Ever Name Your Guns?

My long arms tend to have feminine names; handguns masculine or brutally descriptive.

My girlfriend knows of the late Gunther (Glock 22), and my current carry gun, Siegfried (SIg P220). I can see how these "code words" could come in handy during a crisis situation.

I do not equate my weapons with people; they are more like extensions of my own soul. I take after many cultures that took to naming their weapons, at a time when every man had one, and it was the most precious thing he owned.

buzz_knox

My Bushmaster shorty got named "G.W." after the elections. It's small, but packs a heck of a punch. ;) Prior to that, it was just referred to as Sarah Brady's worst nightmare. No, wait. That was me.

Norm Lee

Guns with names

Was gonna stay out of this one but couldn't stifle it.

Bought a "high-cap" .45 and showed up at a match where my shootin' buddy allowed as how having one of those at an IPSC shoot was about like going to the dog show with the world's largest chihuahua.

Ever since, it's been the BFC.

Cheers,

Norm

Whether you do it not, naming inanimate objects is not just harmeless fun...giving something a name because it reminds you of someone can be a comforting experience....my dad carried a colt DS for 37 years in the NYPD (and still does retired)...someday it will be mine and when he is gone, I will affectionately refer to it as "Ben"....

And don't forget, sailors would always say, "she held up well" refering to their ship as opposed to an impersonal "it"...and when you are trusting your life to something, maybe a little more of a connection to "her" will make you feel a little better.....

Now where's my Betty?

martin6

None of my present guns have a name. But, I used to have a sawed off shotgun named "painless". Why? It's obvious! -martin6

CWL

Come to think of it, years ago, my first H&K P7 was a refurb with that eggplant purple finish - I named it "Barney".

Flattop

Haven't named my gun but when shooting I do talk to it. Talk dirty too. I also talk to the target and curse that as well. Guess it stems from my days in the navy and learning to shoot from an old Chief Gunner's Mate.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Named Weapons - -

I'm really pretty torn on this subject.

I am now of the opinion that one shouldn't buy into the anit-gunners' sentiments that an inanimate object can possess human characteristics. "That EEEVULL gun," the kind that might just take a notion to kill somebody. Or the idea that mere possession of a firearm with muzzle brake and bayonet lug might influence a person to anti-social behavior. Hogwash!

On the other hand, the old traditions surface occasionally . . . .
My oldest .45 auto got tagged, "Old Sam," way back in the early 'sixties.

In about 1983 my car was burgled and my LW Commander stolen. Fort Worth PD Pawnshop Detail found it several months later. After an ownership hearing, the court returned it to me. Friend Stephen Camp (TFL member) dubbed the piece, "Lassie," from the old book, Lassie Come Home. The name stuck to the old pistol, and I carry it (her?) almost daily.

Had a doggy old Series 70 .45 which I sometimes called "Mark Ivy," from the slide marking.

But my BEST gun name is one still unassigned: Really wish I had a stainless, six-inch Colt Python. It would just HAVE to be named "Silver Serpent."

Best,
Johnny

Jesse H

I do appreciate the philosophy here, but it's entirely possible that an innocuous name used to refer to a firearm could be quite useful.

Yup. When buddy and I are together and don't want our sheeple friends to know we'd non-chalantly ask each other.

"Got Haley?"

"Yeah, whaddabout Hannah?"

"Yep."

My HS2000's full name is Hannah Sandra.

Hanna = blessed by God
Sandra = defender of man

I also have no girlfriend.

Jim V

I do have one 1911A1 that has a name, the Ithaca that was made in '43. I got it in '65 or so and it was my carry gun for a real long time and my duty pistol on my first department. Some of the officers called it "Jim's Masher" because they thought it would mash the shootee. After a while the "Jim's" got dropped and it was just "Masher" for a year or so and then the "asher" went away and it was just "Ma". It is retired now after 350,000 rounds or so but it is still "Ma".