Does this look cracked?

jmr40

To the best of my knowledge most, if not all guns are test fired before leaving ther factory. Has been that way for as long as I can remember. Many guns come with a target to prove they function and to prove their accuracy. It is only recently that they have been shipped with an empty casing.

ChicagoTex

Many guns come with a target to prove they function and to prove their accuracy.

You must buy only higher-end quality guns. Good for you. (seriously, that's not a backhanded insult).

Test-firing is definitely not a given with every gun, and I can assure that you that Tauruses in particular are NOT test-fired. Shipping a test target with the gun is even more rare (Taurus doesn't do it, Ruger doesn't do it, Beretta doesn't do it, Glock doesn't do it, Springfield doesn't do it, I don't know if SIG does it or not because I've never bought or a SIG new or know anyone who has).

Doug S

I was under the impression that firearms were tested for function before leaving the factory, and that included test firing. Regardless, I think the discussion between test firing, and the inclusion of spent casings with a new firearm, are two different discussions.

Also, I agree that that gun looks to have been fired more than just "test-fired". I've taken my chances with a good number of Taurus firearms in the past, and most of the time I've been disappointed. No $700 Taurus guns for me.

James K

Member In Memoriam
AFAIK, Taurus guns to be shipped to MD are fired at their US facility, which has a manufacturer's license, not at the Brazilian factory.

I also doubt very much that Taurus cylinders are cast, and in fact I don't think their frames are, either. Casting cylinders would be silly, as round bar stock is cheap. Even Ruger, which casts frames, does not cast cylinders.

I can't tell for sure, but the mark looks like a scratch, not a crack. A close examination and/or magnafluxing of the inside of the chamber should tell the story.

Jim

AZAK

I have never looked at this gun model before, but that looks like quite a nice cylinder ring on this specimen here!

Just don't load up that one hole if you are worried about the "imperfection/crack", four should be good enough in this caliber! Ha. No thank you!

ChicagoTex

Sort of off topic but... what are the odds that the insert on a fiber optic sight could hold in a gun that small against repeated .500 S&W Mag recoil?

madmag

Another thing to try.

Wet the inside of the cylinder using isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol will evaporate from the smooth surface faster than any that gets into a crack. This helps to show the crack......that is if there is a crack. I tend to agree it looks more like a mark than a crack. But then again don't shoot any heavy loads based on my word until you find out.:cool:

jmr40

No high end guns for me ChicagoTex.

My CZ's all had a computer printout of the target, not the actual target. Things may have changed but S&W used to shoot 1 cylinder through each gun to test for function. A $399 Weatherby comes with a test target. At one time Marlin used to advertise the fact that all of their rifles were test fired for accuracy before leaving the factory. Guns made in Europe used to have to survive a "Proof" load that was loaded to exceed maximum pressures before they could be sold. Not sure if this is still in practice or not.

I cannot say for sure about all guns, but the practice used to be to fire a few rounds through guns before they left the factory to test for function. Some were also tested for accuracy.

James K

Member In Memoriam
All guns made in countries with proof laws still have to be proof tested, but that involves only one shot from each barrel/chamber, so it is not really a function test, at least with an auto pistol.

Ruger once fired each handgun with one full magazine or one cylinder in addition to proof loads. They claimed doing so eliminated 99.99% of potential comebacks. I don't know if they still do, but Ruger has a reputation for high reliability. Colt and S&W did the same thing, but I now hear that S&W fires only three rounds from their revolvers as a cost saving measure.

Some factories, though, don't fire their guns at all before shipping; I won't name some I know of, but folks can probably guess.

Jim

JagFarlane

Test-firing is definitely not a given with every gun, and I can assure that you that Tauruses in particular are NOT test-fired. Shipping a test target with the gun is even more rare (Taurus doesn't do it, Ruger doesn't do it, Beretta doesn't do it, Glock doesn't do it, Springfield doesn't do it, I don't know if SIG does it or not because I've never bought or a SIG new or know anyone who has).

SIG doesn't ship a target out either. And just to clarify, Rugers are test fired, my MkIII came with the first casing [VA doesn't collect them]

As far as rifles go, the only one I've heard of coming with a target from those is Weatherby's Sub-MOA rifles.

ghalleen

Interesting if true, since S&W runs 2 full mags through their M&Ps before shipping.

I thought it was interesting that the manual for my M&P15 states that the warranty only covers the original owner, and only for one year.

Why does their AR-15 have a shorter warranty than the rest of their firearms?

TheNev

Ok, first off, Taurus DOES test fire their guns at the factory.
Both my NIB PT1911 and my Model 66 .357 had gunpowder residue on the muzzle and cylinder face, respectively.
The PT1911 was my first gun, bought at a gun store / firing range about 3 years ago.
The 66 was bought at Cabela's in early May.
Now that I think of it, EVERY NIB Taurus I've picked up has had residue on the gun.

Secondly, my CZ P-01 came with a printout showing where the rounds struck at 25 meters.

Last edited:
Hard to tell if it is a casting flaw or a crack from the photo. I would lean to a casting flaw, either way I would not purchase it no matter wwho the manufacturer was. Where I work any casting flaw in a machined surface makes the part subject to scrap or rework if determined possible. Worse is the fact that it appears to go into the bore of the cylinder, so you don't know how far it runs.

peejman

That'll teach the seller to take such good pictures.... :rolleyes:

But agreed, maybe it's a crack, maybe it's a minor flaw. No way to tell via the internet.