Evaluate quality/reliability of S&W MP AR in .223.

So far my main sporting rifles are a pair of SKS, now four AK derivatives added on.
Plinking is the only activity. We have no land, so no feral pig options in west TN, with no interest in bench rest shooting.

How would you describe the long-term operational reliability, but also the quality of internal steel components after 3,000 (+) rounds, for the lowest cost varieties of retail ARs having factory iron sights for under $650 retail?
Even an all-American AK clone now being built shows documented premature internal wear after only 1,000 rds. Hence the skepticism...

Let's be crystal clear that I have Zero interest in building a rifle, only contemplating a retail gun before next fall's possible panic. Want to be set for retirement next spring.

Last edited:

O4L

My first AR was a S&W M&P15 OR (Optics Ready).

I was very happy with the quality and reliability of that rifle. Because of that experience, I would not hesitate to buy the S&W Sport II if I was wanting a factory built low cost rifle.

My current AR builds are various lowers mated with PSA complete midlength uppers.

I can't speak to the 3000+ round wear question, because I haven't had the opportunity to put that many rounds through my rifles, but I have not heard of any issues with excessive wear on the budget AR offerings of S&W.

98 220 swift

I have also been very happy with the M&P sport II that I bought a few moths ago. Have only put a few hunred rouns through it with no problems and see no reason why it would give any problems. Its also quite accurate with a scope on it being feed good ammo. 1 1/2" at 100 yards. Could probably do better if I worked up a load for it.

9x19

Neither of mine have broken or jammed, nor have any parts fallen off. :D

Good to go on both quality and reliability IME.

MarkCO

We have a few newer 3Gunners that have been using them for a bit now. One thinks he has about 6K on his, the other said about 10K. They have done nothing internally except clean and lube at about 1K intervals.

I would be very surprised if they can not get to at least 20K without any parts issues. Trigger springs, gas rings, extractor spring and buffer spring should be replaced at some point. Based on your uses, I doubt you ever wear anything out on an M&P.

dieselbeef

I have 3 sw ar's. a 22..a sport2..and a high end custom pc gun.

we have shot the crap out of both the 22 ad the sport2. no issues except the 22 will stovepipe..i attribute it to ammo. thousnads of rds thru both. the sports my truck gun..quad rifle when im out checking cows or chasing a dog/yote...it gets banged around also a good bit.easily 5k thru this gun..easily

I don't borescope it but I do look in the barrel to be sure it cleaned..and I see it still looks as new. ramps and bcg don't show any wear to speak of.

being of the sw I figured that the quality of their cheaper ones would still be higher than a 400 of various manuf.

I got mine for 499...knowing what I know now...id probly spend more for the same rifle if I needed another.

Soclosenotnear

We sell the m&p15's for around $700 new. I've been considering purchasing one, but haven't decided if its worth the extra $200 over what I could pick up at our local Palmetto state armory.

O4L

We sell the m&p15's for around $700 new. I've been considering purchasing one, but haven't decided if its worth the extra $200 over what I could pick up at our local Palmetto state armory.
If it is the Sport or Sport II, that is too high. I've seen much better prices online, even as low as $499.

I also don't believe they are any better rifles than the PSA builds that can be had for $500-$600.

I haven't seen an Al receiver AR yet from any brand currently on the market that won't chug through 3000 rounds with ease. If there is any wear, it is usually on the cam slot of the upper - and even there it would have to be really unusual aggressive wear to cause a problem by 3000 rounds.

tacticalmedic

I have a little over 5k rounds thru my M&P 15 Sport II. No issues at all with it. I paid $588 for it about a yr ago. It's 100% stock and it runs fine. I clean it after a range session and I use mobile 1 to lube it.

Thanks to you ladies/gents for confirming what a coworker told me today.

Is the front post sight fairly thin, considering that the sight distance might be pretty short for aperture iron sights?

The standard front sight post these days is usually the A2 - which is square and about 11 MOA wide (the front sight post will be the width of a 19.5" wide E-silhouette at 150m)

marine6680

It may not fit his criteria exactly... But it requires no skilll or tools to mate a completed upper and lower together. You take the rifle that far apart just to start cleaning it.

Brownells has an Aero precision rifle on sale for $600... It's a basic rifle like a Sport II, but has a midlength gas system, so I recommend it over the S&W...

The Ruger, I think there is debate on whether or not the barrel is nitride treated, so it would be nice to know for sure on that one. If it is, then it is a good third option.

turtlehead

The BCM doesn't come with the charging handle, BCG or a handguard. Or a lower. Not even close to the OP's price range.

It is good stuff, though. I use a lot of BCM parts.

Soclosenotnear:

Two days ago I spent a short night in the Hol. Inn Crowne Plaza, not too far (they said) from Palmetto State. Armory.
Really too bad we had to leave the hotel about 1000, even though I wouldn't want to attempt to build my own rifle.

5.56RifleGuy

The only thing I have seen worn out on an AR upper was where the charging handle latched. This was after about 10,000 or more rounds. When shooting suppressed the charging handle would move back and smack you in the face.