Eating some crow. (Beretta 92)

JT-AR-MG42

The original model had a frame safety,

Got lucky and found both a 92 and a 92s in a package deal (pictured with my M9/92FS) NIB.
Haven't decided whether to shoot them or move them to a collector
because my eyes like the bigger sights on the M9 for shooting.

The M9 points well for me and is a fun one for extended shooting.

Crappy photo:?
I would pay to learn to take shots that well.

JT

JoeSixpack

Nice, Don't see those too often.
Thats one of the reason I like the Taurus.. In a lot of ways they're the closest thing still in production to the original design.

Like notice the front strap on the F/FS see how it's flared at the bottom where your pinky goes.. Taurus still uses the straight front strap also.. although In that instance I actually like that change.. it also flares the mag well a bit.

But ya frame safety is where it's at and that's a nice timeline collection you got there.
Now you just need to hunt down a 90-two.. I wish I'd picked one up before they discontinued them.

At the time I mocked it.. now I want one :/

reynolds357

Functionally, I can not fault the 92. Even though I have 2 of them, bought used, my gripe has been they cost too much for what they are. I almost bought a new one in 1995. A Sig Sauer 226, German made, was less than $50 more new. (Both new guns) That is like comparing a Lincoln to a Pinto.

Glock_17

Other then the obscenely heavy trigger pull the 92FS (which is partly offset with having a short and crisp break) gets out of the box, its one of my favorite full sized pistols. :)

But the size and weight really suit me for rapid fire service pistol disciplines.

FrankenMauser

I don't think the 92S DA trigger pull is all that bad.
...But I've spent nearly 20 years with that P95DC, which has the longest, mushiest, most ridiculous DA trigger pull I never imagined possible.

For a DA trigger pull that no one can make work, try a Hi-Power.;)

pblanc

Other then the obscenely heavy trigger pull the 92FS (which is partly offset with having a short and crisp break) gets out of the box, its one of my favorite full sized pistols.

Fortunately, that is an easy fix since the mainspring on the 92FS/M9 is very easy to swap and takes about 2 minutes (or less).

The stock mainspring is rated at 20lbs. Wolff sells 13, 16, 17, 18, and 19 lb mainsprings and Wilson Combat sells 12, 13, 14, and 16 lb mainsprings. The mainspring that comes stock in a DAO Beretta 92 (so-called D spring) is also very popular, and is rated at 16 lbs.

Brownstone322

One way the safety can be inadvertently moved with the Beretta (and other pistols that have slide-mounted safeties-like Third Generation Smiths, for example) is when you are attempting to clear a "stove-pipe" malfunction by sweeping your support hand across the top of the pistol to dislodge the case. I've had it happen more than once during clearance drills but just knowing it can happen and training for such an eventuality will make the "problem" a moot one.
Maybe I need to fiddle with some self-induced failures. I know some people people insert snap caps into the mag at irregular intervals, then "clear" them rapidly on the go. I still think I'd roll the frame to the left, flat, and pull by the safety levers same as ever.

Brownstone322

Other then the obscenely heavy trigger pull the 92FS (which is partly offset with having a short and crisp break) gets out of the box, its one of my favorite full sized pistols. :)

But the size and weight really suit me for rapid fire service pistol disciplines.
Depends on what you're doing, of course. At the range, you can shoot all day long in single-action mode and not sweat it. The SA trigger is pretty good once you get a feel for the take-up.

And as others have said, you can swap out the mainspring inexpensively. The "D" spring seems to be most popular.

UncleEd

Not saying this is the case but I suspect those who find the 92's DA trigger horrendous have not had the training or experience of using regularly a Smith or Ruger or Colt revolver in DA.

As Bill Wilson has written, because of his earlier training in DA revolver shooting, he never found the DA trigger on a 92 all that troublesome. BUT,
you can easily substitute a "D" spring from Beretta and it'll be a whole new
and easy ballgame. The D spring is used for DAO Beretta 92s.

Now, back to the revolver postings where the really sane shooters lurk. :)

Glock_17

The DA trigger is quite ok with the D spring. Not S&W sixgun ok but not bad at all.
But the SA trigger, still comes in around the 6-8 lb. mark. Its saving grace is that it has a very dry break which feels lighter then it actually is.
If they would have made the pistol with a 3 lbs ish trigger it would have been pretty nearly perfect imo.

It was a sad day when fine European gunmakers started to cater to silly American ideas that one needs a heavy SA trigger to make a gun safe. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JoeSixpack

I don't know the pull weight on the 92, but the D variant spring is a common part swap, the D spring was in the DAO model which was lighter.

the F springs are the heaviest designed for reliability on detonating hard primers (thanks m9 :/ )

They also have a comp trigger but not recommended for a SD gun due to possible ignition problems.

with a D spring and assuming you don't get a gritty trigger I think the SA is pretty good on the 92, Although nothing like a well running 1911..
I just wish the 92 had a shorter DA pull.. I'd never be able to stand the gun if I had to deal with DAO on it, the reset is just too damn long for my taste.

UncleEd

Glock 17,

Boy, are you wrong!

Three pound triggers.

That's a game-boy's trigger.

Not a real street-wise trigger.

mikejonestkd

I bought a 92FS a few years ago and dropped in a Wilson Combat reduced power spring and it really helped the trigger pull.
I have put well over 10K rounds through it with exactly ONE failure to feed.
It goes with me on most range trips, and would be a close second to a good 1911 as an all around semi auto.

Super Blackhawk

Hard to beat the World Defender

A new M9 or 92FS is perfection for me at the range or hone defense.
It's not called " world defender" for no good reason. The more a critic shoots a new Beretta 92FS or M9 the less will be the criticism.
I've owned n shot most of the classic semis n nothing beats my M9 for accuracy,reliability , ease of disassembly to clean...it's just a true classic that has
Endured the test of time.

Glock_17

Glock 17,

Boy, are you wrong!

Three pound triggers.

That's a game-boy's trigger.

Not a real street-wise trigger.
I cant help it that politicians tought that police officers are so hamfisted they could only shoot a revolvers double action trigger safely.
But thats what started that whole trend decades ago.
Now its been so long around that people believe that its needed.
A SA trigger heavier then 3-4 lbs is about as usefull as a accordeon on a hunting trip :)

Model12Win

For a DA trigger pull that no one can make work, try a Hi-Power.

The Browning's Hi-Power is a single-action semi-automatic magazine-fed weapon. It does not have a double-action pull of any kind.

FrankenMauser

Exactly.
I was being facetious. :D

Did you miss the winky "sarcasm" smiley face?
Example: ;)

And I do agree with some of the above statements/arguments about DA revolver practice/experience making a big difference in what you think about a DA semi-auto trigger. Once you run DA revolvers (especially factory-sprung J-frames or SP101s), most DA semis aren't bad at all.

In other news...
I took the 92S back out today as something to keep me entertained, distracted, and/or busy while testing some rifles (and, primarily, waiting for barrels to cool).

The 92S ran like a champ, and I enjoyed the experience. But, man, does it hate my 9mm pet load (w/ 122 gr cast lead). I admit, I was shooting at 50 yards with the standard sights, which is less than ideal. But, I only managed to get two of the ten rounds fired on a 24"x36" target. Only two!
Partly me, I'm sure. Mostly the barrel not liking my load, I suspect.

I'll have to see if it's bullet fit (diameter), or just a lead bullet issue ... and go from there.
Probably a bullet fit issue. It did lead like crazy.