Exactly whats wrong with the Glock trigger?

Carbon_15

Just about everyone I hear talking about Glocks mentions how horrible the trigger is...bashers, worshipers, and middle-of-the-road's alike. I must be missing something, cause I think the trigger pull is wonderfull. I currently own 2 Glocks and many other types and brands of guns, some with custom trigger jobs. Don't get me wrong, its not perfect, but I just dont see what is so bad about it. It has the very light DA take-up, it lets off at less than half the weight of my SIG's trigger, and it has a very crisp brake with no apreciable overtravel and a VERY short reset stroke. Just what is so horrible about that? Is it the little "sproing" sound you get when you dry fire? Cause that just a sound not a feel, and you dont hear it when you fire live ammo. To me a factory Glock trigger feels very much like a 1911 once you get through the light take up.

BTW, My Glock didnt come with the factory alter, but I like it just the same. However I must admit that I bought my first Glock just because it was a 10mm.

Traithe

Trigger preference is very subjective. It is like asking what is the best hadngun. The best handgun is the one that you like, will shoot, carry and can hit things with. The trigger pull is also like that. If you can shoot quick, accurate shots with it, then it is right for you. I think a lot of people don't like th Glock trigger because it is different than alomst any trigger pull out there (their are a few newer guns that are similar now). And people being how they are, some do not like anything that is different. I have never fired a $2000 tricked out race 1911, so I have no idea what their tirgger pull is like. But I can shoot well with my Glock's and have no problem with their trigger pull. Like beauty, it is all in the eye of the beholder (or shooter).

49hudson

You are correct, there is not a thing wrong with a glock trigger.
If you are an old-timer who grew up using a double action revolver, the Glock is much easier to shoot than shooting a revolver double action.

Shmackey

I feel the sproing.

I don't think the trigger is any "worse" than, say, an HK trigger, but I wouldn't compare it to a good SA-only gun.

J. Parker

There's nothing wrong with a Glock trigger as long as you don't put it in a holsterless fannypack, stick it in your waistband and always have it in a holster that completely covers the trigger guard for the entire life of the pistol.:D

denfoote

The Glock trigger has to move .5in in order to disengage the internal safeties. Some people call this "spongy" I call it necessary!! You get used to it!! :D

Cornbread2

The Glock I carry everyday has the NY-1 8lb trigger. It is heavier than some other auto pistols but with just a little practice I was able to shoot it very well.

In all my years of shooting handguns I have learned that if you tend to flinch you will not shoot a handgun with a heavy trigger very good.

Once you overcome the tendacy to flinch you can shoot about as good with a bad trigger as you can with a nice creep free 3lb SA trigger.

longeyes

Underrated. It beats a double-action revolver pull by a mile.

If you're worried about an accidental discharge, invest in a Saf-T-Blok for your trigger. Cheap insurance.

SAWBONES

Nothing at all "wrong" with the Glock trigger.

Most important, it's always the same for every shot.

Its pull length is relatively short (though not as short as a 1911), and its trigger weight is acceptably small (and also easily modified), and its reset distance is also short (though again, not as short as a 1911).

I find it an EASY trigger to shoot fast, consistently and well (or as well as an old fart like myself is capable of!), and have never understood why some people complain about it.

Best.

Last edited:

Sundance

The Glock is what the Glock is...nothing more...nothing less...

Translation:

The Glock is a good, tough, reliable, durable, reasonably safe, combat accurate, economic semi-automatic pistol. For a generic duty gun for police, you could probably do no better.

The trigger is unique; either you like it or you don't. To me the best thing it has going for it is that it is the same every time, and it has a very short reset. And, if I had never fired a 1911 with a crisp 4# trigger pull, I would probably love the Glock trigger pull. But, since I have fired a 1911 with a crisp 4# trigger pull, I only think the Glock pull is decent at best. Is it easy to shoot accurately? You bet your ass! The two things I dislike about the Glock pull are the well known "Sproing" you feel upon release. (You only hear it if you dry fire...which I do alot for practice.) The second thing I dislike is the feel of the trigger surface. I don't like the feel of the little safety tab pressing out and breaking up the otherwise uniform trigger surface. It ruins the feel of the trigger for me. Some will say it is necessary. Justin Moon of Kahr design would apparently say different.

Another thing that bothers me is how many people feel so scared of a cocked and locked 1911 or HiPower with a 4-5# trigger pull, yet they will carry a Glock (arguably more or less cocked and unlocked) with a 5# trigger pull and no manual safety. Now I think both are safe to carry if done so correctly, but let's stop and think about which one is safer...I mean really!

