Do you prefer any guns chambered in 9x18?

Are any of them preferable (to you) in terms of features, reliability, carry size or anything else?

As a guy fairly new to handguns, bought five since mid-April.
From my perspective the reliability, size and rugged design, plus possibility of more import bans gives them lots of appeal.

Also bought a Russian Mak. in .380 auto for 'ammo diversity' as a back-up for any (possible) future issues with imported lower-cost 9x18 ammo.

JimmyR

I own a Bulgarian Makarov and a CZ 82, both in 9mm Makarov (9x18). The CZ 82 is a great carry gun, with 12 rounds in a pretty compact package with a great feel and easy to reach controls. I have no problems carrying that gun. The Bulgie's grip feels a little uncomfortable, and the gun isn't as rounded as the CZ 82, but i would put that gun against almost any other in a torture test. It's super easy to repair, and parts are still fairly easily available. Great bug out gun.

Limnophile

CZ 82. High capacity (12+1), can be carried cocked and locked, and a nice compact, carriable size. The CZ 83 was also chambered in 9 Makarov, but I don't think many of them in this chambering were imported. The 83 and 82 are essentially the same gun.

JimmyR

I was always under the impression that the CZ83 was the same as the 82 except chambered in 9x17/380.

ETA- Never mind, I just educated myself. Ignore me.

rightside

Another CZ 82 fan. They just fit well, easy to shoot well and reasonably good for carry. What's not to like?:)
(I have 4, can't help myself)

qwiksdraw

My two Russian Commercial Makarovs are fun to shoot. They are reliable, accurate and almost indestructible!

98 220 swift

I also have a cz82 its a nice very accurate pistol. I used to carry it at times but have not in a while. I lost out to a keltec p11. Holds 1 less round but it is more powerful 9x19. Also it is somewhat lighter. The grip length on the cz was alittle long I could only carry it IWB with a jacket or sweatshirt on.

tallball

I have a Russian Makarov and my FiL has a CZ83. They are both excellent. They happen to be in 380, but I would expect the 9x18 versions to be just as good.

Cheapshooter

Another CZ 82 fan. They just fit well, easy to shoot well and reasonably good for carry. What's not to like?
The fact that for the size, and weight the cartridge it's chambered for is a millimeter too short! :eek:

Of my three 9X18 Makarov chambered guns it's kind of a toss up.
P64 is decent, but the factory DA trigger is horrendous, while the SA is almost dangerously light. Fun range gun as long as you use a little extra effort to avoid unintended double taps.

CZ82 shoots very well, reliable, and is accurate. Higher capacity would be of some help in overcoming a milder chambering. Good for home, or vehicle if smeone is recoil intolerant. But for it's size, and weight there are better choices in more effective chamberings that aren't really any more difficult to handle once one gets over the mental stigma of recoil that some people seem to have.

East German Makarov. I saved the best for last. Although again because of excessive size and weight for the chambering I don't carry mine, it is truly a beautiful example of German craftsmanship blendended into Russian rugged design. It is acceptably accurate for SD, and would not be uncomfortable to cary concealed in a good IWB holster. It has been completely reliable with what ever ammo I put in it. If I were to carry any of my 9X18 pistols it would be my East German Makarov.

JJ45

Mak

To OP, yes. I have two E.German and two Bulgarian military Makarovs.

I have a myriad of holsters, etc. including Falco IWBs, Israeli Paddle, Done Hume,Bianchi and of course military in every persuasion except Chinese. I have matching serial # magazines for one Bulgarian. As some of you know the used to come with a flap holster, two mags, a combo cleaning rod and lanyard. The standard price from surplus vendors was 159.99 for a long time but you could find them for less.

A couple different grips but I prefer the stock military. I even have an East German lanyard that I believe is somewhat rare. Extractor tool, etc

I also have a "BEAST" Slide that I'll bet few are familiar with. Its a Mak slide with a Novak rear and Heine front sight. These were offered by Makarov.com years ago. Named after a guy named Jeff Beast.

I have a C&R and I bought the last E.G. for $99 on clearance sale from SOG Surplus .
What I like about the Mak is it's simplicity. I can completely field strip a Mak mag and put it back together in about 15 seconds.

DA/SA Fan

Never shot an actual Makarov or the CZ but I have never heard a bad thing about either of them. My Polish P-83 is a very sweet shooter. It feels almost identical to my Walther P-1 and that was always my benchmark for a soft shooting accurate gun.

Limnophile

I was always under the impression that the CZ83 was the same as the 82 except chambered in 9x17/380.

There are some minor, mostly cosmetic differences between the two. The 82 was chambered only in 9 Makarov (9x18), while the 83 was chambered in .380 Auto (9x17, 9 Browning), .32 Auto (7.65 Browning), 9 Makarov, and, as I recall, a 9mm rubber less lethal round.

TunnelRat

I enjoyed the CZ 82 I had. It wasn't overly unpleasant as I find some block back guns to be. That said I still preferred to wear gloves if doing multiple boxes of ammo to save the web of my hand.

Ibmikey

OP, if you notice most of the pistols listed cvcZ 82 & 83, P 64, various country's military Makarov, the pA-63 all of which were designed to shoot steel case ammo which lowers range costs. I have all of the above pistols and they are the few that i will purchase steel cased ammo for, the CZ 82 in my opinion is the best of the bunch. The CZ 82 is accurate, has a quite nice trigger on Single action and totorable in the DA mode of fire. The Comblock pistols are mostly rugged and not highly finished (EG Mak the exception) but will shoot under the most adverse conditions and will gobble steel case crap all day long. I have the opinion that FMJ rounds work best in auto loaders and feel two plus shots fired quickly will put down any unruly animal at your door.

doofus47

Bulgie Makarov.
Reliable like a nail. If it's doing something wrong, it's b/c the guy with the hammer did something wrong.