Eotech XPS - Anyone actually buy/use it?

jg0001

FYI: it's August 22nd and I Optics Planet is STILL backordered on my Eotech XPS 3-0. They received one shipment in June and nothing since. (I ordered in FEBRUARY.)

jg0001

Today (Aug 24, 2009) OpticsPlanet sent me an email... it's BACK IN STOCK. I had to call them to verify that I still wanted it (that kind of annoys me -- I hope they didn't put me at risk of not getting it after a 6 month wait!).

Anyhow, my order status (at last) says 'shipped'. Woo!

jg0001

It (Eotech XPS3-0) arrived! And here I go.. making with the pictures...
(Along with it, you'll see my 3x Flip to Side magnifier-- the Eotech G23.FTS)

2dride8.jpg

20i9ef7.jpg

t84vgy.jpg

169olyw.jpg

zsnyw4.jpg

14y5ze1.jpg

csmsss

I'm always amused at those who complain about the "short" battery life of Eotechs. The Eotech 550A gets 1100 hours on a pair of AA cells. That's about a month and a half - continuous, or about $5 a year you'd spend on batteries if you run it continuously and it never shuts itself off.

Last edited:

PepperGarza

Ranges for the two dot model?

Regarding the XPS with the circle and two dotswhat is the rage set up for the the two different dot. The one in the center is for 0-200 yrds I assume but what about the other dot. I assume (once again) that the XPS was desigen for .223/5.56 and the dots are so calibrated for a specific barrel lenght. I have looked but I have not seen anthing from the Eotech about this two dot setup.

Webyshops.com

EoTech XPS series have been out for almost a year now and they are getting great reviews.

XPS2-2 seems to be the runaway favorite in the XPS family.

As some of the previous members have mentioned - EoTech has made great advancements in power management and with battery time pushing 1000+ hours - XPS sights are a must have for any AR fan.

Lloyd Smale

Id like to talk to these bearded men that trashed aimpoints but can keep eotecs running. Aint happening.

[QUOTEI'm a dyed-in-the-wool EOTech fanatic. I saw bearded men with no name tapes using them in Trashcanistan while I was there, and had the opportunity to see them do a demonstration of it as compared to my issued Aimpoint. The bearded men had trashed their issued Aimpoints and bought EOTechs.

I stupidly sold my 512 to a buddy who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm in the market for a new one. I may have to get the mini XPS once the buying frenzy cools off. Not too many red dots out there can put 5 rounds into 1" at 100, but I've seen my (former) EOtech 512 do it maybe a half dozen times using XM193 in an M4gery. Dang it, I can feel my wallet getting $450 lighter..... ][/QUOTE]

Webyshops.com

Regarding the XPS with the circle and two dotswhat is the rage set up for the the two different dot. The one in the center is for 0-200 yrds I assume but what about the other dot. I assume (once again) that the XPS was desigen for .223/5.56 and the dots are so calibrated for a specific barrel lenght. I have looked but I have not seen anthing from the Eotech about this two dot setup.

You got to look this info up in the manual. We had this question asked before, so we put it on our website. Here's the image for quick reference:

EOTech XPS2 - XPS3 - using the 2-Dot Ballistic Reticle.jpg

saunderscc

I'm actually considering an XPS for an integrally silenced 10/22.

The newish XPS requires less than 3" of rail and the EO 3X magnifier even less, could both be put on said 10/22?

Opinions appreciated.

saunderscc

I wasn't especially clear in my first post.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use, say, an EXPS3-0 with 3x G23.FTS combination on an integrally silenced 10/22?

Alternative suggestions welcome. I still have some time to wait for the transfer. I'm just doing my homework now.

I use a Trijicon ACOG TA-31DOC setup on a Steyr AUG A3, which I'm very happy with. Another ACOG seems a little large for the 10/22.

The EOTech combination above seems to offer maximum flexibility. I'm wondering if I've overlooked other good setups.

Thanks.

