Do you prefer a safety on your CCW?

Do you prefer a safety on your CCW?

• Yes I prefer a safety.

Votes: 70 35.4%
  • No I do not prefer a safety.

Votes: 128 64.6%

• Total voters

worldishis

Looking for a CCW and I would like see what the general concensus is on safeties with your carry weapons.

What do you prefer, safety or no safety and why?

Last edited:

PSP

No, for the simple reason, I want my CCW as simple as possible. I carry a Seecamp and a HK P2000SK. I have carried a pistol with a safety, but I never used it.

Moe Howard

I would rather not have one. I have carried guns with safety's but always carried them with safety off, with the exception of a 1911.

DennisE

I carry a 9mm 1911 style Springfield EMP. 1911's, of course with the thumb safety, are the way to go! Dennis

doc540

yes

Circumstances dictate that I carry in deep cover in a SmartCarry holster, a soft cloth holster inside my pants below my beltline. I engage in physical activities that often create pressure or contact with my carry gun.

An accidental discharge could sever an artery in my left leg, and I could bleed out.

A semi-auto with a safety or a revolver works best for my particular situation.

And in case anyone is wondering about the SmartCarry:

1. It does NOT aim the gun at my privates
2. I can still draw and fire it in about 3 seconds

suit1.jpg

TBT

I would rather not have one, but carrying a 1911 for a few years taught me the muscle memory needed to be proficient at it. It can be learned either way.

Dobe

It depends on the type of gun. For a 1911, sure. There is no problem with an external manual safety, if you learn the manual of arms. On the other hand, a P7 has no real need.

slick slidestop

I didnt vote in the Poll because there was no option for No preference.

I have a Glock that I carry with no safety and I am not concerned, and also have a Walther PPK that I carry with the safety on usually but also feel comfortable with that as well.

armedandsafe

I prefer DA first round over a safety. Partly that is because I carry lefty and that puts the safety exposed, instead of protected against my body. If I were to carry 1911, I would use the (ambi) safety, because I've trained on that platform.

Pops

BillCA

Yes, I prefer a manual safety over a passive one such as the Glock, et al.

Why? Because I'm much more comfortable with that arrangement. I prefer wheelguns but I also carry a pistol from time to time. I've done extensive training on both 1911 and S&W pistols and I'm confident that releasing the safety is a non-issue for me. I want to know that the gun cannot fire while reholstering or when in the holster. I want to feel confident that during a scuffle it is highly unlikely that the gun will discharge while in the holster from any sort of impact on the trigger.

But then, I also prefer a thumbreak holster on most of my autos with the strap riding between the hammer and slide. That's just me. It's what I'm used to and confident in using.

OnTheFly

doc540 said:
A semi-auto with a safety or a revolver works best for my particular situation.

This may be a newb question, but I don't understand the difference here. Most revolvers don't have a manual safety. What's the difference between carrying a revolver that is DA and a semi-auto that is DA on the first pull without a safety?

Fly

I have said before and will repeat it here...I do not like a manual safety on my CCW. I prefer a point and shoot firearm. I like grip safeties since they are passive but not manual ones like thumb safeties.

MACVSOG

Safeties?

For me is the same because you may carry your gun with the safeties off. I prefer safeties because I have kids and no matter how responsible you are, Kids are Kids (you understand) and you never know:eek:...

If you want carry without safeties is simple, just turn them off.

Have fun