Easy racking 9mm?

chris in va

Which small 9mm is fairly easy to rack/chamber but doesn't have a ton of recoil? Trying to get a head start for an older lady with very little grip strength.

Glock 26? CZ RAMI?

Ryu825

Getting a revolver would solve this issue pretty effectively, and for low recoil, get a 38 sp. if it has to be a semi, then that push pull overhand method works. My sw 1911e's hammer is so darn stiff that I'm scared to rack the slide the normal way while showing it to friends at the range cause if my hands are a little sweaty it feels like it might slip.. Speaking of which, time to start a thread! Anyways yeah, out of what I've tried the xds was easiest on my hands and even the 45 recoiled like a full size steel gun

JimmyR

I can only speak for the FS version, but the Beretta PX4 was an extremely smooth racking weapon. Again, the subcompact is gonna be a totally different animal, but might be worth looking at.

Tomac

Wife is recovering from kidney cancer (now in full remission, thank God) and temporarily lost a good deal of her physical strength so we had to find a replacement for her S&W M&P9c.
After much experimentation we went .380 and discovered she could rack both the SIG P238 and SIG P250sc. Eventually sold the P238 only because neither of us was comfortable with the idea of finding/manipulating the small safety under stress (the P250's DAO obviates the need for a manual safety). Also, inexpensive different-size grip modules are available which allows you to customize the grip for her hand size.
So, I suggest you have her test the P250 in both .380 & 9mm in case the 9mm is still too much for her.
HTH...
Tomac

Kreyzhorse

If she can handle the recoil of a snub nose, a .38 special is the way to go. A Ruger SP packs some heft so that should help recoil.

kcub

I just picked up a Browning BDA .380 yesterday. Not only is the slide easy to rack, you can cock the hammer first making it even easier. Plus it has a light trigger, light recoil, and holds 13 + 1 rounds.

On the downside it is a .380 and it has a fairly thick grip.

I'm going to try it on my 79 year old mom who can only rack a Walther PP .22 LR.

Robk

Easiest 9mm to rack the slide in my safe is a RIA 1911. Also easy on recoil as it is an all steel pistol.

jaughtman

My wife has the same issue.....

Being the petite thing she is. The only semi-auto I have that she can work with regularity is a Glock (19 in this case). She LOVES shooting the P7 and BHP, but I have to manipulate both for her. On the other hand, that is the reason she recently got a SW 19.....

J

Yokoman

glock 19

I agree that the Glock 19 is very easy to rack. I was in the same situation with my wife, she can rack that slide very easy

lee n. field

Which small 9mm is fairly easy to rack/chamber but doesn't have a ton of recoil? Trying to get a head start for an older lady with very little grip strength.

Of what I have or have shot, the Glock 19 is the easiest to rack.

(That would be gen 3. Gen 4 have a completely different recoil spring assembly. I've never handled one.)

JNad

I know a particular lady whom I helped find a pistol landed on the Walther PK380. She is in her 60's and the biggest issue for her was racking any slide. That one worked for her. It was actually easier to rack than the SIG 238.

The easy racking slide is really the only good thing I have to say about the gun, but she really likes it, so it doesn't matter what I think.

So as far as racking the slide, I can do it with two fingers. So, it is pretty easy to rack.

Hal

Getting a revolver would solve this issue pretty effectively
Huh?
How so?

Pulling a D/A trigger on a revolver can be every bit as difficult for someone with hand problems as racking a slide. Often more so.

Plus, with a revolver. you have to contend with the difficulty at the worst possible time - when racking the slide, you're just getting the gun ready to shoot.
When working the D/A trigger, you're actually going through the entire shooting process.

I happen to have RA flare ups from time to time which make it difficult to shoot.
Believe me, a D/A revolver (or D/A semi auto for that matter)is the absolute last thing I'd reach for.

Oops - missed giving the OP an answer...
Easy racking 9mm?

Firestar M43.
They aren't made any more and you might have some trouble finding a good one used.
They also weren't the best made gun going either - but - they do have some real good points.
The M43 single stack is all steel and has a lot of heft to it.
It's roughly the size of a Walther PPK/s, but, has a wider back strap so it's much softer on the web of the hand during recoil.
The slide is also larger and has a more generous size to grip.

How they did the trigger/hammer spring, is beyond me. The hammer spring is extremely light and thumbing back the hammer requires no effort at all.
That, and the generous size of the slide and the heft of the pistol, make it very easy to rack the slide.

Last edited:

Dragline45

I got to try an SR9c a while back, thought it was very soft shooting and easy to manipulate.

I couldn't disagree more. The SR9C has a dual recoil spring and is one of the heaviest slides to rack I have ever felt. Even after a thousand rounds through mine it was still extremely heavy.

My vote would be a Sig 239. As with all DA/SA guns you can cock the hammer first if you want before racking and it makes it very easy. It is also a very soft shooting gun and extremely accurate to boot.

Garycw

I would suggest a Sig 938 and leave cocked & locked. Then all she has to do is push safety down. This is assuming its for cc or home protection only.

Microgunner

I recently purchased a Boberg XR9-S and not only is this pistol small, rated for +P ammo with a 7+1 capacity, the slide is ridiculously easy to rack.
A 6 year old wouldn't have a problem racking it.
This is due to the rotating barrel locking system and longer 3.35" barrel facilitated by the Boberg's unique loading system and it's very lightweight recoil sping which is not used to control recoil but only to return the slide into battery.
The whole system also reduces felt recoil considerably.
I've never handled a sub-compact 9mm pistol this easy to use.

BobergXR9-S001_zps5b531e77.jpg

Last edited: