Ethics of Squirrel Hunting

Frisco

I'm a big believer in not killing it unless you plan on eating it....absent destructive or predatory behavior...but as a pretty rigid personal rule. Squirrel makes a pretty good crock pot meal once you have a few of them.

I had an uncle who would blast anything he saw during deer season. It didn't matter...if he saw a raccoon...BOOM...if he saw a squirrel...BOOM...he just wanted to kill something.

I didn't dig it back then, I don't dig it now, forty years later.

P Flados

Long ago, I hunted dove on a piece of land that the owner was trying to develop into a pecan orchard. His view of the little critters was understandable. Regardless of how they are considered in other areas, any owner of a nut orchard is pretty justified in my eye to consider "tree rats" as very harmful pests.

Our society has an attachment to "cute" critters. Killing for no good reason is wrong. Killing for a good reason is not considered wrong by most folk. Again most folk consider killing for food or killing for hazard / pest elimination to be good reasons. Some are selective in what critters they think are ok to kill. Snake haters can be bambi lovers.

Pelt harvesting is an area where there is more of a pushback from those that think of the applicable critters are "cute".

I pretty much resent applying "cuteness" as a reason for not killing one pest vs thinking it is OK to kill a pest that is low on "cuteness". I also resent those that oppose hunting wild animals, but are happy to enjoy yet another burger or fried chicken meal.

rc

In California ground squirrel are a pest species like rats that will destroy levees, destroy crops and burrow big holes in your fields that causes lots of problems. Coyotes love them.

stinkeypete

In some cases nature has lost control. Most often due to man’s intrusion in to the natural order.

To bring back balance, avoid overpopulation (animal starvation, disease) or agricultural damage, responsible varmint hunting is fine for me. Bubba shooting at wild hogs from helicopters with high cap semi autos ain’t that in my book. Put them down with a responsible shot.

Otherwise, you shoot it, you eat it.

Pahoo

Easy to clean and easier to eat !!!

I feel that the biggest hang-up, on folks wanting to hunt squirrels, is lack of experience in cleaning them. Across this country, there are a variety of squirrels and not sure how they all taste. In the Midwest we mostly have Fox and Greys. The Greys are my favorite to hunt and eat. I walk out of the woods with dressed squirrels. Take them home, cut them into five pieces, wash and either freeze them or cook them. I use the tried and proven Campbell's cream of mushroom soup recipe. Two hours in the oven and I'm ready to eat. ...... ;)

I usually eat alone. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!!

BarryLee

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, but this thread is over four years old. I've long since decided not to hunt since I have no actual use for the meat and know no one else who does. I agree shooting them and leaving them is unethical and never seriously saw it as an option, but was curious what the prevailing thought on the matter was.

Double K

Information for other people who may be wondering.

I guarantee that with a little looking around you can find someone who will want the meat and the skins. You can look on the internet for tutorials on skinning, it's very easy with a little practice. Squirrel is some of the best small wild game there is when they've been eating acorns or apples.
Mepps the spinner manufacturer will actually pay you for squirrel tails, that's what they use for bucktail spinners. There may be fly shops in your area that want them as well.

Erno86

Squirrels are considered a "chef's delicacy."

Of all my years huntin' squirrels...I never knew --- until bout two days ago --- that squirrels and birds love to dine on the dried seeds (which happens by mid-fall) of the sweet gum tree cluster balls.

HiBC

Aside from obeying game laws (good idea) check in with that guy you look at in the mirror.
You want to be able to look him in the eyes without shame.
You want to be able to like being that guy.
Folks who are ashamed of who they are,don't know how to be ashamed of what they do.
Make choices that do not bring you shame.

With that,you ought to be able to decide what to do with a squirrel.

I would have no shame killing squirrels who are tearing up my house.
I'm good with the idea of lawfully hunting them to eat.

Shooting them just to watch then fall out of the tree? Leaving them? No....I'd feel ashamed of that.

That would give me my answer.

Scorch

Back when I was a kid, we were taught to use as much of an animal as possible.
Mepps Lures used to buy squirrel tails. They advertised in magazines like Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, Boys Life, anything with an outdoors theme. Supposedly paid pretty well if you had the right kind of squirrels (fox squirrels). We tried sending ground squirrel tails and got a nice "thanks but no thanks" letter back from them. I'm not even sure if Mepps is still in business. But there are outlets for a lot of natural products like skins, although a lot of this type of trade has been quashed.
Just checked. They still have the program. Fox squirrel and grey squirrel tails. Pay .16 to .24/tail, depending on quantities.

Last edited:

Geezerbiker

We have a season for Silver Gray squirrels here in Oregon. I've only seen one in all my time in the woods so I've never gotten excited about hunting them. The one i saw was about the size of a house cat...

