European Holiday, or Who Here Reads Finnish?

Leif

I feel so European with my new acquisitions that I received last night:

IMG_0783.jpg

Top rifle is an Anschutz 64 MPR in .22lr, onto which I will mount match sights once I get around to ordering them (busy holiday this year). Bottom rifle is a Finnish "sneak" Mosin, dated 1968.

The Finn came with a hang tag in Finnish that looks like it dates to the 1960s. Does anybody here read Finnish?

I'm a happy camper today! :)

Leif

Illinicane, thanks! Anschutz is a German manufacturer; they make high quality target rifles. This is one of their entry level models. It'll go well with all the blutwurst, teewurst, and stollen that I ordered for Christmas this year. :D

The Finnish sneaks are high quality refurbished rifles produced between 1968 and 1970. The 'sneak' nickname, as I understand it, comes from their ostensibly being produced covertly due to Finnish fears of the Soviets at that time. I'm just learning about these as well.

Wildalaska, thanks! Now I just have to get back from the in-laws in NJ and try it out. I swear, this thing doesn't even look like it's been shot!

So, Anschutz shooters of TFL, which sights do you prefer? I'm looking at either the Centra Long Range or the Anschutz 7002 Universal, with an adjustable iris added later.

finn2

"Seriously looking for finnish translator for some time"

Okay, I cannot stand this anymore.
So, how can I help you, Sir?

Congrats, you have got two great rifles there; Anschutz multipurpose rifle for serious .22 rimfire shooting and top of evolution of Mosin-Nagant's made by Sako.

Leif

Somebody took the bait! :)

The batteries for the camera are recharging (it is the holiday, after all), so here's a transcription:

FRONT

Kohdisttettu _____
Kohdistaja JT
Tähtäyspiste konekohdistuksessa ampumaetäisyys 30 m
Tähtäyspiste ratakohdistuksessa 150 m taulun keskipisteessä, ampumaetäisyys 150 m
Iskemäkeskipiste siirretään allaolevaan tauluun
[text followed by a diagram of a target]

REVERSE

Ase 7.62 kiv[...] 39
N : o _____
Kal. _____
Kartio _____
Syöpaste _____
Vahnistanut Korjannut Ase V1
Tarkastanut VO OH
Pvm
Huomautuksia Klymä k[…]ltu porras […]m:llä

The parts marked with periods in brackets are obscured by smudges. I'll run this through the translator and post pictures later. Thanks! (finn2, welcome to TFL!)

finn2

Tags front page contains information about testfiring and sights aligning.

Exact words means:

Aligned___
Work done by JT
Aimingpoint at machinerest test, shooting distance 30 m
Aimingpoint in the middle of the 150 m -target at range test, distance 150m
Middlepoint of impacts will be moved to target shown below

Another side is for markings concerning the condition of the barrel:

Gun type
No.
Cal.
Taper (bore shape)
Corrosion grade
Work done by army depot 1
Inspector
Date

Finally there's a note I cannot fully understand, maybe photos you are going to send will help.

I don't no, how much these rifle were "sneak", but they were intended to sniper use, and only best possible components were used.

Leif

finn2, thanks for the translation - much appreciated.

Here's some images of the tag:

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

I wonder if the tag was intended for test firing, but not used for whatever reason. Are the "sneaks" popular in Finland?

finn2

Text has disappeared harmfully, but it might mean that only "cold aligning" has been done, without actual firing.

Until recent years these rifles have been sold to reservists at very moderate price, so they are quite commonly seen at shooting ranges as well as still used for moose hunting.
Rest of them, I think, has been exported to U.S and Canada, for your pleasure.

More information about "sneaks" you will find, for example, here:

http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/QA17.html

Ps. Let us know how your new rifle shoots (both of them).

Leif

finn2, thanks again for the information. I've seen that website before - you get to shoot some fine items over there! I wish that suppressors were allowed in my state.

I'll finally be able to get out and shoot the M39 on Monday, although I've only found 60 rounds of Polish surplus locally; will have to order some more, and start reloading. I'm still waiting on the sights for the Anschutz, so hopefully sooner than later. :D

Leif

Abndoc, funny you should say that - it is exactly how I felt about Mosins. I always thought they looked like boat paddles and never understood what people saw in them. I think that there is something about the altered stock geometry and the odd history of this type that makes it more appealing to me. That, and the wood! :D

Apparently one of my cats approves!

Leif

Well, I'd have tried the rifle on Monday had I not blown a tire on my way to do so, so I'll try again this weekend. A little research tells me that the ammunition that I purchased is not Polish, but Bulgarian heavy ball. That should be pleasant for my shoulder!