Does anyone own a Wildey?

44 AMP

Staff
DSCF0523-1.jpg

Coonan Model A
One of the first 1500 built

I suppose I am lucky, it was only 40 years ago I decided I wanted an Auto Mag, And it took 11 years after that (and a personal loan) before I got my first one! At the time, it cost me more than the car I was driving! The others started coming along some time after that, and I only got the "last" one in the collection last year!

And yes, 44 AMP is for Auto Mag Pistol. :D

44 AMP

Staff
more of the family...

3gun.jpg

two .44AMP and a .357AMP

Now I need to find a camera, so I can get some new shots!;)
I do have a few other pics, and will share them later, if you guys are ...interested.

I have learned a few things about the guns, and their cartridges over the years (including how difficult finding brass can be), and yes, I have formed and loaded for the .44AMP, although I prefer to use factory brass when I can find it. Starline made some 44AMP a few years back, and I have gotten my hands on some of it, but they are currently out, and won't make any more, until they get enough demand.:( Also .45Win Mag is scarce, and currently waiting enough demand for another production run.

Since the OP was about the Wildey, here's a tidbit, the gas system is easily adjustable, by hand (no tools needed), and allows you to adjust the gun to any level of ammo power, unlike and other auto I know.

I'm happy to discuss the features, both pro and con of any of these guns, and their cartridges, as long as you remember that they are not duty class autos, and were never meant to be. So, comparisons with 1911s, Sigs, and GLocks, etc. are invalid. Yes, they are huge, and heavy (The Desert Eagle is 4.25lbs empty!), and some of them are capable of rifle class accuracy, if you can shoot them well enough! The only one of the group that comes close to a duty/self defense gun is the Coonan, and its the smallest of the bunch!

more to come, later, IF you want!:D

aarondhgraham

Hello 44 AMP,,,

Okay,,,
Now you're just showing off. ;)

But that's okay,,,
If I had a fine collection like yours I would show it off too.

Envy abounds!

Aarond

Molasses

Starline made some 44AMP a few years back, and I have gotten my hands on some of it, but they are currently out, and won't make any more, until they get enough demand.

I had some on backorder (for about a year) from Midway and through a local reloading store: both orders were filled within the last three months, so they've made another run quite recently. ;)

edited for clarity

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Don, the reliability has been good, once the gas system is adjusted, and I have found that it may take adjustment after changing loads.

I have not shot the gun much, and originally set it up shooting the 230gr FMJ factory load. Then I switched to the 260gr Win Partition Gold, and the gun got balky until I adjusted the gas system a couple more clicks. After that it cycled fine, and also cycled the 230gr as well.

So, based on my rather limited experience so far, I would say that you should expect to have to adjust the gas system when you change loads, but you may not have to. Individual guns may show a broader or lesser tolerance than mine, I don't know,as I only have the one, but I would expect some variation, with the general operation remaining the same. Adjusting the gas nut is easy, done by hand, and can be done anytime between shots.

The process to set up the gun for a given load is simple, and covered in the manual. Basically, you start with the gas system closed, and open it a certain number of clicks, load one round and fire it. Open the gas port one click at a time firing single rounds until the slide lock open. Then load two rounds in the gun and fire. If it feeds the second round, open one more click and try a full mag. At this point, you should be good to go. I was, until I changed ammo, and then had to adjust a little more to get it cycling properly.

If you remember (or better yet, write down) the number of clicks (counting from "off") for a given load, you can easily shift the setting on the range or in the field in seconds.

WESHOOT2

not mine (I mean, I don't own any)

I am aware of some potential difficulty from the 475 versions.
The 45 versions seemed much more reliable in function.

BruceM

"Ah, but did Harry actually design the Auto Mag, or was it Max Gera?"

Well, I guess it depends on who you managed to ask and that could be problematical with Harry.

;)

Bruce

Don Glock

Don, the reliability has been good, once the gas system is adjusted, and I have found that it may take adjustment after changing loads.

I have not shot the gun much, and originally set it up shooting the 230gr FMJ factory load. Then I switched to the 260gr Win Partition Gold, and the gun got balky until I adjusted the gas system a couple more clicks. After that it cycled fine, and also cycled the 230gr as well.

So, based on my rather limited experience so far, I would say that you should expect to have to adjust the gas system when you change loads, but you may not have to. Individual guns may show a broader or lesser tolerance than mine, I don't know,as I only have the one, but I would expect some variation, with the general operation remaining the same. Adjusting the gas nut is easy, done by hand, and can be done anytime between shots.

The process to set up the gun for a given load is simple, and covered in the manual. Basically, you start with the gas system closed, and open it a certain number of clicks, load one round and fire it. Open the gas port one click at a time firing single rounds until the slide lock open. Then load two rounds in the gun and fire. If it feeds the second round, open one more click and try a full mag. At this point, you should be good to go. I was, until I changed ammo, and then had to adjust a little more to get it cycling properly.

If you remember (or better yet, write down) the number of clicks (counting from "off") for a given load, you can easily shift the setting on the range or in the field in seconds.

oh that doesn't sound bad at all. interesting. first time someone's explained that to me, of course i don't know anyone else that has one lol. i really appreciate it. always been curious about those since i say it in death wish IV lol