EDC Handgun Stick-outs

jmhyer

To emphasize/reiterate Shadow's point...
Many of us cut our teeth on conceal-carrying guns the size of 1911s and G17s. It was what we had. To have all these "add-ons" with microcompact handguns doesn't make them any more wieldy that we are accustomed to. I absolutely love my P365XL with red dot. It's still smaller and lighter than many of my previous options and my aging eyes are happy, too.

totaldla

The stick outs are a marketing gimmick that sells pistols. Didn't you ever wonder how anyone would buy the Taurus Judge or SW Governor pistols? Obviously there is a very strong market for stuff people want as opposed to what people need.

What they need is a giant pile of ammo and a place to shoot. What they want is to play fantasy dress up.

I've been carrying concealed for 25+ years and the last thing I want is more bulk in my carry piece.

There millions of new shooters out there who are just beginning to try stuff. They've got some free money from Uncle Sam and manufacturers have put lots of shiney bobbles in front of them.

IMHO of course.

TunnelRat

I’ve been carrying concealed for as long as I’ve been on this forum. I have a place to shoot and about more ammo than I’ve ever had in years par (having kids now I find getting the time to shoot is harder than having ammunition to shoot). I’m not interested in playing fantasy dress up. I am interested in devices that make a meaningful impact on my shooting. The “free money” I got from Uncle Sam (which was my own tax money given back to me) I put in an account for my kids’ education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Yes there are pros and cons to weapon mounted lights vs hand held. however operating a firearm with a light on it is much easier than holding one at the same time.

Which is a pro and a con at the same time. We've had this discussion here many times, and it always comes down to personal choice. Personally, I think a light on a defensive weapon is a poor idea. A light and a defensive weapon is a better idea.

Isn't the point of a concealed weapon that it doesn't have "stick outs" that could interfere with drawing from concealment??

And also, isn't the point of a compact firearm to be a compact firearm, and everything you add to it that increases its bulk detracts from that?

How much that matters is an individual thing, so, its up to you to decide what is, and isn't for you.

I have some scoped handguns, I have a red dot sight on one of my handguns. But its a 14" Contender in .45-70. Not what most would consider for a concealed or EDC gun. :rolleyes:

armoredman

I never even got around to putting the night sights on my EDC. I do practice with it as often as I can. I can say one thing I always have with me, and it has come in handy a LOT, is my Surefire G2 flashlight in a Surefire hard carrier. However, I am not an "operator" in any way shape or sense of the word, just another fat old man. I HAVE a pistol that has the removable plate for a red dot, maybe some day I'll put one on, and it probably won't bulk up anything much, since it lies in the same plane as the flat of the gun, up against the body. Anything else, no, not rally interested, but it certainly doesn't mean anyone is wrong for doing it, as long as they practice with the equipment regularly.

Doc Intrepid

"Stick-outs" are far from a marketing gimmick.

This attitude is reminiscent of of the experts who predicted that revolvers would always be a mainstay of police agencies due to their superior reliability over semi-auto pistols.

A colleague of mine provides firearms contracts to numerous police and sheriffs departments in multiple states. He stated he cannot even sell pistols to law enforcement agencies any longer unless those pistols have a rail for attaching lights and a plate-cutout for red dot optics. All law enforcement contracts are stipulating that pistols must come with these features.

As goes law enforcement, so goes the general demand curve by civilians as well.

If you like your pistol clean and unadorned with anything but iron sights, have at it.

Lots of guys still like their revolvers - although no police agency or military unit that I'm aware of is still only issuing revolvers.

The simple fact is that law enforcement and military organizations are adopting "stick-outs" because they are effective and they produce tangible benefits to shooters who engage more routinely in gunfights. Knowledgeable civilians who seek those same benefits will logically, over time, demand similar armament. In fact, many of my younger associates who carry concealed - just like jmhyer in post #21 above - routinely carry the new breed of 'J-frame envelope' pistols such as the Sig P365 or its ilk equipped with red dot sights. They are very proficient shooters, and the red dot causes no particular issues at all for concealed carry. Its more about your attitude and your effort in practice than any particular accoutrements.

Just because you choose to stick with what you started with 40 years ago or longer is no reason to be dismissive and condescending towards the choices of newer professional shooters of today. It makes you sound like a geezer. ;-)

44 AMP

Staff
It makes you sound like a geezer. ;-)

But, I AM a geezer! also a curmudgeon, and at this time of year, a bit of a grinch,..:D and I worked hard my whole life to get here!

Not a cop. Never been a cop, never going to be a cop, don't do what cops do, and don't care what today's cops want on their guns. There are old cops who think today's "gadgets" are stupid. There are kids today who think the old guys were stupid. (and just fyi, "kid" in my world is anyone under 40 because MY kids are 40 ;))

Over all, machts nichts. Todays tech means yesterday's "stick outs" don't really stick out. Or stick out much.

Old red dot sight, you know, 1" tube optic scope mounts, a package that can double the height of a pistol? NO WAY i'd have that on a defensive carry gun. Got one on a hunting pistol, no problem. THe small low profile stuff today is neat, but I'm not going out of my way to get it. Not because its not worth having, just because my personal situation doesn't benefit enough to justify the expense.

Now, if the "stick outs" you're talking about are the extended controls, whale tale and speed bump on the grip, I don't need those, either. If they benefit you, go for it, that's why they make them.