Do you take your guns apart? Do you know what you're doing?

enikkor

It depends.

All my Sigs and H & Ks, and 22 pistols I do field strip and clean almost
everytime.
I'm not so good with the darn 1911s, although I love the way they shoot.
I hate to take them down!!!!!! I hate it. It is partly due to an old finger
injury that cannot push that stupid front springs and bushings...
It's a love and hate with the 1911. I know, someone will write here that
it is the easiest. I also think that the manuals with the 1911 are so
stupid, they don't give you the real process and tools to do the job.
I brought all my 3 1911s to my smith to put back together. I don't care.
I pay him to do the job. He usually does not charge me for simple
reassembly.
I do not baby my pistols. These are simply tools. If I don't have the time
I just shoot them. If they get scratch, so what!!!! I usually trade them at
a lost almost all the time...

MikeRussell

Yes, I do take them down completely for cleaning from time to time and even modify them! I'm not a gunsmith, but am an experienced mechanic with some fabrication skills. I kept hearing that no one in my area did work on CZs because they're too difficult to work on and I didn't feel like sending it off, so I tore into my CZ75 SP01. I did a complete action job (including recutting the sear and hammer hooks), removed FPB and modified the FPBL to act as a spacer, changed out my sights to competition sights, and did all the fine tuning and tweaking on the rest of the pistol. I get amazed looks from people that I let test it out when they find out that a) I'm not a gunsmith and b) I did every bit of work myself. I just took my time, worked in small increments, and tested frequently...all while thinking to myself that if I mess something up, I'll just order a new part and start over. Now, I laugh when someone tells me how difficult CZs are to work on, because it was actually quite simple compared to some things that I work on!

gac009

I take apart all of my guns before I take them to the range for the first time. I start by field stripping according to the manual and then if there is anything else that looks like it comes apart without the need for tools, like the FCG on a Ruger revolver, I take that down too. I have never had a problem reassembling a firearm.

jhco50

Yes, I do on occasion take a handgun down to the bare bones and yes, I know what I am doing. Rifles as well, although, I had to hit the forums to find a gunsmith to straighten me out on a Winchester 100. It had whupped me bad.

XD 45

Yes I do take my gun apart and i do know what im doing if i didn't then i would not have the handgun in the first place.

El Barto

Yes, and for the most part.

I have successfully taken apart all of my guns and have successfully re-assembled them, including my new Ruger 22/45 (had to, a pin backed out, long story).

Some things are pretty easy such as the Mosin 91/30, and I was able to figure out my Ruger P-90, but I usually rely on the owner’s manual, schematics and descriptions on how-to that others were nice enough to post online.

I do not routinely disassemble a gun completely, just when I first get it to give it a once-over.

Broke

Yes, and it gets figured out if not:p

I've taken them all apart, except for the Sigs. I have the special cup punch tools and the other required tools for them, but I've not done it to them yet. I'll detail strip them at 5K rounds though.

Broke

Last edited: