ever shot an animal with your carry gun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraigwy

I was a cop in Anchorage (20 years). We had tons of Car-Vehicle accidents. Often the moose lived but suffered.

During my time, I've put down several moose with my 4" 357. One was a 68 in. Bull that was charging another car after being hit by a van.

Since retiring to Wyoming, I have put down a couple crippled deer with my 642, that had been hit by cars.

I've neverr been much for hunting with a pistol/revolver, but I'm giving it a thought this year, Muley hunting with my Model 29.

as the current owner of a 100 year family farm... I shoot alot of animals I don't eat...

Rats, Opposums, Racoons, Rabbits, Red Pine Squirrels, Wood Chucks, Skunks... probably a few others...

my "farm carry gun" is a 4" barreled stainless GP-100 in 357 magnum...

my expirience with any "self defense" type of round, on wild animals is that nothing short of CNS hit & the animal will have to bleed out to expire...

humans are weak & conditioned to drop at the thought of being shot... the only animal I've exprienced that is as close to the average human in frailty, is the cotton tail rabbit ( I've seen them die from fright of being shot at )... otherwise just about any wild animal will be as hard to drop as a human all cranked up on meth...

as a kid, I had a single shot shotgun, & was ordered by my dad to kill off all the farm cats, that had gotten sick, & weren't responding to the medicine .... distemper or ???? I shot one with the .410 from 10ft away... center of mass hit, that blew the whole middle of the cat away, yet the cat still ran over 100 yards into the woods, dragging it's inards behind it some 15-20ft... this scene left a permanent scar in my mind, & almost put me off hunting for the rest of my life... but sometimes shooting an animal is the best option...

I often shoot oppsums, skunks, rats & woodchucks with my 357 as I'm out working around the farm yard... I used to carry 158 grain jacket hollow points, but hitting center of mass, never dropped an animal before it scampered off to it's hole using that gun / caliber / bullet combo... I found I had better luck with either the larger bore size ( though still with very dismal results with center of mass hits... with 44 special... 44 mag being better, & 45 acp or Colt being better yet ), but I find I get much better results with higher velocity cartridges if center of mass hits were my best possibility... I now carry 110 grain or 125 grain cartridges in the 357 magnum, with the best results on that sized animals or the 22 magnum works actually better than those old 158 grain hollow points...

still the 22 mag is not that "instant" killer either... I was called to the neighbors farm a couple years ago... she asked if I could come over & kill one of her tom cats ( that image of my youth resurfaces )... one of her biggest farm cats had gotten into on of the steel sheds, & had tried to sqeeze out through a seam in the sheetmetal siding, 1/2 way up the wall... the flaps of steel closed up on one of it's legs, binding it like a trap, & begain cutting into the cats leg, as it thrashed around, about 6-8 feet from the ground... blood begain running down the white steel siding, & the thrashing cat had spread it around making the scene pretty grissley by the time I got there... her 5 year old daughter was crying... I brought the 22 mag revolver ( a 4" Taurus Tracker ) to keep the trama down a little for her daughter... I could not reach the cat & by then it was worked to too much of a frenzy for me to try to remove it safely from its trapped position... & it was thrashing around too wildly for me to get a good head shot, so I finally relented to putting one in the engine room, & comforting the cat as best I could for a little over a minute before it finally died...

so now that I've pretty much "gored out" this thread... no... self defense cartridges do not kill even varmints well without a CNS hit, & as sick as I've been doing a couple of the shootings I've had to do over the years... some times they are still nesessary...

BTW... I'd be happy to ship anyone a bunch of rats if you' prefer I didn't kill them...:p

ISC

Every time I put down a dog I shot it from inches away to the base of the skull. They dropped instantly because that is where the spine joins the brain and the spine is severed instantly. No pain. Instant death. If I ever face certain imminent death it's how I want to go.

I only took a dog to a vet to have it "humanely" euthanized once. The dog was terrified because it hated the vet (shots etc) and the dog flinched on first injection and had to get a 2nd one to knock it out. That one didn't kill it though and it took a 3rd shot to make him die.

He was my 10 year old cockerspaniel that our family loved like a child. He suffered when he was hit by the car, suffered the whole trip to the vet, suffered on the examination table while he was being euthanized, and then I suffered as I carried him back home to bury him in my back yard after my family said a prayer together.

I paid $50 to be tormented by this experience.

My ex wife insisted that the vet was a more humane death than me shooting him in the yard he loved where his last sight would have been the people he loved and the last smell would have been grass and freshly dug dirt.

I'll NEVER "put a dog to sleep" again.

CraigC

Correct. Canadian Geese are migratory birds protected by federal law. There are restrictions for hunting Canadian Geese which specify seasons, licenses, and types of firearms/ammo that can be used. Using a .380 isn't one. The OP has admitted committing several federal crimes.

In most jurisdictions it's illegal to shoot a dog or cat, regardless of whether or not it's feral. In some jurisdictions, you can be prosecuted for putting down a game animal that has been hit by a vehicle or tangled up in a fence. My point? Gun owners and shooters should not be so quick to judge their fellow enthusiast or draw a line in the sand at the mere hint of impropriety. These forums have been the worst I've participated on in that regard.

ISC

Gun owners and shooters should not be so quick to judge their fellow enthusiast or draw a line in the sand at the mere hint of impropriety. These forums have been the worst I've participated on in that regard.

I agree 100%.

Scattergun Bob

Isp2605

I really don't understand what bearing your statement " The OP has admitted committing several federal crimes" has on this thread. Without direct evidence, the goose, the gun, an observation, the admissions are of NO value, and do constitute proof of a crime.

