Easiest Semi-Auto to Maintain

meat

In your opinion, what is the easiest semi-auto to maintain/clean? Second, what is the easiest one to repair or have repaired?
Thanks in advance for the responses.

hsg2001

I've never cleaned my Glock 17. Five months of ownership (bought it new), more than 1000 rounds through it.

No problems. I don't recommend the above practice. A person should probably clean their firearms regularly.

9x19

Glock is the answer to most questions. :p

Easiest to field strip; easiest to detail strip; and the easiest to repair as there are NO hand-fit parts; alos easiest to have repaired, especially if you go to a GSSF match where Glock has armorers who will examine and fix anything short of a new frame, barrel or slide, on site, while you wait... for FREE.

Zahnster

I think my High Power is pretty simple to strip and clean. Don't like to put more than a few 100 rounds through it between cleanings.(Try to clean it after every use)

CZ_

Sig is the easiest for me to FIELD STRIP.

For detail stripping, repair, and maintanance, GLOCK wins hands down.

OF

My USP and the Glock are pretty much tied. I only clean the HK when it's so full of crud I can watch the slide cycling. Bang! Ker-chunk. Bang! Ker-chunk. ;)

- Gabe

FlyinGN

I know my Alchemy arms is easy as heck and its exactly like a Glock.. Ill vote for Glock too

Frank

Last edited:

archer215

its gotta be glock for me too my g23 has become quite filthy and never malfunctioned and its by far the easiest to feild strip and clean:D

Mad Man

In your opinion, what is the easiest semi-auto to maintain/clean?

Short answer: Browning Hi-Power, Sig P-22x series, and Beretta 92.

While I can disassemble a Glock with my eyes closed, I find a lot of my friends have trouble with holding it correctly (thumb on backstrap, fingers over the top of the slide) and pulling it back just far enough to engage the take-down lever without resetting the trigger safety. It is very ackward for a novice.

The usual response by some is that people should take the time for more training and become intimately familiar with their gun, but not everyone lives, eats, breathes, and sleeps guns. Just because I drive a lot doesn't mean I know how to take apart my car. Nor do I even like to change the oil, even though I can do that myself.

The beauty of the Hi-Power and the Sigs is that the slide can be locked back in order to engage the take-down lever. They don't require much handstrength or dexterity, since the person does not have to counter-act the tension of the recoil spring while engaging the take-down lever.

The Berettas don't even require the slide to be pulled back -- just turn the lever 90 degrees and pull the slide off the frame.

All three guns can, if need be, disassembled using one hand. Glocks, 1911s, HKs, etc., cannot.

In addition to it's thin grip, this is one reason I recommend the Hi Power to new shooters with small hands. It doesn't hurt that the weight of the Hi-Power easily dampens the recoil of a 9mm, but that's another topic.