Eotech XPS - Anyone actually buy/use it?

KyJim

I understand they were supposed to actually be out. Has anyone actually bought or used the XPS? I've been holding off getting an Eotech for my AR until the XPS comes out and there's some feedback from users.

Bart Noir

Just looked at Eotech site.

Nice! I like that new version. It ought to put to rest any worries about the batteries shifting due to recoil, and the battery springs getting weakened.

Bart Noir
Who also wonders when it will be available, and for how much.

KyJim

Who also wonders when it will be available, and for how much.
I saw it advertised a couple of months ago on Optics Planet but wasn't to be available until the summer. Now, Optics Planet says "sold out." I'm thinking maybe the first shipments have started but can't find out. I would also prefer someone else field test it. :)

Bond007

I'd definitely appreciate the reduced weight and rail usage, but I'm going to wait for several more reviews before I jump on one. They look exciting though!

CortJestir

I just looked at OpticsPlanet.com as well. It seems they have both the NV and non-NV versions in stock now. $469 for the non-NV and $545 for the NV compatible.

sholling

500-600 hours battery life, as compared to 50,000 hours from Aimpoint Micro models.
Different animals. I like the the little Aimpoint but not everyone wants a 4 MOA dot. Some prefer the EOTech reticle and no visibility from the front. That's why I have an EO.

jg0001

I ordered an Eotech XPS3-0 in FEBRUARY from OpticsPlanet. At the time, it was noted as "May+" delivery.

I was told that I was too far back in the queue to get something from the JUNE shipment and that the next shipment was due in the first week of JULY (just passed) and that I was 15th in line. I called and that shipment seems to be held up.

Anywho, long and short, they ARE shipping, but they are considerably backordered.

On another note, I ordered the NEW version of the Eotech 3x flip-to-side magnifier and it arrived from OpticsPlanet in approx 3 days.

Last edited:

overkill556x45

Now that's cool.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool EOTech fanatic. I saw bearded men with no name tapes using them in Trashcanistan while I was there, and had the opportunity to see them do a demonstration of it as compared to my issued Aimpoint. The bearded men had trashed their issued Aimpoints and bought EOTechs.

I stupidly sold my 512 to a buddy who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm in the market for a new one. I may have to get the mini XPS once the buying frenzy cools off. Not too many red dots out there can put 5 rounds into 1" at 100, but I've seen my (former) EOtech 512 do it maybe a half dozen times using XM193 in an M4gery. Dang it, I can feel my wallet getting $450 lighter.....

CortJestir

Different animals. I like the the little Aimpoint but not everyone wants a 4 MOA dot. Some prefer the EOTech reticle and no visibility from the front. That's why I have an EO.

I agree completely. I have a Burris FastFire with a 4 MOA dot and sometimes I find it's more distracting than helpful. Since I've recently picked up my 512, I've quickly learned to prefer the crisper 1 MOA dot. I also especially like the 65 MOA ring on the Eotechs - very handy for estimating range. 65 MOA = 68" at 100 yards, about the average height of man.

Anyway, this XPS looks interesting but pricey. The reticule options are nice, though. If I were to get one, it probably would be the 65 MOA ring with the 2 dots - although that may be too busy. I'd have to see it in person.

Wiskey_33

I wasn't aware that the micros only came in 4 MOA. My ML3 has a 2 MOA and I love it. I've got a stigmatism in both eyes, so looking through an EOTech makes the reticle do numbers for me. Too busy.

I just wonder why it is that EO can't come up with the same battery technology Aimpoint uses.:confused:

KyJim

jg0001--

Make sure you give us a review when you get yours. I am not a real serious AR guy, so the 500-600 hour battery life is fine with me. I am curious to see if this resolves the shifting battery problem.

USP45T

tag for a future review.

My kid wants one for his SIG 556. Last month I saw the XPS2-0 for sale at optics planet but Calvin at brightflashlights stated that they weren't shipping yet. I hope they come in soon.

TheManHimself

I just wonder why it is that EO can't come up with the same battery technology Aimpoint uses.

My understanding is that it has to do with the way the reticle is projected. the EOtech uses some fancy holographic projection deal that sucks batteries dry, while the Aimpoint is a standard LED reflex design - the catch being that they use a state-of-the-art LED that is incredibly small (and thus requires very little power to illuminate).

Sixer

I've got a copy of the 2009 EoTech catalog... the soldier on the cover has an XPS on his Bushy. Looks pretty sweet!

jg0001

jg0001--

Make sure you give us a review when you get yours. I am not a real serious AR guy, so the 500-600 hour battery life is fine with me. I am curious to see if this resolves the shifting battery problem.

As of today (July 14th), I'm still on backorder status... as I noted, I did get the new for 2009 Eotech 3(.25)x FTS magnifier, so I will be able to toy with the combo (eventually)!

jg0001

Checked in with OpticsPlanet again (7/17)... they called Eotech for me and they have shifted their expected date from what was 7/6 to late July/early August. The OP rep mentioned something about manufacturing issues or somesuch as causing the delay. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit more.

USP45T

XPS is in the Sportsmans Guide cat I rec'd today (7-31). Appears as though they're finally shipping.

Edit: XPS2-0 out of stock. I wonder if they ever actually had any. Website shows "expected availability August 10th.

Last edited:

USP45T

I definitely prefer the single 2moa dot of an ML3. My kid wants a circle dot and he can't have my 553, so XPS2-0 it is.