To some of the rest of you, this was a thread about effectiveness of handgun projectiles against animals. Not the ethics of shooting animals, some of us come from rural areas some from the cities. Rural areas and underpopulated areas have different laws specifically concerning attacks on stock "barn-yard" animals. Please take that into consideration. Yes, it is wrong to shoot geese without bringing them to bag, and with incorrect methods, already stated and answered, lets move on.

Sarge

Hall monitoring aside- consider the terminal effects you have observed and file it under 'reality check'.

hamr56

I was raised on a ranch, life is different bit different in comparison to any major pen referred to as a city.:) Therefore I dispatch of varmitts on the regular.

ISP2605

I really don't understand what bearing your statement " The OP has admitted committing several federal crimes" has on this thread. Without direct evidence, the goose, the gun, an observation, the admissions are of NO value, and do constitute proof of a crime.
We're not using his statement as evidence in court. He admitted committing a federal crime which anyone, friend or foe to a gun forum, can read. Sure, if he was going to trial then his admission would not be enough for conviction but this isn't about a trial, it's about what he admitted doing. Very irresponsible.

some of us come from rural areas some from the cities. Rural areas and underpopulated areas have different laws specifically concerning attacks on stock "barn-yard" animals. Please take that into consideration.
Where I come from I'm nearly 9 miles from the nearest town. My nearest neighbor is over 3/4 miles away. I raised livestock at one time, a lot of it, with about 750 head of hogs at any given time in addition to sheep, cattle, and chickens. I know about predators on the farm and fending them off.
The OP shooting the Canadian Goose is not about fending off predators. My area is over the Mississippi fly-way with hundreds of thousands of geese flying over, both directions, every year and sometimes landing in our fields. I've seen our fields, hundreds of acres, covered thick with geese stopping over. I've yet once to see a Canadian Goose attack any of our livestock.

In most jurisdictions it's illegal to shoot a dog or cat, regardless of whether or not it's feral. In some jurisdictions, you can be prosecuted for putting down a game animal that has been hit by a vehicle or tangled up in a fence. My point? Gun owners and shooters should not be so quick to judge their fellow enthusiast or draw a line in the sand at the mere hint of impropriety. These forums have been the worst I've participated on in that regard.
This isn't about shooting a dog or cat or putting down an animal hit by a car. My point is anyone reading this forum will get a pretty dim view of gun owners who admit to committing federal crimes.

roy reali

I Will Report

I have and will continue to notify authorities anytime I see anyone dispatch an animal in an unlawful manner. There are some things that are wrong. Remember, all evil needs to continue is for good people to look the other way. Sorry, but I ain't one to look the other way.

Stevie-Ray

Never have and probably won't unless it's a varmint type or it's bent on attacking me. I'm not a hunter and don't particularly like the idea of killing anything, unless there's a need. OTOH, rats at a dump provide great moving targets for .22s. Haven't wasted any carry ammo on one, though.

ISC

CraigC said:
Gun owners and shooters should not be so quick to judge their fellow enthusiast or draw a line in the sand at the mere hint of impropriety. These forums have been the worst I've participated on in that regard.

Roy reali said:
I have and will continue to notify authorities anytime I see anyone dispatch an animal in an unlawful manner. There are some things that are wrong. Remember, all evil needs to continue is for good people to look the other way. Sorry, but I ain't one to look the other way.

Point proven. Roy, you have earned my disdain.

LanceOregon

To argue that any and all wildlife violations are equally wrong or evil is being unfair in my opinion.

Geese can be a real problem in some areas for farmers. Here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon we get invaded by them every fall. It is very difficult to hunt them using legal methods. You can set out a couple of hundred decoys, but if there are thousand live cackling geese in a nearby field, guess where the geese are going to go?

I could never illegally shoot a goose myself, though. Heck, I cannot even bring myself to shoot ducks sitting in the water, despite the fact that it is totally legal to do so when duck hunting. Shooting a "sitting duck" just does not seem very sporting to me. But geese can become a varmint and a real nuisance in some areas. So I can understand why someone could want to shoot one.

I know a fellow who sometimes shoots seagulls at a dump when he is bored. Now seagulls are not a game bird, and are completely federally and state protected. Yet, they inundate many areas, often to the detriment of other bird populations. But since they are a useful scavenger, they are completely protected.

So far this fellow has not been caught. And since the dead bodies all land in the dump, they get filled over. I could never bring myself to do that myself, though, since I know that it is a clear violation. To me, it is certainly not worth the risk of being caught.

The fellow is a good and decent person and sportsman in every other respect. I'm not going to personally condemn him, much less report him to authorities, over a few dead seagulls.

Now if someone did something like shoot a deer or an elk out of season, or even shot one during hunting season for the thrill and left the animal to waste, I would report that sort of violation if I had the opportunity.

One fellow who I went varmint hunting a few times with told me about how he had come across a doe deer that Spring, while scouting for new varmint hunting grounds. He shot the doe with his .223 Varmint rifle, and it quickly died. Once the deer was dead, he then realized what a major game violation he had committed, and he immediately fled the area, leaving the deer's body to waste.

After he told me that story that day, I could never speak with him again, much less go hunting with him. He really got upset with me for ending our friendship.

When I first met him he told me that he was in Internet marketing. However, after I got to know him, he admitted to me that he was a professional spammer. And that he promoted websites using unethical and illegal means. He told me how he considered big FCC fines that he got hit with just another cost of doing business. So I was already feeling very uneasy about him as a person, when he admitted to me his poaching of the deer.

I sometimes wonder what he is doing now, since laws against spamming are now much stricter than they were back then. No doubt he has found a new profitable area to exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.