EABCO 6mmBR Norma

hounddawg

Howis the ejection stag? I put a 6BR on a Savage 12 repeater action and had to mod the ejector pin mod for reliable ejection

Very nice groups BTW

@Ed308 - you will get as good or better barrel life out of a 6BR than you will the 6.5CM. My .260 Rems go south around 2500 rounds, my 6 BR's get over 3K

stagpanther

Shot like an absolute dream. Honestly, very impressed. It was amazing.
For 6-8 rounds, after you laid copper down with the first 5 rounds.
Then it started balling up copper like nothing you've ever seen, and accuracy/precision went straight to hell.

It was good for basically 6 rounds, after you cleaned the ever-loving-bejersurs out of it and stripped all copper, and then laid down new copper with 4-5 rounds that were 'wasted'.

Best case, you got about 13 rounds out of it, and the first 4-5 were just to lay the groundwork.
I get a bit of a chuckle saying so--but FrankenMauser's comment is 100% spot-on correct and is exactly what I'm experiencing--even after all the work and attempts at lapping the barrel. I've done several 10 shot groups and just as FM says I'll get 6 pretty good impacts and then the shots start walking. But after just those 10 shots--a look at the bore reveals a nightmare--balling up wads of residue and embedded "skid marks" is no exaggeration.

stagpanther

Howis the ejection stag? I put a 6BR on a Savage 12 repeater action and had to mod the ejector pin mod for reliable ejection

Very nice groups BTW
Thanks--you're right, the savage bolt head does tend to be "soft" on ejections unless I work the bolt with some speed, I suspect this has a bit more to do with how well the rim is gripped by the notorious savage "mini extractor" which is one of the worst design features of their bolts IMO. The BR extractor groove is pretty deep.

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Unfortunately, the barrel is dirty enough that it doesn't look as bad. But isn't dirty enough to have the balled up copper.
I remember having a mechanical problem with the rifle, that pushed me over the edge. I think I only had 3 rounds through it, from "squeaky clean", when I gave up, went home, and pulled the barrel.

Images are a bit wide, but I am uploading full-size as long as they're within the size limit.

I grabbed a photo every 4" or so, from leade to just inside the crown.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIN_20220605_16_29_12_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220605_16_29_12_Pro.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 60
  • WIN_20220605_16_30_06_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220605_16_30_06_Pro.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 58
  • WIN_20220605_16_30_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220605_16_30_39_Pro.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 58

FrankenMauser

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIN_20220605_16_32_48_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220605_16_32_48_Pro.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 58
  • WIN_20220605_16_32_15_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220605_16_32_15_Pro.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 54
  • WIN_20220605_16_31_31_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220605_16_31_31_Pro.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 58

stagpanther

That's what mine looks like after extensive cleaning for a couple of hours--that's immaculate compared to mine after firing just a dozen cartridges.

Longshot4

I admire your tool (camera). Here in Michigan we use a broom to finish cement so we don't loose traction in the winters snow... I have never seen such a poor example of a rifle bore. Dump it. My old way (like me) is when cleaning the bore. If the patch snags I will try some JB compound for at least 50-100 times. before i even shoot it. My Savage was like that. I still wasn't satisficed so I shot some of those lapping bullets in it. Then cleaned it real good and used JB again. That 26" med. heavy tube was nise and slick to the patch. 6mm CR shoots 95gr. sst real nice. Well about .5 ave. @ 100 Yds. I need to get more testing on the 105s... One thing about that savage I hate is the Tupperware stock.

Scorch

Frankenmauser, that is an excellent example of why I don’t own Savage rifles. Savage drills the barrels and then button rifles them (no honing), leaving all the tooling marks to be ironed out by the rifling button. Only problem is, that’s not what happens. The tooling marks in the grooves get ironed out a little bit, but not completely, and the tops of the lands are just flat ugly. This gives a barrel that shoots pretty good for a dozen or so shots, then starts scattering shots.

stagpanther

Only problem is, that’s not what happens. The tooling marks in the grooves get ironed out a little bit, but not completely, and the tops of the lands are just flat ugly. This gives a barrel that shoots pretty good for a dozen or so shots, then starts scattering shots.
I agree--but there is yet even a difference between the EABCO and Savage barrels--the Savages at least are pretty uniform in their degree of chatter all the way down the bore in my experience, so when they "foul-in" it is pretty uniform. My EABCO barrels appear to be quite uneven in the degree of chatter down the bore, I can't say for sure but I'm guess the diameter varies as well, in my experience they are more brutal in tearing at the jacket than savages are.

ed308

I guess milage varies when it comes to Savage barrels. I have two Savage barrels in .308 and 6.5 CM purchased in the past five years. I’ve not inspected them with a bore scope. But I’ve put hundreds of rounds through them and they’ve always printed 1/2” groups at 100 yards. After initially cleaning a new barrel, I usually only clean a barrel when I notice accuracy opening up. For the price I’ve paid for those rifles, they been good shooters.

stagpanther

I guess milage varies when it comes to Savage barrels. I have two Savage barrels in .308 and 6.5 CM purchased in the past five years. I’ve not inspected them with a bore scope. But I’ve put hundreds of rounds through them and they’ve always printed 1/2” groups at 100 yards. After initially cleaning a new barrel, I usually only clean a barrel when I notice accuracy opening up. For the price I’ve paid for those rifles, they been good shooters.
That's been my experience with most of my savage barrels as well (though I would say consistently sub MOA and not "always" .5)--though I wouldn't rely on one for continuous match use.

ed308

My thoughts too. I’m looking forward to seeing what my Tikka T3X Tac A1 can do. Had hope to test it next week. But my return trip from visiting family is delayed after getting exposed to Covid from a family member who got it on a cruise. Wife told me to stay another week. So I said, yes honey. Almost brought that rifle on my trip too. I guess the beach will have to do for now.