Do you take your guns apart? Do you know what you're doing?

JohnKSa

Administrator
Bought a used pistol awhile back that had obviously been disassembled by someone who damaged several parts in the process. I checked it for damage at the shop and determined that the "injured" parts could be easily and economically replaced so I went ahead and bought it.

Later I got to thinking about the implications of the damage. Clearly someone had decided that they were going to disassemble the gun far beyond what was necessary for maintenance purposes and did so without ANY information whatsoever on how to accomplish the task.

I guess what I'm getting at is this.

1. If you don't know what you're doing, don't take your handguns apart. If they're self-defense tools you don't want to take the chance of adversely affecting their reliability. But even if they're not, you should consider that they are still items designed to be held in your hand in front of your face while they contain a small explosion.

2. If you want to know what you're doing, virtually every major manufacturer will provide you a manual free of charge and most allow you to download them from their websites. If you want to know more, you can attend armorer's classes, purchase instructional videos or download armorer's manuals online. It's EASY (and often free) to get the skills you desire.

3. Read your manual. I see a LOT of people posting questions that are answered in the manual of the handgun they're referring to. Manuals are usually quite compact and at least SOME of the information they contain is always useful. At least they'll give you useful advice on what you SHOULDN'T do without further instruction/information. I've owned a LOT of different guns, I'm a certified armorer and I have firearms instructor certifications in several disciplines but I STILL read the manual for any gun I purchase.

4. At least ASK someone first. There are people out there who are willing to provide helpful information, links to resources, etc. There's no excuse for simply tearing into a gun without any pertinent training or information.

At the very least this advice will save you money on replacement parts and resale losses. It may prevent you (or a bystander) from being injured and could even save your life.

hoytinak

I thought part of the fun of buying a new gun was to see just how far you could break it down then see if you could put it back together. :p

Really though, I to have gotten a couple of good deals from people selling used guns that just wasn't functioning right and after a quick look at it realizing that it was something as simple as a trigger spring or something not in right. ;)

WIN71

Not anymore

I used to take every used firearm I bought apart until one day I realized I had enough left over parts to almost build another gun. That's when I came to the conclusion gunsmithing along with brain surgery wasn't in my future. I haven't touched one, other than field strip, for years.

skeeter1

It depends...

My autoloader, a Beretta Cheetah, gets field stripped and cleaned every time I shoot it. No reason to disassemble it any further. The S&W revolvers range in age from 20 to 35 years and have never been disassembled. I've never had any reason to, so I'm not taking any chances.

PJW001

Anytime I use one at the range it is field stripped, cleaned, lightly oiled and reassembled until next time. I find this just as satisfying as shooting, hope this does not make me too far gone.

hoytinak

I used to take every used firearm I bought apart until one day I realized I had enough left over parts to almost build another gun. That's when I came to the conclusion gunsmithing along with brain surgery wasn't in my future. I haven't touched one, other than field strip, for years.

If you've got "extra" parts that just means you put it together more cost efficient and better than the manufacturer.:p

robc

I take all my guns apart. I don't use the manual or schematic until it's almost too late. I've only needed a gunsmith to clean up my mess once (turns out there's a hidden set-screw holding the mag tube in place on a Franchi AL48, and the anodized aluminum they're made of can be squeezed out of round by a couple pairs of pliers:eek:).

They always go back together almost the same way they came apart:)

ZeSpectre

Mostly I field strip and clean. If a firearm is brand new or has had a lot of use I will sometimes do an "extended" takedown and scrub everything down to pristine condition. This is followed by an inspection of the parts and then re-lube and re-assemble.

Yes I do know what I'm doing but have seen several instances of people who got in way over their head and had to go to the gunsmith with the "box o parts".

:rolleyes:

Tanzer

I read instruction manuals on everything from toasters to nightlights. My cleaning bench looks like this; Barrel, slide, frame, mainspring, disassembly latch, magazine (disassembled). All nitro gunk gets removed. Everything but the mag gets oiled, then wiped dry (barrel gets two dry patches), an hour or so later, the outside gets wiped free of excess once again. That's done me fine for years and years.

asianthug

i always take my revolvers all apart (except for the barrel) when i first take them home. If it is a new gun, i lube the action and trigger housing very well and put it back together. if it is a used gun, i put the metal parts in boiling water first and clean and lube with fp10 or breakfree. after that, i never take it apart only once a year if it has been used, even just 1 round. i usually relube it once a month just to have excuse to play with them. i tend to use a lot more than necessary but lube is too cheap and i don't use have to worry about malfuction due to overlubing as i rarely use my gun. my home defense gun get a light coat of fp10 once a weeik regardless of use.

i usually don't completely strip autopistols because all parts are visible and cleanable without removing it. i haven't put polymer gun in warm or boil water yet as i don't know have any knowledge of what will happen. ANYONE tried it? boiling the gun is a quick and easy way to degrease it. i learned that from the army back east where we would clean the pot and pan by pouring water in them and let the boiling water do the dirty work. restaurants use boiling steamy/water to clean stuffs too. it works very well for most metal. never tried polymer so don't know.

taking a gun completely apart is fun only if you know what you're doing. i personally don't think it is necessary to do so for many autopistol because of the great design. i think a lot of 1911 guys love to completely detail strip their guns but they probably know a lot of the guns from reading and learning from folks.

FS2K

Good post John.

I admit that I was one of those people that assumed that everyone had the same level of mechanical ability.

I don't assume that any more.

Some people should not touch their guns past field stripping it for cleaning. Other people shouldn't even go that far. LOL! However there are "Tinker'ers" among us that just have to see how their machines work and the advice you offered is great for those full of desire but somewhat lacking in mechanical ability/experience.

Me? I love to take my stuff apart. How else am I going to know how they work? :)

BillCA

Owning mostly S&W's, Colts and 1911's, I long ago purchased the excellent shop manuals by Jerry Kuhnhausen to learn the ins and outs of maintenance and repairs. There's a huge amount of information in these books even for the novice.

The best words of advice I can give anyone is to first read everything you can about maintaining your gun. The second is to buy a quality set of tools before embarking on taking your gun apart. A quality screwdriver set or kit, a light brass or plastic mallet, a punch set and any specialty tools recommended for your gun (e.g. bushing wrench, spring compressors, etc.)

Hallucinator

Some people are talented at this kind of thing. I'm not. If I need anything done besides field stripping and cleaning, I either send it back to the manufacturer or take it to a gunsmith.

IZinterrogator

I've only taken apart my 1911s and my Beretta 92-series pistols, because I have the military 30-level manuals and detailed instructions from the internet for them. The Sigs, the USP, and the Beretta Neos only get a field-strip and a good blast of Gunscrubber where I can't get to in there, along with a small dose of CLP spray afterwards.