If I could carry any auto I chose, I would pick a fine 1911 or a custom HiPower. I also favor the Sig Autos and the Kahr pistols. The Glock and the HK USP are fine for large government purchases to equip large numbers of men with a, as I said earlier, "good, tough, reliable, durable, reasonably safe, combat accurate, economic semi-automatic pistol," but they just lack the class of so many other guns.

For civilians carrying concealed for self defense or keeping a gun around the house for home defense, I don't understand why more wouldn't be happier with a fine DA revolver.

I hear people say the Glock is a beautiful gun...OK...if you say so...I guess if you think the Incredible Hulk is beautiful, then you might think the Glock is too.

Think of the Glock as a Hummer and a fine DA revolver, a quality 1911, or a custom Browning HiPower as a finely tuned sportscar. They both have their place in this world. But are they in the same class?...I think not.

I would like to conclude by saying that I carry a Glock 21 40 hours a week, not by choice, but because my employer says I have to. Do I feel well armed? Damn straight I feel well armed! Would I rather carry something else? Probably!

OK, those are my thoughts, I'm through now...

bountyh

Main problem I have with a Glock trigger is that it doesn't feed back on where it is. When I shoot a DA revolver there is a slight increase of resistance at the point just before break. When I shoot a Glock all I feel is a spring compressing and I have no clue when it's going to go BOOM. I don't think the actuak pull weight is the problem, since most of my wheelguns pull at 8 - 9 pounds and my autos pull at about 5#. I prefer triggers with a sharp and defined break point.

rock_jock

I have two Glocks and, while they are functional and consistent, the triggers are annoying simply because they are not crisp and can be rather heavy IMO. BUT, as another poster said, you get used to them.

BTW, this past weekend at an IDPA shoot, I had one of the other shooters install a 3.5 connector in my G17. Wow! Talk about a huge difference. Accuracy is better and much nicer to shoot. I would get one for my carry gun (G23), but there is a very slight chance of a light strike.

rockinglockin

I grew up shooting revolvers. I'm one of the oldtimers and I'm used to picking up a gun and firing without worrying about safties and lowering hammers. I like to just pull the trigger to fire and then be able to reholster. Glock gave me that option.

I now have four Glocks along with several revolvers. To each his own. Most other DAO semi-autos have hard trigger pulls. Glock triggers can be changed several different ways also. My target Glocks have 3.5# connectors.

Different strokes for different folks.

defox

What is wrong is that everytime you pull the trigger on a loaded one you hear a LOUD EXPLOSION that can sometimes scare the SOOY! :D

Seriously though, to each is own. For me I preferred the NY1 trigger spring and 3.5 pound connector to the standard setup because I felt the trigger gave me more feedback. I know people though who kept the standard setup and loved it!

M1911

To me a factory Glock trigger feels very much like a 1911 once you get through the light take up.

Then you never shot a good 1911 ;)

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are good guns. My first gun was a Glock and I've now got two. But I HATE the Glock trigger. It is mushy, even after the takeup. I hate the sproing. Yes, the Glock trigger is consistent. But it's consistently yucky as far as I'm concerned. I just don't like it.

My Kimber Compact's trigger is not exactly light -- it's about 5 lbs. But it is crisp. Some light takeup, then movement basically stops, until it trips with little overtravel. Ah, joy. And more accurate shooting too (at least for me).

M1911

Carbon_15

Another question...just how important is a perfect trigger pull? It seems to be common knowledge that a clean, light trigger pull is condusive to good accuracy. But is the gun is more accurate, or just easier to shoot accuratly? I for one can shoot my Glock 20 with its "crappy" trigger just as well as my National Match with its "breathe on it an it goes off" trigger. It seems to me that if you stick to the fundamentals of trigger controle, grip, stance, etc, it dosnt matter what kind of tactile feedback you get from the trigger...a super light, ultra tuned trigger just allows more leway in the shooters skill (ie: flinch, jerking, heeling, push and so forth). If nothing else, a "bad" trigger will force you to do your part and not get lazy in the fundamentals.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you don't like the "sproing" then use snap caps. There is no "sproing" then or when firing live rounds.

The main problem with the Glock trigger is that it's DIFFERENT.

It's not like a DA revolver pull. It's not like a 1911 trigger pull. It's not like anything else.

In many people's mind different is BAD.

Chief Jones

I never really had any desire to own or for that matter even shoot a Glock until I acquired a brand new 23 as part of a guy making good on some debts he owed to me.....

Anyway, took it to the range and now I'm hooked. Yes, it takes a while to get used to the trigger, but the Glock fits the hand so well, and shoot where ya point it. The main thing is that you obey all the rules as far as lead bullets, etc.....