Tony

senecahornet

I shoot them all year round, when they get into my bird houses. Leave them lay, by morning they are gone.....set up a trail cam....a bobcat would carry them off. Nick named him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THE UNDERTAKER

stinkeypete

- You shoot it, you eat it and make reasonable use of the whole animal. Reasonable is up for debate. You breast out a dove and that's proper. A pheasant you breast out and make use of the legs and thighs as well. I make soup from the carcasses.. and that goes for Turkey, too. I admit I don't eat the testicles, heart and liver of deer, and don't make leather from the hide. Others do. "reasonable use" is a grey area.

- A landowner has an ethical duty to allow a small party of hunters to follow their blood trail, on foot, on his property without first getting permission. The hunters must only be in pursuit of their wounded animal and not do any damages other than tracks in the mud or snow. If they want to bring vehicles or horses, they must ask the landowner. That's how it used to be, legally in my state. Then Scott Walker had the rules changed. Now if your blood trail goes into another property, you have to go ask permission, or legally you can just forget it ever happened. That's wrong.

- Pest control isn't hunting. When the Department of Natural Resources says "cull this animal on sight" then follow that request. Hogs in Wisconsin? Shoot on sight. Call the DNR and report it. At one point in the neighboring county where I hunt, white tail deer were to be shot on sight during deer season. Carcasses were to be hauled to the DNR station for testing. I think I got about 17 that season. Agricultural tags? I've shot deer for the land owner at his request. As it's a CWD hotspot, what he does with them is not my concern. The neighbor's deer just tested positive for CWD. We won't eat it or even feed the meat to the dogs. It will be disposed of properly.

Sometimes a land owner can follow the 3 S's... shoot, shovel and shut up about it. Illegal but sometimes ethical. Sometimes not.

City pests- if I trap an animal, it will not be released into the wild. The overpopulated pest animals in the city often carry disease and that should not be spread into the wild. Cronic Wasting Disease has run wild among deer where I live. Don't transport wild animals or fish unless you're working under the direction of the DNR. Like rabbits in Australia... don't do that.

Poaching for Food... my dad was a boy in the time of WWII, his dad was a veteran of WWI and too old to serve. They poached deer for needy hungry families who's men were off at war. The game warden told them it was okay to take a couple extra and he'd look the other way. Illegal but ethical. I bet there are other cases of this.

Shooting or Trapping for fur... so long as the activity is for the good of the species, keeping the species healthy and numbers in check as determined by wildlife biologists, I am okay with that and it's legal.

Trapping animals and relocating them to be shot so tourists can pay you to shoot at them on paid "guided hunts" or from helicopters, legal but unethical. That's my opinion.

Shooting stocked birds that have just been placed in the field 20 minutes earlier? That's like shooting fish in a barrel, but I have done it and felt bad about it. I saw the chicken wagon and did not go home. If the birds have been afield for who knows how long? No problem, the dog had to work hard to find them.

Shooting penned birds straight from the pen to train dogs? That's only if the trainer knows what they are doing and they are REALLY training dogs. Mine didn't need this, he knew what to do from field bird hunting.

Injuring pigeons to train dogs? That one turns my stomach a bit, but if the trainer really knows what they are doing.... ehhh.. I don't like that one but would rely on the trainer to know the difference between training and animal cruelty for no purpose. My dog didn't need it.

- "Some folks just need to be shot but cannibalism is wrong." - my dad.

Last edited:

FITASC

I shoot them all year round, when they get into my bird houses. Leave them lay, by morning they are gone.....set up a trail cam....a bobcat would carry them off. Nick named him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THE UNDERTAKER

I used to do the same; turns out the scavenger were crows; they would take the dead squirrel and fly away with it (I assume to their nest)

Paul B.

"This question is probably close to the coyote debate. I've heard of people that shoot coyotes and leave them in the field. Most people skin them out but I don't think I ever heard of anyone eating them. But someone must."

Maybe in dire straights. I once was friends with an old timer who prospected for gold in the summer and trapped coyotes and bobcats for the fur come winter. he made a pretty good living at it. We were talking one day while out on a deer hunt and he said that he was always happy to catch a bobcat. Said they and mountain lion were good eating. But he also said coyotes were tough and nasty and would only eat one if nothing else was available. Had the chance to try it a few times but when the thought of what he said came to mind, I passed. Coyotes love carrion and that sure would not improve the flavor.
That old timer pssed back arounf 1977/78. Don't remember which.
Paul B.

reynolds357

If you aren't going to eat it,,,
Or otherwise "use" the animal,,,
Killing it for sport is just wanton slaughter.

JMHO

Aarond

In general, I agree. Squirrels have become more aggravating to me than Coyotes. They haul off half my pecans. A few years ago, one got into my service entrance at my shop and cost me a couple thousand dollars. I put them in same category as a rat when they are around my shop and house. In the woods, I leave them alone.