Do you prefer a safety on your CCW?

Do you prefer a safety on your CCW?

• Yes I prefer a safety.

Votes: 70 35.4%
  • No I do not prefer a safety.

Votes: 128 64.6%

• Total voters
I prefer safeties because I have kids and no matter how responsible you are, Kids are Kids
Surely I am misreading your post.

I am sure you are not saying that it is okay to leave guns around kids as long as it has a safety and it is engaged.

MACVSOG

okay to leave guns around kids as long as it has a safety and it is engaged

NOOOOOO:eek:

Never, I'm apologize if you understand that.

MAC

chris in va

The *only* gun I would consider having a manual safety with is the 1911 platform. Otherwise none of my carry guns have one.

Boris Bush

For my personal carry guns I have a P32 that has no safety, and my CZ82 and CZ75 have safeties that only work if the gun is cocked, and I carry them hammer down.

When a gun is not on me it is protected by the ultimate safety. ME. I keep them in an electronic gunsafe that only my wife an myself know the combo to.

BillCA

This may be a newb question, but I don't understand the difference here. Most revolvers don't have a manual safety. What's the difference between carrying a revolver that is DA and a semi-auto that is DA on the first pull without a safety?

On pistols that are DAO like the Kahr or some S&W autos, there isn't really a difference.

With the "traditional" DA/SA autos, however, with the safety off, some designs will allow a hard blow to the hammer to discharge the weapon. Less than comforting if you carry IWB. :D

Kreyzhorse

From a carry piece, I prefer to not have a safety. My main carry is a S&W revolver but I carry a Glock 22 and a Springfield 1911 on occasion. I don't mind the safety on the Spingfield but I do worry about ever "needing" the gun and failing to disengage the safety. Disengaging the safety sounds like a simple thing that you can't forget to do, but as a hunter I can tell you that in the heat of the battle it is very easy to forget to disengage it.

Camguy

My carry piece is a Beretta 92, and I use the safety. I like the fact that engaging it rotates the firing pin out of the way so there's no chance of it going off if it's dropped onto the hammer.
My revolvers are Rugers, and I like the transfer bar system for the same reason. I'd be reluctant to carry a loaded chamber under the hammer for the same reason.
I also like the fact that it's a de-cocker.
I just practice making flipping the safety part of my draw.

MLeake

I answered "no," but

then again, my usual CCW is a Sig C3 1911, with thumb safety.

I really don't mind a frame mounted thumb safety; it's reflex to me to take it off safe during the draw.

I don't like slide mounted safeties, in general. In my experience with them (primarily Berettas), they take just an instant more effort to manipulate, as flicking my thumb up and away from my grip feels much less natural then pulling it down and into my grip. This is not to say that they don't work, and I must admit I enjoy watching the firing pin of my Beretta rotate offline when I put it on safe, but that for me it takes just a slight bit more concentration to use them.

In an SD scenario, the less concentration needed on the weapon itself, the better.

So, the thumb safety on my 1911 isn't really an issue. For an SD gun, it edges my P220 because its slimmer profile and smaller butt let it conceal more easily. I prefer both over my Beretta because I like the P220's decocker and the 1911's frame safety better than the slide safety on the Beretta.

Cheers,

M

OnTheFly

BillCA said:
With the "traditional" DA/SA autos, however, with the safety off, some designs will allow a hard blow to the hammer to discharge the weapon.

Couldn't a hard blow to the hammer of a revolver do the same, or would it be carried without a round in the cylinder under hammer?

Fly

drail

I have to agree with Mleake, flipping a safety UP is just so wrong. Besides if you really need more than a good wheelgun you better have artillery or air support.

Big Boomer

I carry an XD without manual safety (unless you consider the grip safety one), I also carry a 1911 and prefer a manual safety for a couple of reasons.

1. With a single action trigger (and light at that) I prefer one.

2. With the possibility of my firearm being taken away from me It may save my life. This is the more important aspect. Scuffle ensues, (blindsided by punch or club before you can react) as you regain your senses they (BG's) rummaging for your wallet and find your pistol instead! You go to grab it and they put the finger in the trigger guard and pull the trigger, but wait! Nothing happens, why because they haven't figured out that it's on safety.

I'll carry either depending on the day, I also have a revolver as a bug, and with those I have to have a transfer bar in one.

blind_shooter

i prefer the DA/SA setup myself because I have nothing to else to do once I take it out of the holster. maybe im just addicted to SIG;)

WVfishguy

I saw a video on TV of a jewelry store owner getting robbed.

The store owner had a 1911, the robber had a snub nose revolver. They both drew at the same time. The robber's revolver went bang, the store owner's gun did not, and the merchant went down with a slug in him.

He forgot to disengage the safety on the 1911.

I don't like manual safeties.

exprt9

It makes no difference with me whether the gun has a safety or not. Some of my CCW guns don't have a manual safety and some do. I practice drills with all of them, safety or not. : )