Ever Name Your Guns?

CWL

Ever name your guns? If so what & why?

Started thinking about this recently when I sold a friend my Ruger, which he promptly named "Simone" for some reason, then talked to another friend who named her hand-me-down-from-Father, Colt Woodsman .22 "Tex".

Since then I've stated naming my guns after former girlfriends and have noticed that it is not difficult to tie-in charachteristics of guns to charachteristics of people I knew. It's been pretty fun so far, though I'm not sure if this is an indicator of me since I've got 21 guns!

A few examples:

Glock 17 -Karen, my first.
ParaOrdnance P-13 - Christina, always was there
H&K P7 -Anna, simply beautiful
Kimber Ultra CDP, Catherine, loved that thing, never could get it to work!
Oly Arms CAR-15, Jennie, should've given it more respect

Didn't name 'em after women....never thought of that...

Smith 442....."lil gun"
P7........."expensive gun"
Beretta 92...."Italian gun"

maybe I need to be more creative

BTW....if you name your guns after women, you should refer to them as her, not it....as in given "her" more respect...even battleships are "she"

Borf

Some less than polite spur of the moment names, but I'm with the no naming of inanimate objects group... with the exception on my cello ("Fredrika")... but a stringed instrument isn't inanimate anyway :)

James K

Member In Memoriam
When I start thinking of guns as people, I will get out of the hobby and have myself committed to the nearest nut house.

Jim

rhedley

Here's BETSEY

engraved1911.jpg

It was done in jest.....she's really "Honey Babe"

Archie

The "naming" of a personal weapon is...

an old Celtic tradition. It was also done by many other societies.

I call my 1911 "John Moses" or "J. M." A 1917 Eddystone is "Alvin C." Several S&W revolvers are referred to as "Smitty". 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol is "Marlow". 6.5x55 Swede Mauser is "Ole".

They seem to have personalities. They all work differently.

bad_dad_brad

Naming Guns

Heck yes I name them.

My Mini-14 is "Cheri."

My Glock 17 is "Bam Bam."

My Glock 19 is "Black Beauty."

My Kahr MK9 is "Cute Little Guy."

My Beretta 950 is "007."

My Kel Tec P32 is "Mighty PeeWee."

And my Ruger SP101, my first, is the "Lone Ranger."

When I buy my AR-15, her name will be "Black Widow".

Zander

"I don't name anything that's inanimate."

I do appreciate the philosophy here, but it's entirely possible that an innocuous name used to refer to a firearm could be quite useful.

For example, in times of threat to two people who have trained together. ;)

In fact, a few key words in a non-indigenous language [the more obscure the better] are quite handy, too.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Well, after some thinking, I do name a few of my guns. For example, if I'm at the range, I may tell my shooting partner to load up a mag for "Chunky" (Glock 30).

Plus, my Wilson Combats are named CQB and Sentinnel. My Kahr is named MK9 and Ruger is named Vaquero. There are others too ;) But I don't want to name the whole family. :)

Last edited:
Certainly not just a Celtic tradition, Archie.

Japanese Samurai routinely named their swords, as did warriors from many other Asian societies.

Names were frequently descriptive, instead of personalized like the names many westerners give their weapons, such as

Slayer of Evil Spirits

Destroyer of the Red Castle

Splitter of Stones and Iron

Those were given to samurai swords that I saw referenced in a book I was reading.

Seeker

I don't really name things - I generally call them by a discriptive name. Got two dogs one is bigger than the other, hence BIg dog and little dog - they have regular names, but i usually call them dog or both at the same time dogs - they understand.

My FEG PJK 9HP, with the ribbed slide, I call my Ugly Gun.