Does anyone hunt with dual long guns?

Tallest

Illegal here. And a .30-30 will kill fine at 400 yards.

And a 4 oz. ball peen hammer will drive a 16P framing nail. Doesn’t make it the right tool.

Most 30-30 rounds have dropped 42”+ at 400 yds, and that’s more holdover than I’d like.

Much more importantly, 200 yds is the just about the max for reliable bullet expansion. After that, your velocity is diminishing too fast. At 400 yds you’re likely sub-1200fps.

That’s just not the right way to do it... for me at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doyle

Plus the fact that getting "minute of deer" accuracy at 400 yds is EXTREMELY rare in a lever-action rifle.

Lohman446

I know someone who carries a crossbow and a rifle when hunting. He figures shots with a rifle in one particular direction are not safe due to the angle of terrain and proximity of neighbors. Its the closest thing I have heard that makes "sense" to me. Touting a rifle and a crossbow out to the blind seems like a pretty big commitment to me.

Rachen

In one of Dixie Gun Work's earlier Blackpowder Annuals there is a very interesting article titled "Backup Guns of the Buffalo Hunters", and it examines the gear and weapons carried by commercial hide-hunters of the middle and late 19th century on the Great Plains. The article states that some novice hunters would hit the field carrying only their massive "Buffalo Sharps" or Remington Rolling Blocks and literally trust their lives on just that one gun. And many of them lost their lives when bands of Comanches and Kiowa, enraged at the destruction of their chief meat animal would attack the hunters. The Sharps and Remmies were absolutely awesome guns and they fired a massive, hard-hitting round. But they only fired one round at a time and when you are only with a few others facing off against a band of 50-100 warriors with lances and repeaters, you are pretty much broiled alive.

According to that same article, by the late 1870s, it is not uncommon for a commercial hunter to carry a Sharps or Rolling Block as his main gun, but also a Model 1873 Winchester or Spencer has a backup. The leverguns were not just for defense against possible Indian raids. They were also for harvesting jackrabbits and other small game for the ranch wagon. You don't shoot a jack with a .45-70 and expect to see a lot of edible meat left afterward.

Hawg

I have had similar situations and have never even considered a 2nd gun. I carried what I felt like hunting with that day and if something came up out of range I let it walk and didn't worry about it.

Schlitz 45

I have only had one freezer filler gun for deer/elk/antelope over the last 40 years here in Colorado. Most kills were quick & close in heavy timber with a few long distance kills on the open plains. It was also my go to coyote getter on the farm/ranch. My trusty 308 has never let me down.

Picher

I once hunted with a .22-250 and got several deer with it, but one day, was walking through the woods and saw a doe coming, so got behind a hardwood tree and waited until it was about 50 yards away and broadside. I noticed it was limping on one front leg, so didn't want to spoil a lot of meat and decided to shoot it in the head.

Well, I fired 5 times at the head, but as it limped, the head bobbed up and down, so I never hit it. Had to reload and shoot it through the lungs. What a frustrating experience!!!

Don Fischer

I always have a backup rifle along but it stays in the Bronco unless I need it. Hunt elk now with my 30-06 and 6.5x55 along as back-up. wanting to do deer with my 308 and cast bullet's, back-up is the same 6.5x55. East of the cascade's for deer my 25-06 get's the call but same 6.5x55 back-up. Ya know I could just use that 6.5x55 for every where! Love that rifle and cartridge!

Husqvarna

Combination Guns rule!

My most regular hunting (my longest season) is done with a o/u in 12g/6,5x55, we are out for roe, fox, hare even boar

Or it is what I take when just out in the woods for no particular reason

With buck or slugs i am confortable even doing road work For the cops after injured boar /bear struck in traffic. It is like a poor mans double rifle

With a fmj and birdshot it is great for treetopp birds

Tallest

Combination Guns rule!

My most regular hunting (my longest season) is done with a o/u in 12g/6,5x55, we are out for roe, fox, hare even boar

Or it is what I take when just out in the woods for no particular reason

With buck or slugs i am confortable even doing road work For the cops after injured boar /bear struck in traffic. It is like a poor mans double rifle

With a fmj and birdshot it is great for treetopp birds
There's a thought! I hadn't thought of shotgun for close shots

Husqvarna

We hunt with Dogs like dachshound, beagle, basset etc, even some with my terrier

So it is a driven hunt, if they run past you (driven by the dog) within 30yards they get some lead from the shotgun barrel

If they just pop up up, 120or so yards away (walking away because they have heard the Dogs) you have time to aim and get them with the rifle barrel i limit myself to 120 on roe because i most often just have a reddot mounted, i have a fixed 6x with qr mounts but you cant really shot shot with that

If you are fancy or rich you have a drilling 12/12/rifle calibre

Some pro hunters use a reverse drilling with 2 rifle barrels and one shotgun

the possum

If you are fancy or rich you have a drilling 12/12/rifle calibre

I see a number of used Drillings fetch $800-$1200 on Gun Broker. While they're not cheap, we talk about plenty of guns on these forums in that price range. When I think of a "rich man's gun", I envision a $70,000 gun from Holland & Holland, Perazzi, or so on. I actually own 2 Drillings; paid $200 for one & $700 for the other.

FITASC

Drillings are not expensive and are very versatile; many folks will take one of the shotgun barrels and put a .22lr or .22wmr insert in it to give then three options - a rimfire round for small game, a 12 or 16 bore barrel for winged game and a centerfire for larger game