Does anyone here use a Bond Arms Derringer as a BUG?

Limnophile

I agree with Mr. DeShivs. The double-barreled derringer is 19th century technology that is mostly outdated. Compare the Roughneck chambered in .45 Auto to a relevant pocketable piece of 21st century technology, the Ruger LCP MAX chambered in .380 ACP:

• the LCP MAX has 450% more capacity — 11 rounds vs 2 rounds;

• the LCP MAX has 150% more tissue destruction potential — as measured by a modification to the Taylor Knock Out Factor, mTKOF, muzzle energy (instead of momentum) multiplied by bullet cross-sectional area (instead of diameter) multiplied by capacity, where the LCP MAX has 0.0097 ft^3•lb•rounds vs 0.0039 for the Roughneck (the .45 ACP beats the .380 ACP hands down on a cartridge-to-cartridge performance, but 11 rounds of .380 ACP is better than 2 rounds of .45 ACP);

• the LCP MAX has 53% less recoil — 4.8 ft•lb vs 10.2 ft•lb;

• the LCP MAX weighs 44% less — 0.66 lb vs 1.19 lb (each unloaded);

• the LCP MAX has 23% less bulk — about 7.9 in^3 vs 10.3 in^3 (B ≈ LWH/2); and,

• the LCP MAX has a 33% greater muzzle velocity — 937 ft/s vs 703 ft/s (thus, a flatter trajectory should you ever need to socially engage with your pocket piece at beyond bad breath distance).

The only metric the Roughneck outperforms the LCP MAX in is MSRP — $269 vs $449. But, for twice the price the LCP MAX is more concealable, easier to carry, harder hitting, and more accurate. These days the derringer is best relegated to the role of BUTTBUG, Back Up To The Back Up Gun.

Ricklin

You do you, an LCP is a far better choice as a BUG. 7 .380s trumps 2 .45s. More of what we might need, less of what we don't want. An LCP for me as a BUG.

jstert

i have several bond arms derringers with 45lc/410, 45lc, 45acp, 357/38, 9mm, 380acp, 327/32, 22lr barrels. all frames are original, gen2 (indented trigger, wider hammer, improved action). i had a lesser-finished, cheaper roughneck; it was of poor quality, ill-fitted and wouldn’t readily accept all my other barrels. i returned it to b.a. and it came back still not to my liking so i sold it off.

since b.a. derringers are built stoutly and shot little a used gen2 is the best buy, especially on gunbroker. rubber grips or longer wooden grips, especially for “4” calibers. 410 (long gun loads), 45acp and 357mag are sharply unpleasant. 45 schofield, 38sp, 32 long and 22lr are pleasant. 45lc (cowboy loads) and 410 (handgun loads) thump but are not bad. 9mm and 380acp are ok.

now to o.p.’s question. if i need a b.u.g. a naa bugout 22lr mini revolver with cv revision grips is my go-to choice. my b.a. derringers serve as a backup shooting-range, travel, winter ccw. backup: same caliber as my primary shooter for fun, ccw if i’m alone outdoors and to clean up extra rounds. travel: bring extra barrels to ammo scrounge, easy to secure. winter: remove trigger guard to use with gloved hands.

i bought my first b.a. derringer ten years ago as an early-retirement, crazy-money gift to myself. at first i thought b.a. derringers to be a gimmick, with their cartoonish ads in the nra magazine. they are not gimmicks. they are solid, simple, easily cleaned, safe shooters. their trigger action takes some practice but certainly isn’t impossible at all to master. extra barrels make wonderful birthday and christmas gifts to myself. they don’t print. they consist of just two parts. in my humble, low threat environments they are a fine day-hike piece, especially in cold weather.

there are always better values for a ccw or b.u.g. than a b.a. derringer if money is tight or one’s threat environment is high. if starting over, would i try one, used, $300ish, original, gen2 b.a. derringer? sure, in my favorite centerfire handgun caliber, but ymmv.

Last edited:

Prof Young

Not please with my Bond Armns

I owned a Bond Arms Rough . . . whatever in 45/410. It had a lot of trouble with one of the barrels not firing. Apparently they are finicky about ammo. It was a range toy for me and got sold off when the fun was done. If I was looking for a BUG I'd want something 100% reliable.

Life is good.
Prof Young

As a back up gun it should be fine. This is another gun carried along with your primary gun. The best gun for this job is something light and thin as possible because carrying one gun is enough of a chore, to carry two it has to be very easy. The Stinger is 12oz and about as thin as you can get. Bond arms has different geometry on their newer models making their triggers better than they used to be. Not awesome, but not as bad.
GetImage.ashx

Bill DeShivs

A Keltec P32 is probably smaller, lighter and hold 8 shots. It's double action.

I guess you could carry a matchlock pistol if you wanted.....

Drm50

Double derringers are range toys and novelties. Better than a sharp stick but that depends on how long sharp stick is.