Ever buy a firearm because of a movie or TV show?

JT-AR-MG42

After seeing 'The Gauntlet', I just had to have a 2 1/2" 66. Rounded one up from a senior State Trooper and paid through the nose for it as they were kinda new on the market and hard to come by.

It shot like a POS. I mean I tried everything from 148 WCs to 158 JHP .357s and it gave nothing better than 4" 25 yd. groups.

Got lucky and traded it straight across for a bringback ALL correct Underwood carbine long before the import days.

JT

docnyt

I must confess the "Deadliest Warrior" episode on the Spetsnatz turned me onto collecting Makarovs. Now if I can only find a ballistic knife to go with it.

jmr40

Not everyone will admit to it, but we are all influenced by movies and TV. You can even blame your grand-parents. Lever actions were almost never used in the real west. They were all but dead until the westerns of the 1920's-1970's dominated Movies and TV. While SAA Colts were quite common in the old west, they were all but dead until the western movies became popular as well.

Remember Clint Eastwoods 44 magnum or Mel Gibsons Beretta. Both guns sales took off after they were featured in movies. No doubt Thomas Magnum's 1911 influenced a few guys to go that way as well. After Mark Wahlberg's role in "Sniper" everyone wanted a long range sniper rifle. And the "A Team" sold countless Ruger Mini-14's to unsuspecting buyers.

EdInk

I think everyone has been influenced in some fashion to buy a firearm because of TV or movies. Whether it be because of Westerns as kids or the News as an adult.

aarondhgraham

I came close to buying a Sharps,,,

Because of Quigley Down Under,,,
But then I came to my senses,,,
And put the credit card away.

I did spend years (before www.imfdb.org),,,
Trying to figure out the pistol Paul Kersey carried in Death Wish II.

Imagine my surprise upon finding out that it was a Beretta 85,,,
And that I had just purchased one of those beauties.

Aarond

Last edited:

Glenn Dee

Two Guns...

Call me demented... But I just had to have a 6.5 manlicher carcano. Purchased at Kaufmans army/navy on 42nd st NYC.

Although I have yet to satisfy this craving... A two toned 4" Colt Python like the one in "Electra glide in blue"

Maybe three guns.
A 2" colt diamondback like Steve McQueen carried in "BULLIT"

Ahhhh what that heck...lol Most of my guns have a movie or TV theme... I'm sick. I know it. I need help.

Glenn D.

Webleymkv

I always wanted a PPK after watching all the James Bond movies on TV as a kid, I finally settled on a PP. I always wanted a Webley after seeing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and finally got one a few months ago (though I got a Mk. IV .38/200 rather than the Mk. VI .455 that Harrison Ford used).

I've lusted after an HK Mark 23 SOCOM ever since playing Metal Gear Solid when I was a kid and I've wanted a S&W Performance Center 627 Snub ever since seeing Blood Work for the first time. Oh, I nearly forgot that I've wanted a Winchester M1895 in .405 Win ever since I saw The Wind and the Lion for the first time.

BitterTait

one purchased (AR-7, "From Russia With Love"), one planned as the gun after next (Mare's leg, "Wanted, Dead or Alive"), an two more will be mine if they ever come out of them (Deckard's pistol from "Blade Runner" and the M-41 Pulse Rifle from "aliens"). Henry's been kind enough to manufacture the first two, maybe I can convince them to make the second two.

NightSleeper

Technically, I came to like the Walther PPK due to the James Bond movies. But first I researched them on the internet prior to making a purchase, so I didn't just 'impulse buy' one because Sean Connery looked good holding one. I bought one because of their sterling reputation ... :eek:

pgdion

I wouldn't say I bought a gun because of a TV show or movie but they have been the tripping point for me to go and look at one. Lethal Weapon sparked my interest in the Beretta 92, Handling the gun and reading reviews are what made the sale though. Certainly movies like Lethal Weapon & Die hard contributed to the interest though (that beretta just looks so good in action!).

Roaddog

Well I ges I'm just old but Davy Crockett and Dan'l Boon made me want a flintlock longrifle for a very long time. I now have them from 36cal. to 69cal. And Quigly made his mark too.:)

twobit

A few decades ago I bought a Star Trek hand phaser. Turned out to not have either a stun or kill setting. :mad: ..it only shot those little spinning plastic discs! :( cured me of the "As seen on TV " trap.