Ever see an all-weather deer rifle with iron sights?

gearhounds

If you have your eye on, or already have a blued, iron sighted gun that does not have high collector value, think about having it coated with an aftermarket finish. I have a Marlin 1894 limited in .44 mag that I had Black-T'd at Birdsongs and associates, and the only place that is not coated is the chamber and bore. It has been in several downpours without issue, and the teflon based finish is miles ahead of any blued finish on the planet in terms of corrosion resistance. No shine from the black matte appearance either, and comes in OD green as well.

taylorce1

Here you go! I agree with JKump, get a Marlin. However I'd get it in .30-30 over the Marlin Express cartridges. Can't think of a much cheaper cartridge to shoot deer and hogs. Plus there are a few synthetic stocks out there for these rifles, but the laminates will hold up well.

20thru45

I think you'll have to add the sights that's what I do. I set mine up just like yours Leopold with quick detach from either Warne or Leopold. There are more reasons then damaged scopes for back-up irons such as whiteout conditions, and pouring rain in heavy cover. At under twenty yards you don't have much time to fuss with scope covers.

You can get away with wood stocks in wet conditions and minimize their liabilities. First take the inside of the stock and smooth up torn grain and prime and paint the magazine well trigger well and barrel channel that has been opened up. Next glass bed and free-float the action and barrel. Now your stock is finished all 6 sides and won't absorb water as fast.

The other reason for synthetic is weight but you'll only save about 1/3 lb with an average synthetic stock.

mdd

I personally would buy the rifle I wanted & have the irons added by a trustworthy gunsmith.

Doyle

I'm thinking more and more about going with an Encore system. With a stainless Encore frame and barrel, you could camp out in a mud puddle. When you get home, the whole thing is disassembled in less than a minute. Hit it with the compressed air blower, relube, and put it away. Many of the 24" T/C barrels have iron sights and they work well with Leupold QR bases.

mdd

never shot or handled one but sounds like a winner for what you want to do. Simplicity is best in my world.

warbirdlover

Available in your choice of 375 Ruger or 416 Ruger. Ought to be enough for deer.

natman

So I'm getting old and senile... okay? :rolleyes:

And I have a friend who uses a .375 on deer and it causes less damage then my .300 Win mag.

mdd

FWIW, ruger did produce the m77 mkII all-weather in the mid 90's with irons. Available in many calibers but small production numbers make them quite collectible to the right people. Because of that, they rarely surface & fetch a premium when they do. They are out there but I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for one to arise in a caliber you want. All kidding aside, that search could take years.

Just threw that info into the discussion because they were produced and that's what you asked for.

dgludwig

I'm thinking more and more about going with an Encore system.

I've been reading this thread with interest because I've thought about getting an affordable, center-fire, s/s rifle with open sights (in addition to scope mounting capability) and a synthetic stock for use in really inclement weather and as a compact, spare/back-up rifle for some time now. The Encore system would seem to fit my requirements too. Good idea, Doyle.
What does a TC Encore rifle sell for?

Smaug

I agree 100% with Saltydog's post. (#2)

Additionally, I think iron sights would be easier to knock off-zero than a well-mounted scope.

Anyway, in case you have your heels firmly dug in on the matter, have you considered the new Ruger scout rifle? Stainless/laminate, scout scope mounting, aperture sights, and a shortish overall length. .308 Win should do the trick. Or maybe a Mini-30? Or a Marlin 336 and mount a peep sight. (very common mod for these guns)

Doyle

What does a TC Encore rifle sell for?

Hold onto your wallet because the words Encore and affordable don't usually go together in the same sentence. Buds is selling the stainless Encore, plain black stock, and 24" barrel for $631 shipped. Each additional barrel will set you back anywhere from $250 to $300.

phil mcwilliam

Ever seen an all weather deer rifle with iron sights?

Yes. Ive been hunting in the Fiordland region of the South Island of New Zealand a few times chasing red deer. The Maori guide I used on one occassion carried an old .303 SMLE that had been sporterized. This wooden stocked, blued finished rifle had served him well for many, many years. Fiordland is recognized as one of the wettest places on earth, with an average rainfall of over 280 inches - thats right , over 23 foot per year.
You dont actually need a stainless, synthetic rifle to hunt in the rain.

Doyle

Phil, I wonder if that Maori guide cared about what his receiver and barrel looked like on the underside. He probably didn't. I tend to be a little more picky about looks (I know, beign anal is a terrible habit).

mdd

Doyle, don't feel badly about keeping your guns in good condition. Given that a well maintained quality firearm will last much longer than we will, I have to question the rationale of those who treat their firearms like disposable objects.