Dropped gun fires and kills officer.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I'd like to know the make and model of the gun he dropped... and details if it was his gun or a suspects.

This is freakish. Modern guns just don't do this. :(

CheapSeats

How dare you post an article suggesting that well trained people, extremely familiar with firearms safety, and "meticulous" might have an accident with a firearm?

No, truthfully...I am sad for this man's family.

But, the gun grabbers will sweep this under the rug but wave flags about the boy killed in the GA gun show.

Blackhawk

:( Really sad about this, as in any accidental death or injury situation.
Modern guns just don't do this.
They can if they're modified improperly, certain parts are worn out, etc. Any gun that stores hammer energy, such as Glocks, cocked SAs, etc., can. A worn sear or trigger block catch can "let go" as the result of a high g impact on a hard surface.

About the only guns I'd agree "can't" do this are true DAOs or uncocked DA/SAs. Glocks are always half cocked if a round is chambered so if the trigger block "fails," a discharge is a strong possibility.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Reports always get it right?

I'm hoping there is some more to this story... Dude can not have just dropped his sidearm and gets blasted. Just not right. His brother and fellow officer was killed LOD 11 months prior.

The Lord must want these guys badly.
How crazy is that.
What kind of heaters to these guys pack?

Coronach

I wonder if he dropped it and tried to catch it, getting his finger inside the triggerguard and causing the weapon to discharge. Or, possibly it dropped and the trigger snagged on other gear. Or, the firearm was flawed.

In any event, it is tragic. :(

Mike

Kaylee

oh dear... poor thing.... :(

You know.... even with the likely weapon -- glock pistol (just 'cause they're the most common, I'm not bashing 'em I promise :p) -- there's no reason to have the sidearm out of the holster, jah? Short of doing something TRULY stupid, like playing "spin the pistol" tricks with a Glock. :eek:

Actually... rereading it.... I'm inclined to wonder if the weapon wasn't dropped AFTER the shot, if you catch my meaning.

Don't LEOs have a rather spooky suicide rate?

-K

GunsnRovers

out of the LA Times

On page B3 (California section), they have the story.
LOS ANGELES
Veteran Officer Killed in Freak Firearm Accident Tragedy: He was crossing the San Fernando police station parking lot when he dropped his gun and it fired. An investigation is underway.

By ANDREW BLANKSTEIN and MANUEL GAMIZ JR., TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A San Fernando police officer was killed Wednesday when he accidentally dropped his service pistol and it discharged, the bullet striking him in the head, authorities said.

Jesse Kenneth Paderez, 46, of Sylmar, a 10-year veteran of the San Fernando Police Department, had apparently been carrying his holstered .45-caliber gun in his hands as he walked through the department parking lot early Wednesday, police said.

Paderez had stopped at the station about 6:45 a.m. to pick up a patrol car and was scheduled to attend a training class on radar use later that morning, Lt. Mike Langston said. "The gun was secured in the holster but he was carrying it in his hands, most likely along with other items," Langston said. "The hammer of the gun struck the ground when it dropped and discharged. We believe it was a freak accident."

Langston said police are investigating how the firearm discharged and whether safety mechanisms worked properly.

Chief Anthony Alba said an investigation by Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives resulted in a preliminary determination that the death was accidental. "It's something that shouldn't happen but could happen," said Alba, who took over the 39-officer department in May. "But it all hurts the same."

Paderez was the third officer in the department's 91-year history to die in the line of duty, police said.

Paderez had seven sisters and five brothers. Officers and a sister described him as a dedicated officer who was an avid runner and relished coaching and mentoring young people.

"He was highly dedicated to children and working with them meant a lot to him" said Jeri Arriaga, a sister and a retired Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy. "It's like losing half of your heart."

Arriaga said several family members have entered law enforcement. One brother, Ernesto, worked for the Los Angeles Police Department but died 11 years ago in a traffic accident, Arriaga and Langston said.

At the San Fernando Police Station, the mood was somber. Officer Al Martinez said he was stunned by his friend's death. "He was always very cautious," Martinez said.
It's a tragedy.

Jeff

croyance

The gun was secured in the holster but he was carrying it in his hands
Now it was 6:45 AM, he has other things in his hands, and he was about to go to class. :confused: If you are about to carry a bunch of stuff, isn't the easiest way to carry your holstered gun on your belt?
Also, doesn't California's drop test include dropping a gun on it's cocked hammer from a height of 20 feet? Maybe his had a worn sear. Did LEO firearm models even have to pass this "safety" test?
If is was a 1911, don't most LEO holsters for it have that strap blocking a hammer fall? If it wasn't, didn't the inertial firing pin safety, trigger safety, and trigger block fail? If so, why is there no mention of examination of the gun, and possible action against the manufacturer? After all, with all those safeties failing, it either had worn parts, bad modifications, or was defective.
With worn parts and perhaps faulty modifications, is the department protecting itself? Many departments have armourers that do maintenence checks, and maybe did modifications on the side. Maybe they don't want to be sued by the family.
I'm with Kaylee on this one.
Not to belittle the dead, but does dropping your sidearm constitute death "in the line of duty"?

PKAY

The drop test is from a height of 3 feet and is done butt first (on the hammer end), then muzzle first, and then slide or top strap first. The freakin' gun is worthless when it's all over. Something doesn't compute here.

GunGeek

How dare you post an article suggesting that well trained people, extremely familiar with firearms safety, and "meticulous" might have an accident with a firearm?

Not to be rude to our LEO friends, but many LEOs do not fall into the above catagory. We had 2 officers in the range last night who fell into the "I have to qual this weekend and I haven't shot in 6 months, so I'm going to fire 50 rounds." group, get them all the time. Yes we also have a group that comes in every sunday to practice. Being a cop does not make you "extremely familiar" with guns. Some are, some arn't!

DMK

"The gun was secured in the holster but he was carrying it in his hands, most likely along with other items,"

Carrying a *loaded* firearm in your hands, likely along with other things is not what somebody well trained and extremely familiar with firearms safety would (should) do.

I'm extremely sorry that this man died, but according to the info presented here, this is a classic example of a *negligent* discharge, regardless of the condition of the pistol. Either carry it loaded in a properly worn holster or unload the da*m thing!

Geeze, whatever happened to common sense these days?

This is no different from the man that shot the kid in Georgia except that he killed himself instead of somebody else.

ronin308

Blackhawk-

Any gun that stores hammer energy, such as Glocks, cocked SAs, etc., can. A worn sear or trigger block catch can "let go" as the result of a high g impact on a hard surface.

I'm not an authority on the "plastic fantastic" but I think that Glocks (and other striker fired guns) are cocked by the trigger. When you take up the slack in a Glock trigger you are pulling the striker backwards. When the trigger breaks the striker flies forward.

Ledbetter

Info from Jouster.com

This is under discussion on the Gun Talk board. It seems the firearm in question is a Sig in .45.

Apparently, it is safe to manually decock the 9mm model, by squeezing the trigger as you lower the hammer with your thumb. The internal safety is engaged and the hammer does not rest on the firing pin.

However, unless you use the decocker lever on the .45 model, the internal safety DOES NOT engage. The hammer lowers all the way down.

Apparently this is not the first accident to result. An accident investigator posting under the name Dan Shapiro related this information. See Gun Talk at www.jouster.com for the full thread.

GunGeek

ronin, no a glocks striker is already cocked, same as a 1911. That is why you can not dry fire the gun twice in a row.

Remember, SA is only unsafe if you can see the hammer! That is why the military made soldiers carry 1911's Cond3 and M16s Cond1. (sarcasm off)