dry-firing to smooth trigger: myth???

Doug 29

Talk about wading through barnyard horse manure! What you're trying to do is reach the skill level required to raise a double action revolver and fire an accurate aimed shot. Do I think that dry firing smooth's a revolver's action? YES! Does it also strengthen your hand and fingers? YES! They go hand in hand. So, forget that gunsmith and the "action" job. Ed McGivern did it the "Old-Fashioned" way! So can you! Get a copy of Ed's book, "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting"! Get the information from the author, himself. And, they had VERY talented gunsmith's in Ed's day. He still stuck to stock revolvers.

mikey357

Navaho, Navaho, Navaho...maybe I was WRONG for assuming everyone KNEW what I thought was OBVIOUS, so I'll go ahead and state it now, "For the Record"...the MAXIMAL improvement that you will EVER experience from "Dryfiring" a revolver will occur between when the revolver is ABSOLUTELY NEW, just "Out of the Box" and somewhere around 1,200-3,000 "snaps"...this ASSUMES one is starting with a NEW revolver!!! Since YOUR Model 686 is THREE YEARS OLD and, one can assume, HAS been shot(and dryfired) some ALREADY, I am NOT surprised that you couldn't detect much-if any-improvement!!! This sounds expensive, but...it WILL give you an EXCUSE for buying another gun, so...try this exact, same procedure with you next NEW revolver...I'll bet you the price of a CASE of .38 special ammunition that, if you are HONEST about it, it WILL make a perceivable difference in the "smoothness" of the revolver's action!!! Care to try???....mikey357 p.s.-I think it's important to realize that the level of improvement that you can obtain in the revolver's "smoothness" thru "dryfiring" is never likely to be the same as you'd get from having a GOOD "action job" done by a professional...but it IS an improvement, nonetheless...sometimes a very MARKED improvement, but ALWAYS worthwhile...

[Edited by mikey357 on 01-13-2001 at 04:40 PM]

old hawk

i had just gotten done cleaning the crap outta my 1977 k17 and polishing it out with 600 grit and oil,cleaned it out ,reoiled with outers gun oil,notable diff from now vs before on both pulls,also cleaned up a bit on the inner frame wall with the 600 and oil wrapped on a stone end to kill that gritty feeling.muchhhhhhh better now.now if can just get the foot to come in just a touch late on entering the cylinder notch ill be happy.no lines on it but a slight trace tho that makes me wanna cure it now before later...

navaho

mikey357, mike357, mikey357...,
maybe I was WRONG for assuming everyone KNEW what I thought was OBVIOUS, so I'll go ahead and state it now. Before SHOUTING, make sure you read the ENTIRE POST before you criticize. That way you won't EMBARRASS YOURSELF in public.

It doesn't matter that my 686 wasn't NIB because the gun I was comparing it to (the 638 with 200 trigger pulls, *lifetime*) was (for all intents and purposes) NIB.

Ie, I'm comparing the trigger pulls of a 200-snap-638 with a 5000-or-more-snap-686. And they feel identical.

It doesn't matter that the 638 is three years old, because I barely fired it.

I really wanted there to be an improvement with all the dry-firing of the 686, but there wasn't.

So if you are HONEST about your offer of the price of a case of a .38 Spl ammo, please write a check for that amount and send it to the NRA-ILA.

Navaho out.

mikey357

Navaho-yeah, I read the WHOLE thing...I think you are comparing Apples to Oranges, tho'...the L-frame lockwork is powered by a leaf spring, whereas the J-frame has a coil mainspring...one was "used", the other PRACTICALLY NEW...they "feel" quite a bit different, at least to the "educated trigger finger"! As far as the ILA goes, they get a check or two from me every year....WONDERFUL charity!!! My "challenge" still stands...go out and pick up a new revolver-S&W, Ruger, Taurus-and "dry fire" the HECK out of it...and, if you're still honestly NOT CONVINCED that the DA trigger pull is smoother than when you started, I'll buy you a case of .38 special ammo!!!....mikey357

WESHOOT2

After 10,000+ 'snaps' with my stainless Rugers the trigger action feels smoother.
(I've shot alot of TV doing this; wife finally made me stop it...LOL)