MKM

Eotech XPS3

Bought the new Eotech XPS3-0 and not impressed. Came in with a QD lever mount (that's about the only +) but the recticle is not as clean and crisp as advertised. Own 2 Amiponts ML3s - one with 2MOA and the other with 4 MOA dot. Besids the weight and the battery life comps, Aimpoint is superior in recticle and accuracy of shots. Even with the 4MOA dot the groops are much tighter when compared to Eotech's 1 MOA.
Unlike Aimpoint, which came with a rubbber protective cover and flip-up lens covers for the same price as Eotech, one has to buy lens covers for Eotech after market. GG&G sells them, but after buyng 1 on E-Bay that did not fit the XPS3 (although advertised as an XPS-series cover) and buying a 2nd one directly from GG&G, I am left disapointed. The cover was designed to fit XPS2 and is short for fitting under the XPS3 hood. Even after some "modifications" (like making a razor blade cut in the cover side pannels to allow for stretching in order to mount), the GG&G cover just won't stay shut. Wrote GG&G an e-mail to ask why are they selling a miss-fitted product, but got no reply... Anyway, for the price, Eotech should include it's own lens covers.
In summary, I'll probably end up selling the Eotech and buyng Aimpoint again (the new COMP M4S perhaps).

Sorry Eotech fans, but they just don't pass the cut for me.

christcorp

I have the XPS2-0. Same as the XPS3-0 except it's not night vision capable. Sorry; I'm no longer in the military and I don't need to spend the extra $100 for night vision.

Anyway; if all I wanted was a red-dot, I would have gone for the aimpoint. But I wanted true holographic and the 65moa ring. The 65moa ring is what allows NORMAL CQB target acquisition so fast and accurate. (Even the Aimpoint followers admit that for CQB, with the 65moa ring, the eotech is faster acquisition).

As for the recticle being clean and crisp, that's where holographic takes some practice. 1) You have to look through it to your target. You can't focus in on the eotech sight and recticle. 2) You have to make sure you're shooting with both eyes open. You can do it with 1 eye, but the 3D vision isn't there with 1 eye closed. 3) If you have an astigmatism, wear glasses (Especially bi-focals), or have vision issues, you could see the recticle a bit fuzzy. Try looking through the sight with your other eye. (I know you can't shoot that way, but you can determine if the image is sharper or at least different).

The eotech is not for everyone. No doubt. But for close combat battle; home defense; and other engagements that are short distances; which is what these weapons are designed for; the eotech is much faster as acquiring your target and for accuracy. But there are some people that can't look through a 3D holographic image like that. Some prefer a simple red-dot projected. It does take some getting use to, but if you really try it and don't make an opinion the first day using it, you'll find that it's really an excellent sight. Especially on quick target acquisition.

Father Time

Unlike Aimpoint, which came with a rubbber protective cover and flip-up lens covers for the same price as Eotech, one has to buy lens covers for Eotech after market. GG&G sells them, but after buyng 1 on E-Bay that did not fit the XPS3 (although advertised as an XPS-series cover) and buying a 2nd one directly from GG&G, I am left disapointed. The cover was designed to fit XPS2 and is short for fitting under the XPS3 hood. Even after some "modifications" (like making a razor blade cut in the cover side pannels to allow for stretching in order to mount), the GG&G cover just won't stay shut. Wrote GG&G an e-mail to ask why are they selling a miss-fitted product, but got no reply... Anyway, for the price, Eotech should include it's own lens covers.
In summary, I'll probably end up selling the Eotech and buyng Aimpoint again

Can't blame EoTech when a 3rd party lens cover dosen't fit right. Besides not all Aimpoint models come with lens covers. And only two (The Comp M4 and the PRO) come with mounts.

I like both Aimpoints and EoTechs. But both have their faults. Frankly IMHO the only thing Aimpoint has over the EoTech is the battery life. Being about to go for several years of constant on is amazing. They are also the toughest sights around.

But since I'm not HALO jumping into enemy controled waters for a super-ninja-steath OP I'll take the sight that lets me shoot faster and more accuratly.... The EoTech. The 1 MOA/65MOA dot-ring allows me to shoot faster at close range and more accuratly at distance because the dot dosen't cover as much of the target.
Don't get me wrong I love the Aimpoints (and I don't blame anyone for perefering the Aimpoints for whatever reason) but for my uses the EoTech servers me just as good or better.

geetarman

I have two Eotech sights. Both use AA batteries and one is on a .223 and one is on a .308. Have no problems with battery shifting or battery life.

Geetarman:D