahhh!, get a GLOCK! "

Kind of funny really. I understand that they are good, reliable, fair priced guns but I DON'T understand why anyone REALLY cares what anyone else buys or likes or hates. Why does anybody but Gaston and his employees care whether other people hate or love their guns? It is an ODD loyalty.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus

It's not me that emotionally wants to buy a Glock, it's just that every time somebody says "Hey, I was thinking about buying..."

Somebody goes "GLOCK! Ahhh!, get a GLOCK! "

Kind of funny really. I understand that they are good, reliable, fair priced guns but I DON'T understand why anyone REALLY cares what anyone else buys or likes or hates. Why does anybody but Gaston and his employees care whether other people hate or love their guns? It is an ODD loyalty.

threegun

The choice of gun for self defense is very important. When I am asked what to get I feel compelled to offer the absolute best weapon available. This can only be what I have chosen as a carry gun since I carry what I have determined to be the best for me. How can I with a straight face offer guns that I personally wouldn't carry? This is the answer to the above question.

Why Glock for me? I could have whatever carry gun I want including guns costing several thousand dollars but the Glock does more things I feel are needed in a defensive pistol slightly better than the rest. Thats why.

Your requirements may be different however I am compelled to recommend what I carry as if it is good enough for me it should be good enough for you LOL. Its not about loyalty to product but defense of my choice.

threegun

Oh yeah and I could care less what others carry as they aren't as good as my choice. If they were I would be carrying it.;)