Does this look cracked?

Delaware_Dan

3815014297_68acb17545_o.jpg

I think thats a cylinder crack, but it could just be an imperfection. It says it's new, but it looks used to me. Either way, you couldnt pay me to shoot that thing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=136850717

csmsss

Looks like a casting flaw/imperfection to me. Not a firearm I'm interested in, but that wouldn't prevent me from buying it if I were otherwise inclined to.

Skans

Casting flaw or crack, either way I'd pass. Also, that gun's been fired before - you can see the rings around the cylinder bores, though they've been cleaned pretty good.

ChicagoTex

that gun's been fired before - you can see the rings around the cylinder bores, though they've been cleaned pretty good.

Indeed. What's more, you can see plenty of powder/primer residue around the firing pin hole on the recoil shield.

pix257208531.jpg

The seller is a liar. Taurus does NOT test fire their guns prior to sending them out (if they did, it'd cut down significantly on all the crap Tauruses people get stuck with), and that gun has unquestionably been shot before and is NOT NIB.

So... who wants a poorly cast Taurus .500 S&W compact being sold by a liar? anyone, anyone? :rolleyes:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Isn't it across the board for makers to include a single fired cartridge for the states that require the dealer to provide one upon sale of firearm to state police?
Brent

ChicagoTex

Isn't it across the board for makers to include a single fired cartridge for the states that require the dealer to provide one upon sale of firearm to state police?

Doesn't explain 5 dirty holes and that much residue on the recoil shield, but you've got a point.

Still, that's not really a "test fire" (as it's not aimed, and doesn't fire more than one round).

DasFriek

I know for a fact Taurus doesnt send test shot brass with thier semi auto's like Glock does.So as faik they arent test shot at all.
Im a pretty big Taurus fan but on a $700 gun i wouldnt be expecting to see cast marks on the outsides of any weapon.
The place selling it as new,and you guys confirm its been shot makes this even worse.
I cant say id ever pay $700 for any Taurus,$500 for a 1911 yes.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Sorry, I should have clarified... I too, feel it is a used pistol but wondered if one round was required...
Also looking at the bevel on the front of cylinder, it appears the "crack" wraps around from the breech end to the bevel. The bevel is likely not in the casting so it is a deep blemish or a crack.
Even a blemish is going to leak more thus possibly inviting a crack as the pressures aren't even... I could be wrong about a pistol but on engine blocks, we can spend hours sanding the RAISED casting flaws smooth to increase the life under severe loads.
Brent

akr

All my NEW revolvers that I bought from Bud's have been fired and have light rings around the cylinder holes. I want my new revolvers to have been fired at least 6 times.(referring to post #1)

EnoughGUN

shell

I know for a fact Taurus doesnt send test shot brass with thier semi auto's like Glock does.So as faik they arent test shot at all.
Im a pretty big Taurus fan but on a $700 gun i wouldnt be expecting to see cast marks on the outsides of any weapon.
The place selling it as new,and you guys confirm its been shot makes this even worse.
I cant say id ever pay $700 for any Taurus,$500 for a 1911 yes.

Yes they do. You cannot buy a new handgun in MD unless it comes with a shell casing and they sell Taurus handguns in MD.

KyJim

You cannot buy a new handgun in MD unless it comes with a shell casing and they sell Taurus handguns in MD.
Seems like a strange law. I thought the whole fired shell thing started when a few states required manufacturers send them a fired shell casing for a database to compare forensically with casings collected at the scene of a crime. Of course, this makes absolutely no sense when it comes to revolvers since the fired casings don't have the extractor and other marks like semi-autos. Also, very few bad guys dump their casings out at the scene In fact, the whole concept of keeping a database of expended shells from every gun for possible forensic testing is a joke, but that's another issue.

Kreyzhorse

I bought a NIB Taurus M85 that did not come with a spent shell casing. However, as pointed out, if Taurus sells guns in Maryland, the guns must include a spent shell casing.

As far as the particular Taurus in question, I guess it's been fired more than once in any case.

With Taurus's questionable QA, I'd pass on this one. Looks a little fishy to me.

ChicagoTex

However, as pointed out, if Taurus sells guns in Maryland, the guns must include a spent shell casing.

Manufacturers have, in the past, fired only guns to be sent to MD and not the rest. Admittedly, these days most manufacturers do it anyway to simplify distribution, but I could see how a few pennies could be pinched by Taurus only firing and collecting cases for a select few.