Double Stack Hammer Fired DA/SA .45

1972RedNeck

Looking to add another pistol to my collection. Want a double stack, hammer fired, DA/SA .45 ACP. No safety, decocker only.

Current production models I have found are:

FN FNX45
Beretta PX4
HK 45

From what I can find, the HK and Beretta are easily convertible to decocker only. Not sure about the FNX45.

Discontinued models I have found are:

CZ 97BD
Sig P227

Any other I am missing?

Which would you go with and why?

Recycled bullet

Cz97 is awesome. At 10 yards I was shooting bullets into the same hole. At 20 yards the group was the size of an egg. I only shot it that one time, couple magazines worth . I like double action single action hammer-fired guns.

rc

Can you modify an EAA witness? They are an all steel CZ 75 variant like the 97s and I believe they can use the same double stack magazine. They are very reliable.

1972RedNeck

Can you modify an EAA witness? They are an all steel CZ 75 variant like the 97s and I believe they can use the same double stack magazine. They are very reliable.

From what I have read, it's not really feasible to convert CZ75 from safety to decocker...

5whiskey

So a Sig P227 is a double stack... ish. You essentially get 2 extra rounds over a P220 with the mag floor plate replacement (I think new models come with 8 round mags). I've carried both as a duty weapon. EVERYONE at my agency preferred the P220 over the P227. The trigger was not quite as good, the grip stippling done by sig was a terrible idea, and the grip dimensions were changed just enough to make the pistol much less natural feeling. Everyone was happy with a 8+1 P220 vs the 10+1 P227. There's a reason the P227 wasn't successful, and the P220 soldiers on. Take that as you may, but I carried both guns for years.

1972RedNeck

So a Sig P227 is a double stack... ish. You essentially get 2 extra rounds over a P220 with the mag floor plate replacement (I think new models come with 8 round mags). I've carried both as a duty weapon. EVERYONE at my agency preferred the P220 over the P227. The trigger was not quite as good, the grip stippling done by sig was a terrible idea, and the grip dimensions were changed just enough to make the pistol much less natural feeling. Everyone was happy with a 8+1 P220 vs the 10+1 P227. There's a reason the P227 wasn't successful, and the P220 soldiers on. Take that as you may, but I carried both guns for years.

Hmm, one of the reasons I am wanting a double stack is to fill my hands better. Was the grip on the 227 just too big or just designed a little off? I have yet to find a grip too big...

paknheat

I understand Taurus is making a double stack tda pistol in .45 acp now. Maybe worth taking a look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rc

The EAA has a bigger grip in 45 than the CZ 75 so it's hand filling. If you are not set on double stack, the P220s are nice guns. You might also be able to find an older used smith and wesson 3rd generation 645 that will have a traditional single/double actions system with Decock safety. I'd be curious if anyone can comment on the accuracy of the 645. My 3rd generation 9mm was reliable but not very accurate.

5whiskey

Hmm, one of the reasons I am wanting a double stack is to fill my hands better. Was the grip on the 227 just too big or just designed a little off? I have yet to find a grip too big.

I'm 6'4" and have big mitts. The P220 was quite comfortable for me. The P227 is a grip a bit wider, but not by very much. It's just that the grip feels off and the stipling is horrible. And it wasnt really about "getting used to it," i carried a P227 long enough to get used to it. Along with the trigger being altered, amd worse feeling, from the original P220... I just am not a fan of the 227. YMMV.

L. Boscoe

You can satisfy the grip question with Nill-Griffe grips, available for
CZ 97 and 1911s. I use them on both, so when I pick up either gun it points the same, very valuable in Bullseye shooting. I have
Tanfoglio as well and they satisfy the double stack requirement, but no decocker. Their bull barrel models are very accurate.

wild cat mccane

Just throwing it out there that in DA/SA Tanfoglio Defiant and Stock line.

That increases your options to the 45 Stock 1, Stock 2, Stock 3, Defiant Master.

Doh. Just saw your decocker only comment. Sorry

Woolecox

I have the HK USP Tactical V1 45 Auto. Awesome pistol.

It does have a safety but, you don't have to use it. Simply leave it off after you de-cock. That is what I do. Now the gun is ready for DA/SA operation. It is a beast of a gun. I don't carry it.

I have an SilencerCo Omega 45K in jail for it.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/hk-usp-tactical-v1-45-auto-acp-509in-black-pistol-121-rounds/p/1761592?msclkid=8ccbc8132f0318541dc0ad75b9f43ab2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20-%20DSA%20-%20Product%20Pages&utm_term=%2Fp%2F&utm_content=DSA%20-%20Product%20Pages

IzcOaQ8.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

For a high-capacity, hand-filling .45, the FNX-45 is an excellent choice. Depending on your hands, the grip texture can be a little aggressive without gloves. It's certainly secure and shoots well.

The safety lever can go up or down, one way for locking and the other for decocking. While I don't like manual safeties at all on a carry gun, this does accommodate carry in a variety of conditions, from cocked and locked to resting in double action. The double action is decent and the single action is pretty good.

Being a very large but lightweight gun, it almost feels like a toy when not loaded. I really feel the difference from full magazine to empty.