Do You Degrease Before Nail Polish On Sights?

jtmckinney

Do you degrease the metal before applying nail polish to your sights. I am fixing to try this on a BG-38 I have and was thinking it probably would be a good idea. If so what do you use? I am thinking alcohol but also have mineral spirits available.

Any other observations from experience using this method would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
James

Bob Wright

Lacquer thinner is the very best stuff for degreasing. Anything more violatile evaporates too fast, often forming frost on the steel.

But I do prefer black sights.

Bob Wright

jtmckinney

I Got The First Coat On

Went to the drugstore and bought a $2 bottle of bright white, forget the actual name but the color was what I was looking for. Nobody screamed that mineral spirits would ruin the finish so I used that and so far so good. Applied the mineral spirits with Q-tip and nail polish with the applicator and a round toothpick. I am going to apply another coat in a couple hours, let it dry overnight and then see how durrable it is. This is my EDC I carry in a pocket holster so should know in a few days.

Thanks for the replys!
James

Drm50

Painted sights

I am into making my own fishing lures. I'm using vinyl paint from do-it co.
This paint is thinned with acetone, the best degreaser. The paint is available
in all colors and flouresent and glow also. Use acetone to degrease sight and
apply chosen color. This stuff stays on sight, won't crack off like enamel.
Available from Cabela any many fishing tackle suppliers. If you want to remove
wipe with acetone.

Hammerhead

In general use the solvent that is compatible with the finish/paint/polish you're applying, which is acetone in this case.

Pathfinder45

Absolutely

Paint thinner would work, but it takes way to long to evaporate. Drygas or lacquer thinner would be better. My favorite is Acetone. It evaporates in seconds before your eyes, and you are immediately ready for the next step. MEK would also be a very good choice.

peggysue

So that is what I am sniffing. Really rubbing alcohol is less volatile and works great too. To each their own. Brake cleaner, paint thinner, starting fluid..

Model12Win

Right now I'm painting the sight of my S&W model 64 with Testor's enamel model paint. I degreased with 91% rubbing alcohol, put down two coats of flat white then one coat of fluorescent orange. It looks great, will hit it with one more coat of the orange tonight and let it dry for a couple days completely.

Auto5

I generally don't find oil or lube on my front sight, but you can use any of the solutions mentioned above. I used rubbing alcohol just because it was handy. I use white appliance touchup paint on my front sights.

Gun Slide Guy

another vote for degreasing with acetone. I do a lot of it, and that's what I use. Evaporates in seconds once the piece is removed.

jtmckinney

Next time I am at the hardware store I will pick up some acetone. I was worried about the effect on the guns finish but it must be ok.

I am happy with the results. It has only been a few days but has held up good so far. I shot it for the first time a couple days ago in a very dark lane at a local indoor range and was able to pick up the sights, had the sights been original black that would have been a lot more difficult.

Thanks to all those that replied.
Hope everyone has a great Christmas!
James