During the last two shortages..What powders have you discovered?

Nick_C_S

Yep, it's exactly 20,000 rounds.

I bought 4 "pounds" (actually 12oz containers) of N100. I used about 1-1/2 pounds doing work ups and extensive testing, which included actual competition use in 38 Special. Great stuff.

I still have 2-1/2 containers remaining. Right now, the only thing I load with it is bunny fart 200 LSWC's (barely 600 f/s) for my pure target 1911 - a 1984 Colt 'Series 80' with a 12lb recoil spring (and they barely eject). 3.0 grains, and it is the only ammo I feed my 32 year old 1911. It's had a long life (probably 30k rounds) so it only gets light fodder these days.

But I have done work ups with N100 for 38 & 44 Spl, and 45 ACP. I have good recipes at the ready. But right now, I'm exhausting my supply of Bullseye first. The only reason why B'eye doesn't get the call for the bunny fart 45's is because it's such a light load, that Bullseye is actually too slow for it. Yes, too slow - leaves behind bunches of unburnt powder, etc. N100 is really fast stuff.

Anyway, once the B'eye is gone, the N100 will be used a lot. But wait, there's more . . .

Nitro 100 is also on my "cut list." When the remaining 2.5 container's worth is gone, I won't get more. My fast powder of choice is Vihtavuori N-310 (and yes, I've done all the same work ups with it as the N100). Runs super clean, super consistent, meters fantastic, and smells really good when it burns :p.

I was up to 13 powders; but there's only 4 I will purchase moving forward. Trying to simplify things - but I suppose that's all for another post.

sawdustdad

You're right, Nick. I should have said 5 or 6 (12oz) containers of Nitro 100 on hand. Keep forgetting that nuance...

Keeping this thread on track, I'll mention one more powder that I bought out of semi-desperation. W231. Funny thing, I had never loaded with that before. When I joined a local indoor gun range (have been a member of a large outdoor range since 1983) I complained to them about the powder shortage. The owner sold me a lb of HP-38 out of his private stash at his cost ($22) to encourage me to spend the $450 annual fee to join. I guess that rates as the most expensive powder I've ever purchased, 'cause I joined the club. :D

Nick_C_S

The owner sold me a lb of HP-38 out of his private stash at his cost ($22) to encourage me to spend the $450 annual fee to join. I guess that rates as the most expensive powder I've ever purchased, 'cause I joined the club.

Good business person - win-win. I love capitalism.

WVMountaineer

None.

Experimented & developed all my hand-loadings long before the 2000s component shortages began. Once all my recipes were cataloged. At the time it was cheaper__ much cheaper than today component prices to buy large discounted quantities (8 lbs or more) of powder per shipping order on the Net and across State Lines. Thus eliminating this States Sales Tax. Same theroy apply's to my primer purchases too. What I saved in product costs and Sales Tax paid both the Hazmat and shipping charges and too left a few Alexander Hamilton's in my wallet besides.

Never have gotten to the point of "I'm out of this or that. I planed long in advance not to be affected by what y'll are now experiencing. Yup!! always been one of those self-reliant characters.

This times 2. However, I went on an AR binge during the scare and somewhat discovered Ramshot TAC in the 55 grain loads. The more popular stuff was unavailable. I'm glad it was. TAC is in my opinion, the most under rated, least popular load for the 55 grain 5.56. It hums and, it has been accurate in all 4 of my AR's. The closer to published max's, the better it shoots. I didn't go over published loads, as 10 shot groups, near or at max, off of bags showed way less than MOA in all my AR's. I love it. God Bless