Durable 38 special on a budget.

raftman

Looking to add a revolver to the collection. Haven't had one for some time. Basically, I am looking for a durable 38 special revolver that's +P rated (wouldn't object to a .357 either, I suppose). Barrel length 4 inches or shorter, basically will be something of a beater rather than a CCW, and under $375; used is acceptable. What would be the best bet given that criteria?

Bernie Lomax

Ruger, hands down. You can probably find a good used Ruger for what your willing to spend, and they're some of the most durable guns around.

TheNocturnus

Check out the Armscor 200 and 206. I own both, and never had a hiccup with them.

I agree with you egor20. I have the 206 and so far it has run flawlessly. Hated the stock grips though, had to add some presentation rubber grips to it.

raftman

I'm aware of the Armscor 206, and it doesn't seem like a bad option other than I am pretty sure it's not +P rated. But then, I am not sure on how essential that should really be.

Last edited:

BillCA

If you're okay with a "previously owned" gun, then you can probably find some "cosmetically challenged" S&W and Ruger revolvers out there.

There are many "night stand" model 10's out there which come back into circulation as the owners die off and their spouses get rid of the guns. Look for a gun that has some cosmetic flaws but shows few signs of being fired.

You can often find an ugly-finished S&W Model 15 with just a little wear on it and make it prettier with some elbow grease and a little sweat.
M67_1673GL.jpg

In this case, the stainless Model 67 above had a badly scratched left side which I polished out. The dealer sold it to me for under $300. A friend bough a blued Model 15 like the one above that was kept in a sock drawer near a bathroom for 20 years. Lots of little rust "freckles" on it and some larger rust spots on the grip. 98% removed with just a little work. And some quick cold blue it looks fairly good. All for just $235. With S&W steel revolvers you can use +P on any with the model number stamped on the frame (post-1956).

Don't overlook an older Ruger Security Six either. If the gun is in good mechanical shape it's generally a good buy. These were Ruger's first double action wheelguns and they kept them close to the K-Frame size for marketing reasons. These make excellent home defense guns. The Speed Six and Service Six were made at the same time and generally is a fixed-sight model.

Ruger_Sec_6_1.jpg

RsqVet

Pawn shop ruger..... Maybe a smith but they are often a little higher.

Call me crazy but I would take the worst ruger out there over the new import guns mentioned. Ruger has awesome customer service and it is not unheard of for folks to get guns basically rebuilt by them very reasonably.

8shot357

OP

Durable 38 special on a budget.

Looking to add a revolver to the collection. Haven't had one for some time. Basically, I am looking for a durable 38 special revolver that's +P rated (wouldn't object to a .357 either, I suppose). Barrel length 4 inches or shorter, basically will be something of a beater rather than a CCW, and under $375; used is acceptable. What would be the best bet given that criteria?

Maybe an M10, or an M10. they'll hold up. trust me, I learned that on the Internet.:D

Glenn Dee

Any used S&W Model 10. Comes in 2,3,4,5" barrel. Tried and true proven over many years. If possible get a heavy barrel 3"... or a 4". Any heavy barrel will handle +P ammo without a problem.

And used rugers are good too. Though a bit heavier, and a lot of sharp edges.

I'd advise to stay away from some of the brands mentioned for $350.00 or less new... you get what you pay for.

spacecoast

As already recommended, there are a LOT of used S&W Model 10s or equivalent stainless Model 64s available. I picked up this pair of Model 64s with 4" heavy barrels (both dating from the mid-80s) for $200 each about 18 months ago.

twin64s.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Look for a used Ruger or S&W. Both make great guns and they have outstanding customer service. Don't waste your money on any thing else.

mj246

Another vote for a used S&W model 10 or 64 police trade-in. The new stock should be +p rated if I am not mistaken, and one in decent-good condition would still fit in your price range and be a great addition to any collection.

SIGSHR

The Ruger Security Six gets my vote, you can fire 38s out of it to your heart's content. First runner up is the Colt Official Police in a 38 Special only revolver.

kristop64089

Any of the Ruger "Sixes". Personally, I like the Police Six round butt & fixed sights but, any of them are good to go.
After that, any Smith would be great (model 10's are excellent a affordable),

Any of the Pre Taurus Rossis seem to be ok. I have an old Rossi #67(?) and it has never hiccuped once. The fit and finish looks like it was done by the School of the Blind, but it locks up tight, and shoots straight.