easily removing permanent marker from plastic cartridge boxes...

as I've built up my brass supply over this last year, I've run across calibers that either had ammo boxes of different colors, or ones that would be difficult to replace, & I buy all new ones ( my OCD goes crazy if I have 3 colors of plastic ammo boxes for the same gun )

on my boxes I usually write with a permanent marker the caliber on one end, & use masking tape to write all the load info on the cover... removing permanent marker from the smooth surface boxes just required a little elbow grease, but on the crinkle or pebble finish boxes it's always been much tougher to remove enough of the original writing, that they could easily be reused...

I tried goo gone, & it seemed to work "OK", but the other night I gave a box a shot with Triflow spray lubricant, & let it sit for 15-20 seconds, & hit it with a worn out green scotch brite pad, & the writing came off with very little effort... I'm sure WD-40 or any other similar product would work as well...

just thought I'd share...

anyone else have any of those kind of tips, I'd like to hear them... Thanks

I use the "Industrial" Sharpie brand, so they don't rub off the smooth boxe4s so easily... I've not tried them with nail polish remover... but would also be concerned about the soft plastic they use in hinged ammo boxes ???

wogpotter

See if you can find some "PEC-12" cleaner. It'll rip the stripes off a zebra!:eek:
It is also specifically designed to remove all "magic marker".

MEATSAW

Permanent marker (like Sharpies) is easily removed with isopropyl alcohol. Take a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol and it instantly comes off regardless of what material the marker was on.

Bart B.

Goo Gone.

Naptha (lighter fluid).

Scouring powder from under your kitchen sink on a damp rag or on a wet buffing tip in your Dremel Moto Tool.

F. Guffey

Again, WD-40.

Remember, if it moves and is not supposed to use duck tape.

Remember, it is is supposed to move and does not use WD-40.

F. Guffey

Dan Newberry

Hoppes 9

I didn't test this yet... but my son says Hoppes 9 dissolves the Sharpie marker on contact.

Someone let me know if you try that. :)

Dan

willr

Try straight grain alcohol -- i.e. vodka. I used to use straight grain acohol to clean transparent sheets for use on an overhead projector where I had used a sharpie to write. (No comments about a bad use of vodka.)
willr

Sport45

The solvent in most ink is alcohol. The suggestions of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) or ethanol (grain or denatured) are spot-on and won't hurt the plastic.

kilimanjaro

Me, I just open the box to see what caliber it is, it's stamped right on the cartridges.

The load data goes in my load book, the box is numbered and all is cross-referenced and dated.