End run around the 2nd amendment, EPA lead ban.

Slamfire

I am going to tell you something you don’t want to hear: lead is bad for you!

I run into denialists all the time, I think they think that by denying lead toxicity shooters somehow are protecting shooting rights.

The attack on our shooting rights is a much larger effort.

Still to get back on track, avoid lead. The current OSHA standards limit workers to 50 micrograms per cubic meter of lead. When you breathe lead vapors lead gets into your body and stays there. Can take years to get lead out of your blood, tissue, fat. Just Google Lead toxicity to find out what it does to humans. Based on my research the greatest source of lead contamination is shooting lead bullets in handguns, and indoor pistol ranges.

This chart shows that each time you pull the trigger on a 38 Special loaded with 158 grain lead bullets, that round puts out 5600 micrograms of lead in the air. That is one heck of a lot of lead particles in the air.

Shoot in open air, clean up your hands before eating, and I don’t know what to do about the clothes. There are lots of lead particles on your clothing after shooting.

LeadinAir38Special158grainbullets.jpg

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The toxicity of lead is a completely different question than it's danger to the environment or individual shooters because it's used for bullets.

Lead has already been totally, or nearly so, replaced in waterfowl hunting. No other form of shooting or hunting is dangerous to people, animals or the environment, except indoor shooting ranges, which already have their own (effective or otherwise) regulations governing exposure/abatement.

UtopiaTexasG19

"There are lots of lead particles on your clothing after shooting."

I shoot while naked so no problems here.....
except in the prone position! :)

zincwarrior

No, Zinc does not work very well.

Zinc respectfuly disagrees and proffers he works quite hard from 9.15 to 9.45AM. ;)

As noted there currently is a law, and IIRC the EPA has publicly stated in the past it does not have to the right to rtegulate lead. I do know this tactic has regularly been brought up by Brady et al in the past.

speedrrracer

Well no one can trust you because, as a zinc warrior, you clearly have a conflict of interest

unless you'll have us believe you're a sunscreen pimp

Hogtown

years ago we made our own fishing sinkers using babbitt, melts easy, a little lighter then lead, don`t know if it would hold up, it being a little soft

UtopiaTexasG19

HogTown,
Those of us that rebuild Model T's (1909-1927) and Model A's (1928-1931) are always looking for good quality babbit to melt and pour for mains and cam bearings. It used to be plentiful in the grade and percentage needed for automotive engines but like everything else is getting more and more expensive all the time. Please don't shoot it up. :D