Effect Of Muzzle Devices On Accuracy

Jim Watson

My early days in F class there were a couple of guys using silencers. Didn't appear to hurt their accuracy. Might have helped, otherwise NRA would not have banned them.

Bart B.

CW308, I have detectable flinch shooting 22lr rifle, and I've been shooting for 35 years. The joke with the offhand rimfire shooters at RFC, most of whom are quite a lot better than me, is that there is a "mighty tug" that will spoil most ten round groups. In my case I believe it comes from a failure to accept the wobble and an attempt to drive the front sight to the bull as the shot breaks.

Did that solve his problem when he was pressing the trigger himself?

The better I get at timing the shot, the harder it gets to accept the wobble, but timing the shot isn't consistently good enough to get reliably good groups.
Yes, he finally learned not to flinch and hold the trigger back until he quit moving from recoil.

What does this "timing the shot" mean?

The better I get at timing the shot, the harder it gets to accept the wobble, but timing the shot isn't consistently good enough to get reliably good groups.

Last edited:

zukiphile

Bart, if that's the cure, I'll ask someone to do that for me sometime.

Bart B. said:
What does this "timing the shot" mean?

I intended to convey a process in which I observe the wobble and when I see the sight moving toward an optimal sight picture, I press the trigger with the idea that the shot will occur as that optimal sight picture happens.

With a heavy rifle and a trigger I know well, I can make that work sometimes, but it isn't consistent. I end up fighting an urge to drive the front sight or crosshairs to the center with my support hand, and the result of that driving motion almost always results in a shot well wide of the center. I can see it as it happens.

If my messed up method only worked 20% of the time, it would be easier to accept the wobble. When I get it to work 70% of the time, it's too tempting, but it still gives a target with three terrible, score ruining shots.

cw308

Over the years I tried different holds , strong , medium and light on a bench rest bolt action rifle . Which is much easier to do then on a light hunting rifle. Also what caliber. I remember when I was twelve my uncle let me fire a pump action 12 gauge shot gun . He told me it kicks so put the back of your shoulder against a tree. Got me back for hitting him in the head with a snow ball , accidentally busting his windshield with a rock and knocking him off a ladder when he was removing leaves from the gutter on the house . Yea , payback.