everyone needs a levergun chambered in _______

Kosh75287

In whatever caliber the sidearm with which the shoot best is chambered (assuming revolver calibers, here...a lever-action .45 ACP is just weird).

brasscollector

I prefer my leverguns with big bores. 45 colt and 45-70 would be (are) my choices but there are many great chamberings in smaller calibers which do just fine as well.

Hawg

I would like to have a dollar for every white tail killed by a lever action 30-30

I'd like to have a dollar for every deer I've killed with a 30-30. :D

Everybody needs a lever action in .22, 44-40 and 30-30.

rightside

30-30. You can load 'em up or down. Just loaded a bunch of Sierra 125 gr FNHP's and they are sweet! Accurate ,mild and they pack a punch. just sayin'...:)

Skadoosh

.32 Winchester Special.

img_6012.jpg

joed

I own 3 lever rifles, a 9422, 94 in .30-30 and a 336C in .35 Rem. Because .35 is hard to find I wish it were a .30-30.

Waspinator

Another vote for 22lr. It's a lot more fun when you can shoot all day without breaking the bank.

My choice is a Henry classic H001. They have more fancy models, but I like the weight and simple features of the classic Henry. Slickest lever action out of the box.

idek

357 Magnum, because everyone should have a revolver in 357 magnum, and you need a rifle to match.
357mag.

Handload it down to mouse fart loads for kids or small game or load it up with Buffalo Bore Heavy 357mag loads and shoot 158grn, .36caliber bullets going over 2,100fps; close to 30-30 performance and good enough for under 100yd deer shooting.
I also like the .357 for the reasons stated by others and because it's easy and cheap to handload. With prices I've had to pay for .22lr, and can shoot almost as cheap with my .357 handloads.

As a bit of a novelty, I have wax bullets and special cases with oversized shotgun primer pockets (no powder used). I can shoot those dirt cheap. Fun at short distance. Sounds like a cap gun. Could probably shoot them indoors like some people do with air rifles.

And if I were to rely on a lever gun for home defense (I don't), the .357 would probably be my first choice, due to its greater capacity and quicker follow-up shots (compared to the .30-30 or most other lever gun cartridges).

Last edited:

gyvel

.44-40 is an OK round, but it's so danged expensive.

My local pawn shop has a beautiful barely used Chiappa .44WCF 92 copy that is absolutely gorgeous, and light years ahead of a Rossi in appeance, but the cost of the ammo is giving me hesitations about buying it.

And you can't have the chamber reamed due to the much larger base diameter of the .44-40.:(

kcub

I had a very bad experience with Chiappa. It was a 44 magnum model 92 copy and it wouldn't work even after a 6 month trip back to Italy.

gyvel

I had a very bad experience with Chiappa. It was a 44 magnum model 92 copy and it wouldn't work even after a 6 month trip back to Italy.

I'm very interested. What kind of problem? Please be objective.

kcub

The gun was gorgeous but the tube magazine would back out of the frame after 2 or three shots. It came back from the factory with the exact same problem 6 months later. Chiappa will not provide parts to a gunsmith which is why it had to go back.

Cabelas reluctantly took it back and gave me store credit. What's your pawn shops attitude going to be about it if you have a problem?

gyvel

It's a unique situation. The pawn shop owners are friends of mine and I can get the gun at a very attractive price. I am a retired gunsmith, and I believe that problem could be solved by drilling a hole through the front of the mag tube plug and threading it for a retaining screw that engages a hole in the bottom of the barrel like some other lever actions, in particular the Japanese made Winchester 92s.

At any rate, thanks for your reply and I will give the gun a closer exam later today. (I'm fortunate in that I have "behind-the-counter" privileges.)

kcub

Good luck. It seems like if it was as simple as that it would have been taken care of.

You should talk to Steve Young of Steve's Gunz. He doesn't have anything good to say about Chiappa and he makes a living upgrading Rossi 92s.