Do you Dry Fire???

ltc444

When I am in traing for competition, I dry fire 10 times for every live round I fire. In my mind, SFC Reed is still on my posterior for not dry fireing enough.

When I develope a flinch I play ball and dummy until I'm cured.

5RWill

I dry fire a lot also. I developed a flinch a while back, moved up to a twelve gauge when i wasn't ready. Wasn't long before i saw it affecting my rifle shooting. This was before i was serious about shooting though, i noticed i missed deer which bothered me, but it wasn't until i really got into shooting that i fixed it. Technically i still have a adrenaline rush and anticipation of the rifle going off when going to through a slow pull. But mind>matter and i just follow fundamentals. It's more noticeable when I haven't shot in a while. Versus shooting every weekend when i was closer to home last year, which was nice. Was so used to the trigger pull of my .308 followed with the same recoil impulse i was watching my shots through my SN-3. Dry firing in the dark helps even more.

bumnote

All of them, all the time...including rimfire guns. I use snap caps in all them so I can practice not just the trigger pull, but also working the slide, bolt, or cylinder. If you CCW it's essential, IMO. I either buy the snap caps of make 'em, empty case with a bullet and for the primer pocket I glue a part of a pencil eraser in it.

Camar

To me its most important with handguns. Rifles I not only dry fire, but I snap in in the 5 positions.

Sgt.Fathead

I dryfire with my carry gun daily, practicing my draw from concealment, getting on target and firing. I haven't yet done so, ever, with my HD shotgun but did a whole lot of snapping in and dryfire with the M16A2 in the USMC.

When I get a new Ruger DA revolver, I dryfire it without aiming a considerable amount to smooth out the trigger. I have been known to read my Kindle while dryfiring a GP100 nonstop for hours.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'm currently reading Anthony Marsh's excellent book, "Fourteen Years in the African Bush". At one point he relates meeting a person who had spent time with W.D.M. (Karamojo) Bell. Bell was well-known for being an exceptional rifle shot, with some reports that he was so good he was able to wingshoot birds with his rifle. Marsh says that the person who knew Bell said that he drove everyone nuts constantly dryfiring his rifle.

There's not a way to prove a cause and effect relationship, but it seems clear that a lot of dryfiring doesnt hurt one's marksmanship abilities.

Navy joe

I'd say there is a way to prove cause and effect, all the champions dryfire. I've fallen off the wagon a bit, don't shoot bear enough. I still have a little spray paint dot on the basement wall I go after. When I was single I had little paper cut-out miniature IPSC targets, steel, no-shoots, hardcover and all. Stick them all over the house and go wild. The cat was more understanding than my sweet wife would be.

The naysayers to dryfire???? Why?

Etiquette is important, I don't dryfire other people's stuff and I dryfire inobservance of the 4 rules.

Rimfire, supposedly the pin in my Marvel impacts a shoulder before the chamber mouth so dryfire is not supposed to hurt it. I will also stick a spent case in the chamber.

The only other gun that I knew of that I couldn't dryfire was a CZ-52 I owned. Kills them, quick. I do not habitually dryfire my 90 year old drilling either, something about breaking a $4000 gun that no one is going to fix. I have snapcaps for the shotgun barrels so I can relieve the springs there.

Grant D

I think it started with percussion fire weapons.Dry firing will mushroom the nipples so the caps won't fit.
I dry fire all my centerfire handguns.

FTG-05

I dry fire my S&W 329PD in .44 Magnum quite often. I made up some home made snap caps with re-sized and empty cases with 240 grain bullets. I used some blue RTV in the primer pockets to somewhat cushion the firing pin hit.

Justice06RR

I always dryfire my semiauto's and my AR15's for trigger/shooting practice (after clearing them of course). Never have any issues. like they say, practice makes perfect..

doofus47

I use snap caps in both my handguns and rimfire rifles

When I work from home, I sit at the kitchen table and play a game where I try to "shoot" as quickly as possible all the knobs on a couple cabinet doors from across the room.

jcvibby:

Serious dry firing develops grip, trigger finger placement, sight alignment and trigger release. When I was shooting on several Marine Corps rifle and pistol teams I dry fired this way for about thirty minuets a day: some times longer

I placed a kitchen chair with its back facing me about ten feet form a blank white wall with no target. The chair simulates the firing line bench. With the pistol resting on the back of the chair I got my grip, placed my finger on the trigger, focused my eyes on the front sight and raised the pistol. Next I aligned the sights on the wall and released the trigger. Any disturbance of my sight alignment from my trigger release was apperant.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

8MM Mauser

I dry fire my rifle and pistol at a target at a target taped up in my basement, to develop trigger control and help build the muscles that hold the gun up for offhand shooting.

Most of my dry firing is offhand, though I do sometimes lay the rifle across my workbench and fire five to ten times. I mostly don't see the point in "training" to shoot off a bench other than just getting into and maintaining a good position.

With my HD shotgun I will step into one of the rooms in my house (when I am home alone) and dry fire at five different targets as fast as I can. I try to mentally imagine the targets before I enter the room. Sometimes I set them up on purpose. It at least feels like great practice for acquiring a super quick sight picture and squeezing the trigger.

Cycrops

I have been dry-firing for about an hour a week using snap caps. The DA pull in my Beretta is very heavy but I want to see if I can learn to fire it accurately (my first range session with the gun saw my DA shots way off target). I expect dry firing will be good for getting to know the trigger as well as building strength for my grip and trigger finger.

I've been doing this in the living room, but despite being paranoid about safety and making sure not to have any live rounds in the same room with me, I think I'm going to move my dry fire operations to the basement where I can aim at a concrete wall and be sure no family members come walking by.

This thread also gave me the idea of taping up targets that match those I use at the range to help me acquire my front site faster (picking a random point on the fireplace mantle doesn't seem to work well for that).

Neven

I practice with dry firing and so does the agency I work for. Any new scenario is always ran while dry firing and then done live. For work I use a Glock 22 and when at home for fun my single action Rugers. Never had any issues.

bejay

have always dry fired but maybe not excessivly and never have had any problems from doing it so far.

TheWanderingRed

Per advice I've received here actually, I dry fire my Ruger at least three times a week. Mostly working on sight picture, and smooth trigger pull, also strengthening my arms.
Working my way up to deployment drills etc. In the mean time its much cheaper than feeding this thing.

gunsgongcrazy

I do it regularly with all. As far as the rimfires go, I never used to dry fire but I did some trigger work recently on my Marlin 917 and had to test my work. I put an empty shell in the chamber for this when I was testing/tuning.