Durable 38 special on a budget.

rantingredneck

Any used Smith or Ruger.

Last Ruger SP101 I bought I got for 375.00 out the door at the local gun shop. It was like new in box. I've also bought used GP100's for 380-400 OTD, just a little higher than your price range in your OP.

Don't know what others are seeing in other areas of the country, but lately around here Ruger "Six" prices are going up. Usually you can get SP's and GP's cheaper it seems. I wish it wasn't so because I'd like to have a nice Speed Six. Every one I see around here is priced out of my comfort zone for a used gun.

roaddog28

I suggest either one of these. The first one is a S&W model 10 4 inch heavy barrel 38 special. Second one is a Ruger Police Service Six 4 in 357 magnum.
Either one can be had for about $350.
Good luck,
Howard
model10-14a.jpg

RugerServiceSix.jpg

KyJim

Agree on the used Smith and Wesson or Ruger. The only downside on the SW revolvers at J&G is that they are double action only. I like the option to shoot single action. Buds has some police trade-in Model 10s under $300 but look at the gun auction sites as well (you can see the pics of the actual gun you are buying at the auction sites).

raftman

I took a look at the S&W trade-ins on J&G. Seems they're all DAO, I figure if I'm to go DAO, it better be a decent trigger... any word on how good the triggers actually are on these?

8shot357

I took a look at the S&W trade-ins on J&G. Seems they're all DAO, I figure if I'm to go DAO, it better be a decent trigger... any word on how good the triggers actually are on these?

Sorry if this is an Internet answer, but seem's everybody that has one says they are just about the best shooting guns, and most people usually talk about shooting DA.

That, and you could have it worked on ya-know. Also, J&G has reasonable shipping cost's.

8shot357

Check out Bud's they have used .38s for a nice price. I think they are DA/SA.

$269 Delivered Call them up, the picture shows a M10 with a hammer exposed

warningshot

I'd go for a working Used DoubleActionOnly Smith or Rugly the first time, so as to not have to pay the little man in the big brown truck money to haul away my DeadOnArrival after market gambler's special the second time.

DG45

I don't get the appeal of the DAO.

I think the extra money you'd have to pay for a Double Action revolver (one that you can cock and fire single action OR just pull the trigger and fire double action) would be well worth the cost.

There are many shooting scenarios where accuracy trumps all, and for most shooters, maximum accuracy is going to depend on a pre-cocked hammer and a single action trigger.

However, there are other scenarios- for example, lets say a vicious dog is charging you and you've aimed, fired, and MISSED, where now, pointing and shooting the rest of your cylinder as fast as you can pull the trigger in double action mode (aka spray and pray) becomes the order of the day.

If your gun allows you to shoot in either single action or double action mode, you get the best of both worlds. You can spray and pray with the best of the DAO's, but you can also acheive outstanding accuracy using single action(at least most people can who shoot 4" or longer-barreled 38 Specials).

MLeake

Or you can actually practice DA fire... I have no trouble with head shots on silhouettes at 7yds with a 442.

kraigwy

I think the most durable 38 for the money is like others mentioned, the trade in Model 64s. The suckers are smooth, and will take your +Ps.

I don't like the DOA, though 99% of my shooting is double action. It's don't take much to convert them back to DA/SA. New hammer, trigger or both.

I got one and it turned out to be my main competition gun. Those puppys are fast..............guess its a "K" frame thing.

CajunBass

Colt seemed to make a few guns that have stood the test of time.

Official Police 38. Made in 1939. ($360.00)

100_0266.jpg

Official Police 38. Made in 1950 ($250.00)

100_0065.jpg

Official Police MK III Made in 1971 ($375.00)

100_0277.jpg

All of those were purchased in the last year. Two of them in the last few months. You can find Smith & Wesson's in the same price range. I've got a few but they'd been pretty well covered.

The point, of course is, if you CAN'T find a good quality 38 for $375.00 or less, you're just not looking.

woad_yurt

How about this? It's my old Model 10 that's +P with no MIM, no lock, and no issues. I'm selling these days. PM sent.

Oh yeah, it shoots right to POA and the trigger feels like ice on teflon!

SWModel1001.jpg

federali

Plentiful Model 10s

There was a time when most of the uniformed cops carried Model 10s. I used to see recently retired cops selling their Model 10s to Zirmo's, a NY gun dealer, for $20.00 flat, regardless of condition. Unfortunately, the supply of Model 10s has dried up but the gun certainly fits your specifications.