Double Barrel hammer gun half cock...

big al hunter

44 AMP, does your shotgun have 1 trigger or 2? If it has 2 triggers....I am as baffled as you. And I would assume something is haywire in the lock. If it has 1 trigger....I would surmise that the designer of old had this thought. "If the first barrel is the right barrel, and it can't fire when on half cock, why bother putting an extra safety devise on the second shot?". With this configuration one could carry it afield with the left hammer cocked and the right hammer at half cock. When a bird jumps, cock the right hammer and both barrels are available immediately. Just pull the trigger twice.

Just a guess, but try it and see what works and what doesn't. But don't go off half cocked without trying it first! (Pun intended)

44 AMP

Staff
My gun has two (2) triggers, and a tang safety.

I don't think its broken, and having two guns, decades apart, with different syle actions, one made in China and the other in Brazil with the same features (lack of a half cock on the LEFT barrel only) tells me it is some kind of design philosophy I don't understand.

One possibility occurs to me, that since the "modern" guns have tang safeties, the half cock might be considered superfluous, but if so, why have it on the RIGHT barrel??

AM looking for anyone with experience with the old original "no safety" double hammer double trigger guns to see if the lack of a half cock on the LEFT was something done with them, or not.

big al hunter

Have you tried cocking the left hammer and put the right hammer on half cock. Then pull the left barrel trigger? May be a disconnect inside the lock so it only needs 1 hammer at half cock to make it so both triggers are unable to fire?

44 AMP

Staff
Both hammers are completely independent of each other. The only common point is the tang safety blocks both triggers at the same time. Hammers can be cocked together or separately with the safety ON.