Everglades Snake Hunting

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I don't think that the max size of either a python or a gator is worth worrying about. Even the smaller ones eat, and to date they've cleaned out small animals in the southern Glades.

What should concern us is the "how to" for reducing the problem. I doubt that there is any way at all to eradicate them.

shortwave

As bswiv and others have stated...hunt em and get some good recipe's.

bswiv,

Better not let LouAnn jump in the water with the pythons like she does the gators. :eek:

Bigfatts

I agree with whoever said the gov should put a bounty on them. It would give lots of people a chance to make extra money. And lord knows we need that right now.

bigStag

Only the cold will kill 'em.

That swamp, everglades, is big there is nothing man could ever do. Its just to large, we had a cold snap two winter ago that put a big dent in them, also the iguana but thats the only thing that can slow them down.

Just like the pigs.....down see how man could put a serious stop to them.

With this warm winter wonder if the Python are working their way north?:eek:

robhof

robhof

The native habitat of the pythons have big cats; as in tigers and panthers, that'll take small to medium snakes and even some snake eating eagles that'll cull the young, before they become overpopulated.:D:D:eek:

shortwave

For those thinking there's a natural predator in the Fla. glades that's going to keep the python in check (including cats, coons, coyotes, turtles, opossum, birds etc.), I would suggest that you research the topic a bit and you'll find that since the introduction of the python to the glades, there been a drastic decline in those same animals you're suggesting. All the while a remarkable increase in the python numbers.

While you're researching, check out the estimated current numbers of the Burmese Python in the Fla. everglades versus what the estimated number of pythons were back in the late 90's.
Also, pay particular attention to the reproductive characteristics of the Burmese Python paying particular attention to the number of offspring a single female will throw.

Taking into consideration the incredible increase in the pythons numbers over a small number of years, coupled with the ongoing yearly number of python offspring and add on the decrease in numbers of the same animals some say will keep the python numbers down...well, it's just not hard to see who's winning this battle.

Hence the danger in the balance of an already fragile Fla. everglades ecosystem.

Hunting the python would help but, IMO, doubt that just plain hunting the python would rid them from the glades. Maybe hunting them plus a sterilization program done by FWC ???

Just hope the FWC hurries and makes better progress with something, rather then doing what it seems as they've been doing. Very little(and doing that slowly). :rolleyes:

Mainah

Thanks for a great topic Art. It seems to me that someone in Florida could make some good money with guided Python hunts with dogs. Keep the season open year-round, let locals provide the dogs and outfitting, then you might put a dent in this problem. And it would be a lot more fun than a trip to Disney, or golf.

This is an opportunity for hunters to score some points with the green crowd.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
As said before, no limits on private land. I guess that maybe the wildlife agency folks have something on their website about whatever regulations they've dreamed up.