Do some 22lr ammunition jam more than others?

doofus47

I had issues with my SR22 and Winchester high velocity 40gr ammo.

I just stick with CCI and armscorp 36gr now.

bassJAM1

That has been my experience as well. I tried Auto Match in 7 different semi-autos with no success. I was starting to wonder if it would even function in my bolt actions. (It did function in my 1416 Anschutz but accuracy was poor.) I'll never buy it again.

I was starting to wonder the same thing so I put some through my Savage Mark II. It did cycle, but yeah, accuracy was pretty bad. Now I've got 8 unopened bricks of 325, and 2 opened boxes that I have no idea what to do with.

JJ45

Besides an occasional dud round I can pretty much count on one malfunction in about every 200 rounds for both of the Ruger autos I mentioned in the above post. A stove pipe, F to eject, F to feed, etc.

Some ammo simply chokes the MK II like CCI Stingers, which are not recommended...the longer case is the reason. I haven't even tried it in the MK III.

One thing is that if you can find an accurate, reliable load for your pistol that is always in production like Mini Mags or FederaL AE, etc. then you have found the "Holy Grail" of rimfire shooting...an example is my MK II shot like a first class target pistol with the load CCI Mini Mag Plus V. It had a plated bullet ,somewhat like a wadcutter shape, but they quit making them rather quickly. The same can be said for a load called Mini Mag Sillouette which I haven't seen for a while.

bassJAM1

OP is 10 years old.

Oops, completely missed that. I always wonder about the reasoning of pulling up such an old thread, why exactly does one find those and then knowingly decide to respond?

JoeSixpack

The 36 grain copper HP's that walmart sells was my favorite due to price, But I haven't bought a pack in like 8 years.. partly due to no stock and partly because of the price increase, I don't shoot 22's much these days.

I never had a problem with the jamming any more than any other bulk 22 ammo though.
It ran my semi's fine.. I did have a fair amount of duds though.

Bulk 22 is pretty much all the same imo.. more expensive target, match, speciality loads usually are better all the way around.

I will say though that I think CCI makes the best 22lr.. but they usually aren't the cheapest either.. But I believe ATK owns both federal and CCI so *shrug*

TailGator

I have been buying CCI lately. . . Mini Mags and SV

I believe you, but CCI SV is the only ammo that has ever choked my Neos. Appears to be a feeding problem. Definitely an individual thing with .22 pistols.

pete2

Try CCI ammo, mini mags, std both work in my Mark II. Some Federals work in it. the last Winchesters I bought inc. SuperX was crap. Remington is crap also. I haven't tried the higher priced stuff. CCI has been most reliable.