Do you think the color of your carry gun matters?

Do you think the color of your carry gun matters?

• Yes, I could see it playing a role.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • No, it would not have any impact.

Votes: 84 64.6%
  • I'm not sure if it would or not.

Votes: 13 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slimjim9

I say the only part of a firearm that the assailant sees is its muzzle .
So do you think the jury would have a problem with this? :D
smile-wait-for-flash.jpg

(Edit: not mine by the way)

Last edited:

Stringfellow

Quote:
This kind of logic is 100% urban myth. There is zero legal basis that I am aware of.
Someone did not watch the Zimmerman trial.

~Joel

This is exactly what I mean. You can't refer to some completely unrelated case, with a completely different set of facts, and come to some legal conclusion.

This is reckless and what causes urban myth.

Sequins

Stringfellow, do you or do you not believe that the "kind" of gun used in a shooting matters? The caliber of the gun? Whether it's smaller or bigger than common examples a member of the jury is likely to have seen in real life or media? More or less "threatening" looking in shape or design (ie. big automatic vs. small revolver)? Color?

I think that the caliber having an impact is proven to matter, and I think that type and colour are up for debate. I don't think it's proven to be true or to be an urban myth either way, and I think it's even more reckless not to consider every conceivable factor in your decision to carry. How can you possibly say it's reckless to be more careful?

Stringfellow

When there is no legal basis for a concern, it really isn't a matter of being "careful".

I have seen these threads over and over, usually with some vague reference to "overzealous prosecutors" and usually taken completely out of context. But I have never seen any specifics that give these stories any validity.

Aikibiker

I just gave you a specific case. During the Zimmerman trial the prosecutor spent several hours putting Zimmerman's gun, ammo, holster, and the fact that he carried with a round in the chamber on trial.

Zimmerman's defense team had anticipated this and had called the guy that gave Zimmerman some basic handgun training (a former Air Marshal) to rebut the prosecutor's assertions.

dahermit

This kind of logic is 100% urban myth. There is zero legal basis that I am aware of.
It is not a matter of legality, the question has to do with sociology and the personalities (prejudices, etc. of the jury members), and how easily they they may be influenced to turn a mole hill into a mountain.

45_auto

The logic that could play into the "evil" or "non-evil" cosmetic characteristics of a gun's color is the same logic that bans certain semi-auto rifles based on cosmetic features (pistol grips, flash suppressors, collapsible stocks, etc) that have NOTHING to do with their function as weapon.

Anyone who doubts that it exists has been living under a rock for the past 25 years or so.

No, I don't think it matters. That isn't to say that the opposing attorney won't try to make it matter, but of course s/he is going to try to make anything and everything matter, whether it does or not.

Lopti

I think it just depends on the jury to be honest... so there is not straight up yes or no.

There are certain things that I personally avoid, for example for a while on my Glock which is my conceal carry I replaced the back plate with a plate that had a confederate flag on it. Unlike many believe this is not a symbol of racism I see it is a freedom of individual states from the federal government.

However because I know many see it as a racist thing I changed it to the normal backplate simply because if I ever do have to use my gun and the person happens to be of another race that can look bad to some jury members.

Sharkbite

I replaced the back plate with a plate that had a confederate flag on it

I see that as a potential issue. Shoud you then need to use that gun against a Black guy, im sure the opposing counsel would use that to paint you as a racist. That could make the defense of the shooting more difficult.

Same with a backplate with a Swastika and a shooting involving a Jewish attacker.

As would engraving "kill em all" on the slide...but the base color of the pistol?? I dont think so

armedleo

Speaking of juries, if you think you're ever gonna find yourself in front of one I'd also be mindful of the bumper stickers I have on my car if I were you.

orionengnr

It makes no sense for me (or anyone else) to base my carry decisions on what someone who has no grasp on logic or reason thinks.

That is equivalent to asking someone to predict tomorrow's weather in Peru when they have zero understanding of what or where Peru is.

Sharkbite

Im going to only wear WHITE hats from now on. Everybody knows only good guys wear white hats (and BAD guys wear black ones).

That way i'll never have to be involved in a shooting wearing a black hat, cause that would show me to be a BAD guy

Sequins

Sharkbite, that is literally what I am proposing. I think a guy in a suit does better than a guy in a tshirt when we're in court. I bet guys with visible tattoos are incarcerated at a higher rate than clean skinned folks as well. Appearances might be the only thing that matters in court.

I recently participated in a mock trial for a law student friend of mine and they ran the same exact factual case every year for every class, it was a full trial from jury selection, to testimony, to closing statements, to verdict. As a juror I saw everything a real juror would see, my role was as a juror.

Again this case was run with 100% the same set of facts for years and years, the judge who presided has taught for like 10 years minimum. I asked him if we, as the jury, made the right decision and he said there was no right decision and that that case went 50/50 through the years with different arguments used every time. I emphasize again, strongly, that the facts available never changed from year to year, only the advocates and the jurors.

Glenn E. Meyer

Endless debate based - please read

Jury Decision Making: The State of the Science (Psychology and Crime) Paperback – August 6, 2012
by Dennis Devine (Author)

Forensic and Legal Psychology: Psychological Science Applied to Law , 2nd Edition 2nd Edition
by Mark Costanzo (Author), Daniel Krauss (Author)

to get a handle on jury processes.

The individual appearance of anything might set off a juror against you or for you.

Might gun color do it - unless during voir dire - your advocated is wearing a Galactic Patrol lens - you might not know.